Thoughts on potential candidates to replace Jake Spavital

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I've seen Kliffy as being OU's #1 target, so the chances of us needing this thread for reference aren't zero...

TXST

Okay okay, for conversations sake let’s say one of the guys with Spav connections gets the OU job and hires J-Spav as OC and Z-Spav as whatever it is he may do, what is the general temperature of the room?

Not entirely sure it’s a realistic proposition. I know they are from Oklahoma, Z-Spav almost went to OU to coach LB’s instead of coming to TXST. I’m not sure if they prefer the beautiful I-35 corridor we are located in to the plains of Oklahoma but money and home make people do things in life. Just something to spark discussion.
Just posted something similar in the FBS coach tracker. Was thinking along the same lines.

El Gato

Okay okay, for conversations sake let’s say one of the guys with Spav connections gets the OU job and hires J-Spav as OC and Z-Spav as whatever it is he may do, what is the general temperature of the room?

Not entirely sure it’s a realistic proposition. I know they are from Oklahoma, Z-Spav almost went to OU to coach LB’s instead of coming to TXST. I’m not sure if they prefer the beautiful I-35 corridor we are located in to the plains of Oklahoma but money and home make people do things in life. Just something to spark discussion.
I can’t see him leaving Arizona especially with their success this year, but ya never know. If it did come to pass, maybe he offers up the OC job to Spav again.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Last edited:

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Just became available:

edit: ok, maybe not as coach, but AD?

See if he can find us a president and HC and then yes, done deal for AD.

vp98

Well that sucks about Berry but we will see where we are after our new president has the opportunity to put out this dumpster fire next year.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I really think you have to be ahead of the curve, and quite a bit lucky with timing, to get that guy at the right time.
Eric Morris being hired away to a P5, w/ a defensive head coach who should give him a fair amount of autonomy, a year before we're ready to hire a HC, seems unlucky.

DrumCat

Eric Morris being hired away to a P5, w/ a defensive head coach who should give him a fair amount of autonomy, a year before we're ready to hire a HC, seems unlucky.
You expect us to have luck, good timing, or any general aura of something positive?

DrumCat

Just want to throw this out there for the sake of conversation, since this entire thread is based on hypothesis anyways...

What if the season had gone entirely differently? We had 10+ wins, Spav proved himself as a QB whisperer and offensive mastermind, and we're getting ready for the inevitable hiring away of Spav.

With this cycle's openings, where do you think he'd end up?