Game Day Experience

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
ECU played in San Antonio last week… it was utsa who had empty stadium
Damn, I botched that, eh? ECU is avg a hair under 38K on the season.
ECU has always had a decent sized fan base though.
Looking back at their record over the years, they get good in spurts and really good occasionally.

I remember them blowing up in 1991 w/ Jeff Blake - their first winning season since 1983.
94-2000 - 1 losing season, avg just under 8-4 in the 6 others (days of 12 game seasons, bowl included)
06-2014 - 1 losing season, avg just over 8-5 in the 8 others, 1 10 win season
From 1991 - 2022, 32 seasons, they had: 2 10+W seasons, 11 8+W seasons, 16 Winning seasons and one .500, 15 Bowl Games, 6 Bowl Wins

I would bet that's Top 10 G5 over that time period.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
Damn, I botched that, eh? ECU is avg a hair under 38K on the season.

Looking back at their record over the years, they get good in spurts and really good occasionally.

I remember them blowing up in 1991 w/ Jeff Blake - their first winning season since 1983.
94-2000 - 1 losing season, avg just under 8-4 in the 6 others (days of 12 game seasons, bowl included)
06-2014 - 1 losing season, avg just over 8-5 in the 8 others, 1 10 win season
From 1991 - 2022, 32 seasons, they had: 2 10+W seasons, 11 8+W seasons, 16 Winning seasons and one .500, 15 Bowl Games, 6 Bowl Wins

I would bet that's Top 10 G5 over that time period.
Yeah, that was utsa’s homecoming as well so we’re not the only ones with attendance woes.

Yeah they have had some good and bad years. IIRC they also played in the Southern Conference albeit briefly with VaTech (1-2 years) and WVU (4 years)… they’ve always thought of themselves as a deserving team/university to be with the big boys in a big boy conference. I’d be ecstatic to have as many people in the stands as they do

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
So, was anyone else underwhelmed with SMU's stadium? Considering the obscene amount of money at SMU I expected more. Personally I think Bobcat Stadium is a lot nicer. I was surprised that the upper sections were metal bleachers.
And the concession lines... Geez what a mess. Parking too.
I wish they would move this bowl game to McLane Stadium. It's much nicer and better setup for a bowl game. Selfishly it would be nice to have a bowl game more located closer to me as well...

LSU Bobcat

Damn. I had the opposite experience. Parking was perfect. We got to campus and about an 1 hr and 45 min from gametime and drove straight to the Binkley garage. I've never encountered a gameday with such little traffic. We get out and the band was a 1 minute walk and the stadium was just a few minutes away. I liked their stadium. Looked like good views from every seat and the concourse was continuous from one end to the other. Tiger stadium is this cobbled together random mess and not connected, it's a shit show. The concession lines weren't bad. Not great, but moved fast. Being able to just grab your stuff and go pay was nice. Now their quantity of beer, that's a different story.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
That's good to hear! We drove on to campus about an hour before kickoff and we're met with a gridlock. I guess I should have gotten there earlier.
And don't get me wrong, the stadium is fine, I guess I just had higher expectations.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Yeah I thought the stadium was pretty barebones. I kind of liked the metal bleachers though since the Bobcats added to the noise with their feet. Parking was fine though and it was quick enough getting off of campus.

Campus was gorgeous though. Almost felt like a park.

txphi592

M&G Gift Planner/Donor
M&G Collective Member
Took us 45m to get from Mockingbird to Binkley garage, you guys that drove right in must have just missed the gridlock. It was pretty awful.

Club area and suites were just OK, wayyyy sub par of Bobcat Stadium club level and suites. I guess not a fair comparison considering ours is much newer construction but we have definitely "done more with less" IMO.

Mpf43

Not impressed. We took an uber from torchy’ and had to get out and walk because traffic was not moving. Concessions were a mess but mainly due to lack of beer. Zero replays with what i thought were questionable calls. Very little use of the jumbo screen. No stats visible in the stadium at all. No light show, no ribbon board. Only one lane to get up and down from the second level, at lease if your a big guy. I thought that stadium made me appreciate bobcat stadium even more.

atxman

I wish they would move this bowl game to McLane Stadium. It's much nicer and better setup for a bowl game. Selfishly it would be nice to have a bowl game more located closer to me as well...
I’ve been wondering whether Waco would try to host a bowl. Great stadium, easy drive on 35. They could tie in to Conference USA or the Sun Belt. Having grown up in Waco, for many years I couldn’t have imagined a more boring city for a bowl game. But the downtown area has changed quite a bit, and Baylor alums seem to enjoy driving in for games. Certainly can’t be worse than bowl cities like Montgomery, Mobile, Shreveport, etc. And it would be a boost for the local economy. I bet Bobcat fans would show. But do the Baptists sell beer at McLane?

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Ooooh. Yeah they do not sell beer. Stadium is probably too big anyways.

If UMHBs stadium held like 20k I'd say their stadium would be perfect for a bowl but they probably dont sell beer either.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
They sell booze in the Baylor Club (which is inside the stadium) and I have been told the concession stands are setup to sell beer at non-Baylor events. If not, then I agree it's a no go.
Waco has changed a lot in the last decade or so and there is definitely fun to be had here.

franslasttwinkie

They sell booze in the Baylor Club (which is inside the stadium) and I have been told the concession stands are setup to sell beer at non-Baylor events. If not, then I agree it's a no go.
I was at the TTU - Baylor game at Jerry World back in 2009 and The Bears even bought up I guess the potential proceeds of such libations at that neutral site. Do they still do that? I'd assume they would be a no go on their own property regardless of if they are actually playing in the game.

Jecbobcat

Waco has changed a lot in the last decade or so and there is definitely fun to be had here.
Premium areas: yes. Other concessions are not set up for alcohol. There has not been much progress in getting beer in the stadium.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
I was at the TTU - Baylor game at Jerry World back in 2009 and The Bears even bought up I guess the potential proceeds of such libations at that neutral site. Do they still do that? I'd assume they would be a no go on their own property regardless of if they are actually playing in the game.
I'm not sure but it is odd that they find it ok to sell booze in their restaurant/club but not in the concessions.
I mean it's Baylor, if they can find a loophole to make a little extra $$, then they'll turn a blind eye.

atxman

True story: My old parish priest in Waco (an Irish immigrant, now passed away) was a leader in the 1960s to make Waco wet. Our family was a founding member of our parish. When he met my mom at the time, one of his first questions was, “Are you registered to vote?” He wanted every vote he could get for a ballot measure to allow liquor sales in the city. Anyway, he recalled stories like that when he visited Mom while she was in hospice care more than a decade ago. “But don’t let anyone tell you it was just the Catholics who voted that way,“ he told us in his distinct Irish brogue. “We had plenty of Baptists on our side.”