Thoughts on potential candidates to replace Jake Spavital

GolfCat

Just want to throw this out there for the sake of conversation, since this entire thread is based on hypothesis anyways...

What if the season had gone entirely differently? We had 10+ wins, Spav proved himself as a QB whisperer and offensive mastermind, and we're getting ready for the inevitable hiring away of Spav.

With this cycle's openings, where do you think he'd end up?
Miami, where it's rumored they have been in contact with another coach without having fired their current coach until the replacement's name was released. What a crap show that is in South Florida.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
lol - definitely NOT Miami! They didn't upset that apple cart to bring in a one time 10 win G5 coach. You may think it's a crap show today, but give it a year or two and it wouldn't surprise me to see UM in the Director's Cup Top 10.

Still hard to see anyone walking away from what Oregon has in place as far as the bag game, the best NIL set up and Uncle Phil's checkbook buying the best facilities in the country. I get that Cristobal is a UM grad and all, but still...that's a hell of a situation.

As far as where we could have seen Spav head if we hit 10 wins? Tech maybe? SMU? There really aren't a lot of mid tier P5 jobs - they are mostly high end gigs that aren't the type that would poach the G5 without a connection.

B

Bakertxst04

lol - definitely NOT Miami! They didn't upset that apple cart to bring in a one time 10 win G5 coach. You may think it's a crap show today, but give it a year or two and it wouldn't surprise me to see UM in the Director's Cup Top 10.

Still hard to see anyone walking away from what Oregon has in place as far as the bag game, the best NIL set up and Uncle Phil's checkbook buying the best facilities in the country. I get that Cristobal is a UM grad and all, but still...that's a hell of a situation.

As far as where we could have seen Spav head if we hit 10 wins? Tech maybe? SMU? There really aren't a lot of mid tier P5 jobs - they are mostly high end gigs that aren't the type that would poach the G5 without a connection.

Tech and SMU would make sense. Although Jamey Chadwell is still at CCU. Last I read, he had actually said that no one had spoken with him or his representative about a new position. Lots of potential jobs in the ACC that could come open over the next few years so I doubt he stays long, but still it's surprising to hear.

Anyway, since he's currently unemployed and has a massive buyout to offset his salary, would you go after Manny Diaz if you are Don?

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Anyway, since he's currently unemployed and has a massive buyout to offset his salary, would you go after Manny Diaz if you are Don?
I thought about that same scenario, and I don't think so. I am of the opinion he's a better coordinator than HC, and I certainly don't see him as a program builder - the vast majority of his career has been spent at bigtime programs.

Without looking at money, the names I'd be happy to see here from this year's fired list would be Dan Mullen or Justin Fuente.

Bobcat2010

Just want to throw this out there for the sake of conversation, since this entire thread is based on hypothesis anyways...

What if the season had gone entirely differently? We had 10+ wins, Spav proved himself as a QB whisperer and offensive mastermind, and we're getting ready for the inevitable hiring away of Spav.

With this cycle's openings, where do you think he'd end up?
Nowhere in the state of Texas.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Fuck a damn duck. When you lay it out like you did, SWTRefugee, it hits like a kick to the gut...by a horse.
Here is a little more salt. This article mentions 7 programs that typically go bowling but this year did not but are expected to next year- UT, SC, FSU, Stanford, Nebraska, Tulane and GA SO. So there are about 39 other teams along with us that perennially suck. They even mention Old Dominion having 6 wins after not playing last year.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2950969-non-bowl-teams-that-will-improve-dramatically-in-2022?mc_cid=a24cf4eaf5&mc_eid=bbd53de2e4

carmanjello325

Anyone who can get us to a bowl game.

Per Saturday Football, Inc. “This year, 84 teams made bowl games. That means only 46 FBS teams won't be playing this postseason.”

We need to emerge from the cellar.
you can still be in the cellar and fall into the top 84 teams in terms of wins.....which means a better word is needed to describe the last consecutive 7 seasons of bobcat football

TXSTLightBeer

Yeah but they can always rely of the draft to get blue chip players, we can’t really do anything to get players that can compete except coach players up or land hidden gem player’s. I feel like it’s a lot easier for a bad franchise to get good in the NFL when compared to college programs.