Realignment Super Thread

B

BigGreenTruck

Realignment aside, I find this fascinating. Of all the sports that Marshall could be awesome at, soccer is where they kick ass? Just so totally opposite the stereotype of the sport and school/state. After looking at the Top 25, one could say similar about many of the schools listed.

Back to realignment - I'm stoked that Marshall is joining. Always felt like they were what we should be - the blue collar, second fiddle school that wasn't always good, but every couple of years came out with a hell of a squad and surprised everyone.
From 1979 the inception of most college soccer programs and when Marshall started to 2011 Marshall had 12 winning seasons. In 2003 the men's soccer program was the equivalent of a condemned prisoner's red phone going off. The then AD was 24 hours away from cutting the sport. The asst AD (former Marshall soccer player) leaked it to the papers in Charleston and Huntington. The firestorm it brought from the papers and soccer community made it to where he couldn't drop it. Unfortunately a program had to be cut to get Title IX compliant and Men's Track and Field was cut.

In 2011 Mike Hamrick the AD unveiled a plan to build an 8.3 million dollar soccer complex. A lot of people were scratching their heads and thought Hamrick lost his mind. They thought that money should either go back into football or basketball. Hoops Family Field opened in the fall of 2013, Chris Grassie (HC DII Universty of Charleston, 46 miles east of Huntington) was hired in Jan of 2017 and Marshall had a National Title in the spring of 2021 (Recognized as the 2020 National Champions).

So it only took 8 years from opening Hoops Family Field to have a national title, not bad.

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
“to get Title IX compliant”
This is probably the reason we don’t have men’s soccer. I too wish we had this sport, I think it would do really well in San Marcos. Maybe the AD will reconsider it one day.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
We could go off on a long tangent about Title IX, but my understanding is that TXST is always going to be a bit upside down, as we're a roughly 60% female school with a football team.

An institution is in compliance with the three-part test if it has met any one of the following three parts of the test: (1) the percent of male and female athletes is substantially proportionate to the percent of male and female students enrolled at the school; or (2) the school has a history and continuing practice of expanding participation opportunities for the underrepresented sex; or (3) the school is fully and effectively accommodating the interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex.

It's also my understanding that because we're at the minimum number of sports fielded (16) required for FBS schools, we're OK w/ the imbalance in actual scholarship numbers from a compliance standpoint. All that is to say that I don't understand how any of this works, other than the idea that there must be equal scholarship numbers for each gender is nowhere close to true.

DrumCat

I'll be honest, I hardly know anything about ODU. People seem to think it's a solid addition, but I feel like it's just another opponent where the majority of casual TXST fans/students/alums will say "who?"

B

BigGreenTruck

“to get Title IX compliant”
This is probably the reason we don’t have men’s soccer. I too wish we had this sport, I think it would do really well in San Marcos. Maybe the AD will reconsider it one day.
Men's soccer only has 9.9 scholarships. It's one of the few sports in IA that you can give partial scholarships in.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
it's just another opponent where the majority of casual TXST fans/students/alums will say "who?"
To be fair, those people have no clue what's going on here, much less outside their state.

ODU finished at 145 in the last Director's Cup, so they're decent overall.

119 ARST
133 ULL
151 GASO
166 TXST

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Men's soccer only has 9.9 scholarships. It's one of the few sports in IA that you can give partial scholarships in.
The vast majority of sports are partial scholarships.
In NCAA Division I, the following sports are “head-count” sports: men’s and women’s basketball, football, women’s gymnastics, women’s tennis, and women’s volleyball.
All other Division I sports, as well as all Division II sports, are “equivalency” sports. In equivalency sports, coaches can divide their scholarships up as they desire, as they long as they do not exceed the total allowable scholarship value available in their sport.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Marshall fan here and I can assure you we aren't going to the MAC. Both Jeff O'Malley (Interim AD) and Dr Jerome Gilbert (Outgoing President) have told Coach Chris Grassie that soccer will not be put on the back burner. And why would it, the new polls just came out yesterday and Marshall is #2 in the nation.

My guess is in 2023 the Sun Belt will start sponsoring soccer again with:
#2 Marshall
#5 Kentucky
RV WVU
ODU
JMU (Ranked part of the year)
Coastal Carolina (Ranked part of the year)
GA Southern
GA State
South Carolina

I would also try and get FIU (One of the only sports they know, currently ranked #17) and UCF (B12 doesn't sponsor soccer. hince WVU in the MAC and CUSA for 2022). Both the B12 and SEC don't sponsor soccer, WVU (B12) and Kentucky and South Carolina (SEC) will be CUSA members next year. Kentucky and South Carolina have followed Marshall befor from the MAC to CUSA, they will again too, along with WVU this time..

Marshall has done the MAC twice 1953-1969 and 1997-2004. The third time is not the charm.

All Marshall is doing is waiting on the new president to be announced Thursday Oct 28th, tomorrow.
Welcome to the Belt. I did business with Huntington Alloys/Inco in the mid- 80’s and have been impressed with your school and fan base ever since. I wish our fans were 10% as engaged as yours. I also ate at Bob Preutt’s Steakhouse about 10 yrs ago. Very good. Glad to have a team of Marshall’s stature in the conference.

Txst12

Baylor is ranked and their opponent record is 4-8 FBS, 5-11 overall - and they're not a good team at all.

But UTSA isn't going to jump from 39/38 to 25 in one week because they beat 0-4 UNLV.
Looking back on this, your Baylor take was and still is horrible. Baylor now sitting at 7-1, just knocked off UT as well as a couple ranked opponents already. They’re about to be a top 10-15 team.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Looking back on this, your Baylor take was and still is horrible
Not sure how it was horrible. I was using Baylor as an example as to how being ranked isn't really indicative of being good. I stand by that.

Baylor now sitting at 7-1, just knocked off UT as well as a couple ranked opponents already.
Texas is a bad football team and the two teams Baylor has beaten that were ranked at the time may not be ranked tomorrow - Iowa State certainly won't.

Is Baylor better today than they were a month ago? Yeah. Are they legit good? Ehhh...remains to be seen, but I'll wait until they've played OU and OKST to concede that one.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
My bad. I must have been looking at OU, seeing KState the week after, and had OKST on the head as their 1 loss already. But yeah, the fact that they lost to the best team they've played so far doesn't exactly hurt my stance.

TxSt1992

My bad. I must have been looking at OU, seeing KState the week after, and had OKST on the head as their 1 loss already. But yeah, the fact that they lost to the best team they've played so far doesn't exactly hurt my stance.
You have a very strict view in what makes a good team good. My own view is that good teams beat shitty teams on a consistent basis. Shitty sometimes win and sometimes struggle vs other shitty teams. Pathetic teams such as TXST may get lucky one or twice a season.