WNOGB #10 Interview with coach Spav (pre spring practice)

Bobkat34

Guys this interview is EYE opening (some is obvious stuff, some coach speak but also some reminders like about waiting for some talented players test scores and having more time to wait for them with signing until August now).

Recruiting: Have 15 ships

-Recruiting HS recruits at most/every position
-Recruiting transfer portal with HS coaches contacting them about kids in portal and wanting to get back to Texas
-APR all screwed up and that may bold well for us (I believe we had a pretty low APR but just above the score); noted didn't take a full HS class and other schools are stacking 25 and 25 stacking freshmen... close to 75% in 2021 roster.

It doesn't mean we should feel better about having 15 ships but it sure makes going after needs a bit easier in JC or portal.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
waiting for some talented players test scores and having more time to wait for them with signing until August now).
This intrigues me. Because I'm a masochist, I scrolled the list of TX recruits this year to see how many uncommitted players were out there, what positions, etc in the past week or so. There's some legit talent out there, and just from :30 second sleuthing my assumption was grades being why. If that pans out for multiple HS recruits, I'd be pretty stoked. I guess he could be referring to juco too, but would think they were June, not Aug.
-Recruiting transfer portal with HS coaches contacting them about kids in portal and wanting to get back to Texas
This has always been my thought process on best bang for the buck on transfers. Guys that wanted to go P5 and the out of state program was a better option that the in-state (for whatever reason), and it didn't work out (for whatever reason). The number of high 3* that leave TX for mediocre and crap P5 teams is just mind numbing when those kids would kill it for us.
-APR all screwed up and that may bold well for us (I believe we had a pretty low APR but just above the score)
Don't see how that math works, but we're close enough to losing practice hours over it, so I'm sure he's hyper aware of grades and what needs to happen to gain some clearance from 930.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Guys this interview is EYE opening (some is obvious stuff, some coach speak but also some reminders like about waiting for some talented players test scores and having more time to wait for them with signing until August now).

Recruiting: Have 15 ships

-Recruiting HS recruits at most/every position
-APR all screwed up and that may bold well for us (I believe we had a pretty low APR but just above the score); noted didn't take a full HS class and other schools are stacking 25 and 25 stacking freshmen... close to 75% in 2021 roster.

It doesn't mean we should feel better about having 15 ships but it sure makes going after needs a bit easier in JC or portal.
wait what was said about APR and why is that helpful for us?