Realignment Super Thread

TXST04

😄 😄 😄 I've been waiting for this exact thread to start for a couple of hours now! 😄 😄 😄
Not that it’s going to happen over night, but It would make a shit ton of sense for the other BIG XII teams that have planned trips to Austin; no changes needed but a slightly longer bus ride south. 🤪

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Well, if Don wanted an opportunity to show he's the man for the job, he just might get that opportunity real quick like.

The reality is that with Texas out of the B12, Houston is a no brainer as they would HAVE to have that TV market. You'd have to think getting back to a minimum of 12 is a must, at minimum, so that's 3 more slots...maybe as many as 7?

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
It hurts me to ask... but objectively, why would a conference pick us vs UTSA? We don't carry any major media markets. We also don't win games so all we have to sell ourselves on is hot chicks and river floats.
UTSA is broke and kept afloat by city government. TXST is its own university system and could theoretically afford the move. Problem is sports culture- we have none besides our women's teams. This season gets even bigger for us. Win Now!!

TXST04

It hurts me to ask... but objectively, why would a conference pick us vs UTSA? We don't carry any major media markets. We also don't win games so all we have to sell ourselves on is hot chicks and river floats.
Not necessarily objective…(completely biased)
TXST has brand potential
TXST can pull from both ATX & SA markets (if not more with increased exposure)

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
TXST can pull from both ATX & SA markets (if not more with increased exposure)
I hate that this is the answer our AD came up with the last time around. The reality is that we don't really pull in either market, but if you're going to go that route, then the message should be that we have a huge alumni base that is spread over 2 of the top 10 and 4 of the top 40 media markets in the country (5 DFW, 8 Hou, 31 SA, 38 ATX). MTSU or WKU (can't recall which) made a very similar case during the last realignment circus and it made a great visual in their deck, as opposed to the brutally amateur effort we put forth (dated newspaper scans from 2005, iirc).

vp98

Former SWC programs Houston and SMU would be next in line. A major miscalculation in the last shake up was our media market. One of our advantages that was always touted is that we are in both San Antonio and Austin markets but the uninformed that do not know the dynamics or our particular market only saw the tiny San Marcos market and that was a major reason we lost out to UTSA. We need to somehow correct that issue prior to the next shake-up if we indeed do want to move from the SBC. Also need at least a decent football team if there is to be any hope.

San Antonio Bobcat

What about the possibility of Texas State and UTSA taking the place of SMU and U of Houston in The AAC if SMU and Houston get invited to the Big 12?

txphi592

M&G Gift Planner/Donor
M&G Collective Member
What about the possibility of Texas State and UTSA taking the place of SMU and U of Houston in The AAC if SMU and Houston get invited to the Big 12?
I just don't see how taking both schools makes sense from a business perspective, they are too close in proximity. I can see a conference taking one of the two schools and unfortunately I suspect UTSA provides a better ROI since they can draw the SA market. I think we have two plausible scenarios for invite:

1) Conference A takes UTSA and conference B takes TXST, or
2) We win now and win big. Our base gets energized (circa 2005) and we make a stronger case for TV ratings.

This is depressing for me since I consider UTSA as the armpit of Texas but I suspect it's primarily about the eyeballs/$$ for these decisions.

Last edited:

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Well if we cannot deliver the eyeballs or dollars then we are the armpit. I thought we gained some national traction last year in spite of the record. We played a full slate, were on TV alot and the broadcasters always spoke positively of Spav.

To a larger extent it seems like this move creates a superconference that leaves all others in the dust. UH for example does not “deliver” the Houston market nor does SMU the Dallas market. Those markets will watch Ut or atm before they will ever watch Cougar High or the small mediocre university. There are not enough UH fans to move the needle in that market.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Houston and SMU would be next in line.
Yup. Memphis and Cincinnati as well would be my best guess today.

Let's look at this from a different angle...indulge my fan fiction for a moment:

The AAC is going to get gouged here, so they'll want to pull from the MAC, CUSA and SBC. That would weaken any of them. What if the SBC was aggressive and pulled in 6 other teams from that same SEC footprint for our own 16 team superleague? Take from CUSA before they can take from you.

UTSA, North Texas, Rice - this puts 4 teams in TX, gives us more games in state, outlines the famed Texas Triangle and hits all 4 of those media markets
LA Tech/Tulane - solidifies LA, one of the most fertile recruiting states, take both if you don't want USM
Southern Miss - traditionally a solid team, same in hoops, neither great recently; really good baseball
Charlotte - puts 3 in NC, 2 top 25 media markets

West: TXST, UNT, UTSA, Rice, LA Tech/Tulane, ULL, ULM, ASU
East: USM, USA, Troy, GAST, GASO, APPST, Coastal, Charlotte

Would also make for clean 4 team pods, which I think would be the way to go w/ that many teams
TXST, UNT, UTSA, Rice
LA Tech/Tulane, ULL, ULM, ASU
USM, USA, Troy, GAST
GASO, APPST, Coastal, Charlotte

Media Markets: 5, 7, 8, 22, 24, 31, 38, 45, 50, 59, 83, 86, 94, 97

Last edited:

DrumCat

Yup. Memphis and Cincinnati as well would be my best guess today.

Let's look at this from a different angle...indulge my fan fiction for a moment:

The AAC is going to get gouged here, so they'll want to pull from the MAC, CUSA and SBC. That would weaken any of them. What if the SBC was aggressive and pulled in 6 other teams from that same SEC footprint for our own 16 team superleague? Take from CUSA before they can take from you.

UTSA, North Texas, Rice - this puts 4 teams in TX, gives us more games in state, outlines the famed Texas Triangle and hits all 4 of those media markets
LA Tech/Tulane - solidifies LA, one of the most fertile recruiting states, take both if you don't want USM
Southern Miss - traditionally a solid team, same in hoops, neither great recently; really good baseball
Charlotte - puts 3 in NC, 2 top 25 media markets

West: TXST, UNT, UTSA, Rice, LA Tech/Tulane, ULL, ULM, ASU
East: USM, USA, Troy, GAST, GASO, APPST, Coastal, Charlotte

Would also make for clean 4 team pods, which I think would be the way to go w/ that many teams
TXST, UNT, UTSA, Rice
LA Tech/Tulane, ULL, ULM, ASU
USM, USA, Troy, GAST
GASO, APPST, Coastal, Charlotte

Media Markets: 5, 7, 8, 22, 24, 31, 38, 45, 50, 59, 83, 86, 94, 97

View attachment 1529
It's... beautiful.

TxSt1992

I think this round of realignment hast the potential to blow up several conferences. The Big 12, AAC, CUSA and even the Sunbelt could all be in danger. There's already rumors of Texas Tech, OkSt maybe going to PAC 12, maybe its wishful thinking on their part but you can bet the house those calls are being made. Also Kansas to B1G is another rumor. Depending on what happens to the Big 12, the AAC might get picked apart or end up taking on the remaining Big 12 teams.
As far as the Sunbelt pulling 6 other teams, i doubt it will happen that way. The one thing both CUSA and the SBC have in common is the both conferences have big east to west footprints. Also in both cases, the eastern schools would rather not play western teams. On the SBC board, the App St and others would rather play a north/south configuration , essentially a g5 version of the ACC. so maybe a trade with CUSA would be in order.

carmanjello325

if conference realignment doesn't end with us being one of the 4 schools to backfill smu memphis cincinati or houston in aac im not sure it really means much of anything to us. sure id like to play with ucf and temple every year but i have a bad feeling that if we somehow ever defaulted into the aac it prob means ucf and temple also got snatched somewhere else also

franslasttwinkie

Yeah if all that is left in AAC is Tulane, ECU, USF and Navy I don't know if I get any more excited for that leftover lineup than I do App, ULL, Coastal and stAte

Goldievirtuoso

M&G Gift Contributor
Exactly …. . There’s really no reason for any larger/more respectable Conference to consider US for membership …. too many good/solid programs lined up ahead of us.

We’re more like when kids line up and wait to get picked for a “pick-up” game of “whatever.” We’d be the last kid picked, you know, the kid no one really wants, but gets picked at the end cause the last guy picking needs a “warm body.”

I know that some here might be good with that (whatever it takes to move up, am I right?) But unless this round of realignment goes deep, I expect we’re gonna be left on the sideline, with our toes kicking at the dirt, wishing someone would have picked us, still not understanding that we really have so little to offer a larger more competitive conference.

That’s just how it is, when you’re the “Charlie Brown“ of college football.
As soon as I heard about the OU/UT thing, this was my first thought: dreading another conference realignment because we may wind up with the short stick.

That being said, I sure do love LTK5H’s fantasy conference. That would be nice!