Realignment Super Thread

Bobcat2010

Admittedly, it’s hearsay. However, the addition of the eastern schools to increase conference revenue tracks.

The devaluation of the AAC (thank you UNT and UTSA), and it’s future reduction in payouts due to change in membership, leaves money to incentivize the Sunbelt additions.

What would this mean? Likely, more money after the new agreement is structured and that should happen after the 2023 season.

Currently: $400,000 - $800,000 Per School

2023+ (If this is accurate) : $2,000,000+ Per School

Benefits: as the lone Texas school in the Sunbelt, this is how you differentiate yourself from UNT, UTSA, UTEP, UTRGV and begin competing with traditional powers; facility upgrades and coaching salaries

Consequences: travel cost would increase, but the benefits far out way the cost of the increase.

CROCKPOT-ING

CROCKPOT

Last edited:

Bobcat2010

TXST may edge out UNT, UTSA, Rice, UAB, and Charlotte in media money.

So, in theory, we should have some real money for a head coach soon.

I got a really big team
They need some really big rings
They need some really nice things
Better be comin' with no strings
Better be comin' with no strings
We need some really nice things
We need some really big rings
I got a really big team

Last edited:

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Reading her own comments under her tweet, the SBC media payout per school was around $100k prior to the March 2018 contract being signed. Now expected to be around $2.5 million per school in the next deal. That's quite the leap in just a few years.

We backed into this situation with so much luck. If we had our way 8 years ago we'd be UTEP right now and welcoming SHSU back into our conference after everyone else left.

Like @Bobcat2010 said, this extra media deal $$ should help our athletics department a lot. Hopefully someone there knows what to do with it...

TxSt1992

Sam Houston vs. Texas State is the real rivalry.

I hope with the move away from UTSA with Sam moving up.
I don't know, it was never a great rivalry to begin with. Sam and SFA were always each other's main rivals with us trying to crash that party. We lacked our own big rival because Texas A&M-Kingsville (Texas A&I) never moved up from D-II. With that said, the loathing and jealousy towards us was pretty palpable when I checked out their board. I don't know if this would translate into big crowds for either school, the only reason to play them, but worth a try I guess.

Bobcat2010

I don't know, it was never a great rivalry to begin with. Sam and SFA were always each other's main rivals with us trying to crash that party. We lacked our own big rival because Texas A&M-Kingsville (Texas A&I) never moved up from D-II. With that said, the loathing and jealousy towards us was pretty palpable when I checked out their board. I don't know if this would translate into big crowds for either school, the only reason to play them, but worth a try I guess.
That’s valid. My position is set in traditional (names sake) rivalries. At least we have history with Sam.

Texas State vs. Tech
Texas State vs. Texas
Texas State vs. Rice
Texas State vs. Baylor
Texas State vs. TCU
Texas State vs. SMU

Our “rival” is UTSA, a directional school that has a 10 year old program. Regardless of their success, that doesn’t make a rivalry. That’s a cheap fix for competition while the Texas State brand establishes itself.

Last edited:

Marcato

That’s valid. My position is set in traditional (names sake) rivalries.

Texas State vs. Tech
Texas State vs. Texas
Texas State vs. Rice
Texas State vs. Baylor
Texas State vs. TCU
Texas State vs. SMU

As we sit, our “rival” is UTSA, a directional school that has 10 year old program. Regardless of their success, that doesn’t make a rivalry. That’s a cheap fix for competition while we establish ourselves.
I'd like a State vs Tech rivalry. it's not realistic by any means, but the names fit well for a rivalry. Plus it would be good to see the best college town in TX vs the worst college town in TX duke it out.

Bobcat2010

I'd like a State vs Tech rivalry. it's not realistic by any means, but the names fit well for a rivalry. Plus it would be good to see the best college town in TX vs the worst college town in TX duke it out.
The Natty Light would be FLOW’n.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
And in 2 weeks it'll be a full 10 years since we last played them.

That rivalry is dead and will have to be re-started basically from scratch. And in my opinion, rivalries form organically. Considering we're in different conferences I don't see it re-igniting.

Also, I have far more disdain for UTSA than I ever had for Sam.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
And in 2 weeks it'll be a full 10 years since we last played them.

That rivalry is dead and will have to be re-started basically from scratch. And in my opinion, rivalries form organically. Considering we're in different conferences I don't see it re-igniting.

Also, I have far more disdain for UTSA than I ever had for Sam.
Agreed. I hate UTSA. I don't even think about Shsu

vp98

UTSA has always been a rival. Football is not the only sport we play.
I remember when nutsac beat us in the Southland tournament in 1999 to deny us the championship and March Madness bid in Jeff Foster's senior year. First big win over us in any sport in school history.

Last edited: