2020-2021 Deer Season

GolfCat

As I was heading out yesterday evening I had no intention of pulling the trigger on anything because I wanted to get settled in to watch the Bobcats take on the Cahoons. As our ranch managers son and I headed out his dad told me if you see a small pig I could sure use one for the pit. Carson and I sat at a feeder and had a couple deer in early. After a while they threw their heads up and bolted. That usually means one of two things at our place. Swine or Javi's. To our luck it was swine of all sizes. I asked Carson if he wanted to do the ole 1,2,3 and both of us take a shot. He said I'm not good at that so you go ahead, plus it's kind of a long shot. We looked over them and determined that both the blk/white spotted and red/blk spotted were both sows. Either of which would do for his dad. As I settled in on the blk/white one and squeezed the trigger the red/blk one stepped in front. He went down and the blk/white one went crawling through the brush on his front two legs. We waited a few minutes to see if some of the group might come back to no avail. Drove down to the feeder and noticed the drag marks of the blk/white one. Finally caught up to him about 120yds into the brush (last 25yds on my hands and knees)and had to finish him with the 9mm. Took a pic and sent it to the ranch mgr and told him to take his pick. He said both will do.

Milk not even dry on their lips. :D:D

20201031_183929.jpg

GolfCat

A two for one, that's what i'm talking about!

Smoked a little one i killed a few years ago. Would definitely do it again if I see one. Turned out great.

Technically, I guess it wasn't a true two for one since I had to use the pistola to finish the job. Guess I could have pulled out the knife and done the deed. But, I didn't want momma to come charging at me while I was on my hands and knees surrounded by pear bushes, mesquite and black brush while I had her squealing child in my hands. I'm too old and fat to be doing that anymore. But, two for one does sound cool.

That smoked shoat looks pretty tasty.

LSU Bobcat

So the last time I've been to enchanted rock was 20 years ago this spring. Last time was a high school senior field trip. Forgot how great this place is Got in yesterday morning for the TPWS antlerless and spike drawn hunt. Looked like there was about 15 people total. Quick orientation and they showed us where our blinds will be. Managed to get extremely lucky with the draw of the blind near the only water source. Killed a mature doe last night and didn't see anything this morning. Killed a spike and mature doe this evening. We're allowed 5 but 3 is enough. Half the people probably haven't even shot at a deer yet so I bailed to spend time with the folks. Hunt coordinator mentioned the wildlife biologist wants them to kill 80. Just way too overpopulated and not enough food to support them. Most are smaller than they should be. He said the archery hunt only got around 12. So far 12 killed at this rifle hunt with more hunting tomorrow and Friday morning. They got a long way to go to get 80, and hopefully they get there. First time doing a drawn hunt and had a blast. Helped I was successful. Hopefully those that haven't killed can switch to the blind I had. Certainly get some great views from the blinds.

GolfCat

So the last time I've been to enchanted rock was 20 years ago this spring. Last time was a high school senior field trip. Forgot how great this place is Got in yesterday morning for the TPWS antlerless and spike drawn hunt. Looked like there was about 15 people total. Quick orientation and they showed us where our blinds will be. Managed to get extremely lucky with the draw of the blind near the only water source. Killed a mature doe last night and didn't see anything this morning. Killed a spike and mature doe this evening. We're allowed 5 but 3 is enough. Half the people probably haven't even shot at a deer yet so I bailed to spend time with the folks. Hunt coordinator mentioned the wildlife biologist wants them to kill 80. Just way too overpopulated and not enough food to support them. Most are smaller than they should be. He said the archery hunt only got around 12. So far 12 killed at this rifle hunt with more hunting tomorrow and Friday morning. They got a long way to go to get 80, and hopefully they get there. First time doing a drawn hunt and had a blast. Helped I was successful. Hopefully those that haven't killed can switch to the blind I had. Certainly get some great views from the blinds.

That is awesome that you got drawn and were successful on top of it. Congratulations on filling the freezer.

LSU Bobcat

I wish I took a few more pictures. Solid view from the pop-up, but only ended up being there for a day and a half and got to spend some time with my folks. With the freezer full I can at least sit back and be selective with any other hunt.