Realignment Super Thread

BobcatRaider

Liberty and nmst
Oof, brain lapse. What an atrocious conference.

In general I hate that 3 new FCS schools made the jump, but one of them being SHSU is the real terrible news for TXST.

Meanwhile we have our new AD publicly tweet a vote of confidence for our 7-22 head coach. The leadership at this university is a joke and to promote from within after years and years of the Trauth/Teis tandem is a slap in the face for the few fans who continue to watch.

I know I’m all over the place, but I’m just so sick of the bullshit from this athletic department.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
We at least took the necessary steps to become attractive enough for an invite from a legit FBS conference. They have not.

I guess you wish we were still D2?
The FCS team that beat us only started playing in ‘09 and just got beat by McNeese. We field D2 level teams but pay our way into D1 on the backs of the students. Sunbelt teams don’t care because it’s a guaranteed conference win.

Last edited:

TxSt1992

You essentially don’t want pretenders but that is what we are- the poster child for why a school should not move to FBS when it is clearly not ready to.
As far as on the field goes, absolutely. We have a very serious problem with winning games. However wins and losses, while extremely important, are still only part of the overall equation. We have facilities that few, if any FCS schools can match. Can we put 25,000+ in the stands? we've proven that we can, at least on occasion, and especially impressive considering the product on the field. If we ever start winning in a regular basis with 7-8+ wins being an average, then putting 20,000+/game in the stands shouldn't be a problem. Our coaches, although considered low by FBS standards, are still paid several times more than any FCS coach. Sam's coach for example earns $250k/year. Once you go into our location, number of students, number of alumni and overall setting (traditional college town) and it becomes easy to see why we are a legit FBS school. A school like SHSU has hit their ceiling. Around 20k students in a town more famous for its prisons than its university. One of the best winning percentages over the last decade and still only 5,000-7,000 people in the stands. That is just pathetic and all those are signs of a school better of staying in FCS until it resolves those issues.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
The FBS team that beat us only started playing in ‘09 and just got beat by McNeese. We field D2 level teams but pay our way into D1 on the backs of the students. Sunbelt teams don’t care because it’s a guaranteed conference win.
None of the FBS teams that have beaten us have even played McNeese

slycat

Ole Sammy is bringing their 4A high school stadium to CUSA. A new champion of worst stadium in FBS will be crowned.

Mpf43

They are currently better than txst and will be playing in a less competitive conference so i would be surprised if they don’t.

TxSt1992

I give SHSU credit for being a far more successful FCS program than we ever were. But this Huntsville Item article notes some of the obstacles they face. I also can’t see Conference-USA holding together very long.
I think they'll hold on for at least until the Big 12 is ready to move again, or maybe Pac 12 or MWC or AAC, either way they have at least a few years. If I were CUSA commissioner I would highly encouraging a few FCS to join in the meantime.