2020-2021 Deer Season

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
What are y'all doing to get ready for dear season?

My father in law got out to our ranch last weekend and filled the feeders. He also did some very needed repairs on our blind. The door had been completely ripped off in a storm and we hadn't been able to get out there and fix it yet.

Still needs a fresh coat of paint, but at least the goats and weather can't get in anymore.

Attachments

PecosGuy

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I’ve got a hunt in Alaska in September so I’m doing a lot of conditioning and a lot of preparations for it. Family Ranch has been prepped since the 2nd week of January. That’s when we put out the cottonseed and filled protein feeders. I also set out a new water guzzler for the bluff. My parents are checking on it this week to ensure it wasn’t blown off in the spring storms. As for my lease in San Angelo we are not feeding anything at the moment. I will make a trip in August and make the initial feeder fill there which includes feed, battery checks, timers and Game cam setups. I’m a lease bitch over there so if I don’t do anything it won’t get done. I would get off but we consistently kill above average deer

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I'm heading out to the ranch this weekend to fill the feeders and will probably end up repainting the deer blind. Going to get the trigger installed in my savage tonight and test it out too.

With this virus making a resurgence, it's going to be nice to get out in the middle of nowhere and have a relaxing Independence Day.

LSU Bobcat

Yea like the Snicker's commercial, getting away sounds good right now!

A buddy lets me hunt his place near keechie wma and it's thick with youpon. Lots of deer and hogs, but even more youpon! Just spent a weekend clearing some areas out and piling it up. That stuff just sucks.

LSU Bobcat

Yarp. I never got into bow hunting but might try my buddy's crossbow just to get a few more days in at his place. Not exactly real bow hunting but it's something. Also got a dove lease near DFW this season. Finally have somewhere to do some wing shoot.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I'm jealous of those bucks. I don't think I'll ever see anything like that on my property.

I finally pulled the pics from my game cam. Didn't realize that it had been over a year since I had the cam working and pulled the cards.

Had a ton of raccoon and some doe, but these were the best that I had. One huge axis. 817

GolfCat

I'm jealous of those bucks. I don't think I'll ever see anything like that on my property.

I finally pulled the pics from my game cam. Didn't realize that it had been over a year since I had the cam working and pulled the cards.

Had a ton of raccoon and some doe, but these were the best that I had. One huge axis. View attachment 817
View attachment 818
View attachment 819
View attachment 820
View attachment 821
View attachment 822
View attachment 823
View attachment 824
View attachment 825
Looks like you may have a couple of axis bucks around. Pretty sure the buck in velvet and the one that has shed are two different bucks just looking at the date on the pics. Shed deer was in late December of 18 and the velvet buck is from February of 19. Keep giving them plenty of feed and hopefully they will make your feeder their own dinner table. Not sure how big your place is and the attitude of the neighbors is but if you can let those whitetails get some age on them it sure would be nice. The deer I posted was at least 8.5 yrs old. Could have possibly been a year older. Of course my brothers' place is fairly large and HF so we don't have to worry about the neighbors shooting a nice young or middle aged deer.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
We have 112 acres. Somewhat narrow and deep, so the deer cross between our property and the neighbors on a regular basis.

One of our neighbors seems to be interested in QDMA practices, but the other seems to shoot anything that walks out in front of them with no care in the world. That neighbor is also the neighbor that on opening weekend a few years back, shot 2-3 times at deer and missed. 15 minutes later they decide to sight their gun in. Shot probably 30-40 times on opening morning... Smdh

PecosGuy

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
We have 112 acres. Somewhat narrow and deep, so the deer cross between our property and the neighbors on a regular basis.

One of our neighbors seems to be interested in QDMA practices, but the other seems to shoot anything that walks out in front of them with no care in the world. That neighbor is also the neighbor that on opening weekend a few years back, shot 2-3 times at deer and missed. 15 minutes later they decide to sight their gun in. Shot probably 30-40 times on opening morning... Smdh
That’s awful! Haha Probably the most he’s shot that gun in a decade.

PecosGuy

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I’m headed to ranch Friday Am. Trimming out around new shiplap in bunk house, filling corn feeders, then topping off guzzlers, protein, & cottonseed. If time allows may even fix a drink and jam some Texas tunes under the stars.

LSU Bobcat

After years of trying I FINALLY got drawn for a deer hunt through texas parks and wildlife. Got the gun deer - antlerless/spike at enchanted rock. Wish it was the buck at a place with better odds, but i've been wanting to do a drawn hunt for quite a while.

Charcon

After years of trying I FINALLY got drawn for a deer hunt through texas parks and wildlife. Got the gun deer - antlerless/spike at enchanted rock. Wish it was the buck at a place with better odds, but i've been wanting to do a drawn hunt for quite a while.
FYI if you want a neat public land hunt that don’t have to draw ...San Angelo area public land (can’t remember the name of it) in bow season. Pay at the gate permit. Lots of fun and lots of deer

LSU Bobcat

I don't know if it was the full moon or what, but we ended up not seeing a single deer yesterday and this morning. It was bright last night and we found quite a few moving then. Stayed up late to kill a pig and this boy came in at midnight. So not the best start to the season but not terrible.