2022/23 Schedule

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Nice. I assume there will be at least a second game up that way if we are traveling that far. Let’s get one competent opponent in Strahan.

BobcatBuddy96

I would say P5 school, or maybe SMU, UNT or UH.
I know it does good teams no good to play in SM, but can't we get 1 name school to play us at home.

Last edited:

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
I would say P5 school, or maybe SMU, UNT or UH.
I know it does good teams no good to play in SM, but can't we get 1 name school to play us at home.
We have had UH, and SMU in the past decade or so. Maybe we can get UNT since they seem to be over their "toog good for us" stage.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Looking at the past couple years schedules for possible H&H series and the only two I see that are likely were reported by @Bobcat2013 earlier today. We hosted Lamar and played at Rice last year and hadn't played either for a few years prior to last year. So we're probably @ Lamar and will probably host Rice this year. It was probably a buy game for UH but we played them in Houston last year, would love to get them in Strahan but highly doubt it was a H&H series. LSU and Vandy last year and Mississippi State and Texas 2 years ago almost certainly buy games.

We played UIW and Denver last year but appears those games wrapped up series from previous seasons.

Basically I wasted 5 minutes and didn't figure anything out.....
We're likely to have some new names on the schedule this year. We haven't played UTSA since the '19-'20 season, so if we're at UTSA this year you can probably pencil them in for a game at Strahan in the '23-'24 season.

Beating a dead horse, but I hate our basketball scheduling. Don't have a ton of issues with football or baseball but basketball just annoys me. We like to schedule 2-3 away $ games (which maybe is a necessity, but I doubt it), but we essentially can't buy D1 games of our own. So to balance the schedule we buy 2-4 non-D1 games a year, which are not exciting for the fans and usually bloodbaths (unless its Our Lady of the Lake). Then it only leaves room for a couple decent peer home and home series a year.

With what we know so far (Washington State, UTSA, Lamar, Rice) and our knowledge of how we historically schedule we can probably expect 1-2 more $ away games with bigger name programs, probably a 3-game MTE tournament, 2-4 non-D1 games, which leaves room for probably only 1-3 true H&H series games. Would love to see us somehow cut out the non-D1 games while keeping a balanced non-conference schedule where half our games are in San Marcos, not sure if that's possible or not though.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Anyone with a Top 150 RPI
I guess NET is the proper rating for hoops. My bad. https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Top 100 NET teams from last year that aren't P5, within ~3hr flight.

Colorado State
UAB
North Texas
Wyoming
Missouri State
New Mexico State
Richmond
Toledo
Grand Canyon
Middle Tennessee State

101-150
LA Tech
George Mason
Butler
Ohio
Abilene Christian
Western Kentucky
SFA
Akron
-TEXAS STATE-
FL Atlantic
Kent State
College of Charleston
UNC Wilmington
Winthrop
Jacksonville State
Sam Houston State (153)

That's a lot of decent teams to schedule, that aren't world beaters but will be tough competition and great for our numbers.

Last edited:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
That's also not including any Big12 or AAC teams. I wouldn't want any more than 1 of UT-TT-UH-BU in a year, but TCU, aTm, SMU, Iowa State are closer to 50 than 1 and all big names.

KatyStationed

M&G Gift Contributor
It would be a nice to hear from Don what exactly the strategy is. “We look to schedule (these types of teams) because it allows us to (set ourselves up for success in the following ways)” would be interesting.

Given, I’m not educated enough on this to pontificate, but our basketball scheduling has always just kind of struck me as a scramble

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Looks like we're in an MTE with Hawaii, Southern Utah, and Sacramento State.

I don't really care to do the research to see who these teams have lost or added from the portal or graduation or if they'll be better better or worse but on a quick glance Hawaii looked okay last year but not great. Went 17-10 in the Big West. No notable OOC wins, but they lost to USA by 3.

Southern Utah went 23-12 and 14-6 in the Big Sky. No big OOC wins but they did lose to Dixie State by 7 and then later beat them by 28. Beat EWU twice by similar margins to us. Took UCLA to 2OT.

Sacramento State went 11-18 overall and 6-14 in the Big Sky. They were bad.

We should win this.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
It'll be something like Incarnate Word, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Texas Lutheran, Howard Payne, and Our Lady of the Lake.

Prove me wrong TJ/DC.
Last season I spoke at length to someone in the know about our scheduling. I've been meaning to relay that here, but I've just been swamped in RL.

It boils down to budget + enough winnable games to ensure +.500 seasons.
For recruiting reasons, the scheduling goal is always a +.500 NC record. It's imperative.

I was told that a winning record is FAR more important for recruiting than who we are playing out of conference.
Across the board - the type of recruits we want will have two things at or near the top of their list:
Relationships with coaches and a winning program.

That's not saying recruits never care who we play, it's just very rare for it to matter enough to make a difference.

Regarding how that translates to scheduling..
If we take on money road games, then we have to schedule guaranteed HOME wins to offset them.

It's impossible for us to get winnable one and done division 1 home opponents in San Marcos because we'd have to pay for them like anyone else. That's where all the non-D1 opponents are coming in. They are MUCH cheaper to buy.

Last year Belt teams were limited to 3 non D1 opponents. This year will be 2 without a waiver.

As for the rest of the schedule....
You want to have at least one tournament (preferably in a sexy location) because the players/recruits love them.
An off-site tourney is going to give you some evenly matched opponents, but it doesn't leave many available dates left for competitive mid-majors who are available to play when we are. Any of whom have their own scheduling puzzle to fill - if they have room in their own +.500 aspirations for us at all.

I heard that we settled on a tournament in a recent season because we were ultimately blocked from another location we preferred. The host team wanted to ensure they were the best team in their own tournament, so they kept us out.

High majors (even the mediocre ones) will laugh at you just for bringing up a H&H or they will try and steal your soul to get them to travel. A 2 or 3 for 1 (if you could even pull it off) means you're having to plan/offset for probable losses those 2 or 3 years playing on the road (for free).

Basically, the only way for us to have a more balanced schedule would require approval from the administration to go revenue neutral. Fewer money games would free up the program to schedule more 50/50 opponents while maintaining a probable +.500 result.