2022/23 Schedule

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Good info and all makes sense. I'm curious just how much the admin is requiring each season to produce in away game revenue. It's pretty clear the issue is as simple as we need X amount of away games to produce revenue and its difficult in our position to fill the limited home slots with teams willing to play us at a price we can afford to pay. Another issue not talked about is we probably could buy games with SWAC-type teams, but they are NET rating killers, meanwhile non-D1 games don't count toward your NET rating at all. While we can win games at home vs. Prairie View/Texas Southern types and they'd maybe agree to play us at an affordable amount, if they are terrible it could really hurt our NET rating (that said, TSU has actually been pretty good the last few years, we may just be scared to play them...). Some of those SWAC teams play 0 non-conference home games. Some don't have their home opener till their first conference home games as late as January.

The SBC is about to make a push to make basketball more competitive. Football has been trending up, baseball is about to be really good, but basketball has been relatively poor in this conference and has shown no signs of improving. Scheduling is a big reason as every school in the league is facing these same issues as us. If the league is limiting non-D1 games to 2 this year that's a step in the right direction. It may hurt teams' ability to produce the revenue they want or limit the amount of non-conference home games but the league has to do something to improve the basketball product and that's a really good start. The massive amount of non-D1 games have been a real problem for the league for years as teams pad their W/L record for cheap at the expense of playing non-conference schedules that make it almost impossible for the league to have a good NET rating without getting multiple upsets of revenue games on the road, which the league rarely is able to do.

Another reason for the MTEs is it allows you to play more games. This is off the top of my head, but I think team's are allowed 29 game schedules, but MTE's count as one game. So if you play a 3-game MTE you can play a 31 game schedule, which is what most schools do. So it has limited effect on the schedule as a whole cause those 3 games functionally just count as 1 from a scheduling perspective. So if we decided not to play in an MTE one year it wouldn't change anything, other than we'd play less games total, but we'd still struggle to get attractive home games to offset the revenue road games.

It's a tough situation, but hopefully DC can find a way to generate revenue, win games, and give us fans exciting games as well. It'd be nice to not have to sacrifice one of those 3 to accomplish the other 2, which is what's going on.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Depends how you define big bucks...

I haven't had season tickets since I moved away from the region 5 years ago but they were pretty affordable. And I was in the 2nd row near mid-court. Basketball was always my cheapest season tickets between football/basketball/baseball. Low $100s per seat for what's usually a 13-15 game home schedule if I remember correctly.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
from my notes:
"D1 buy games go for about $50k-$100k"
"If you wanted to buy 3 D1 games to offset those (3 money games), you would probably need about $150k-$180k. But the D1 schools that are bad enough to give you an 80-95% win probability are generally more expensive to buy."
"A DII/DIII buy game will only cost you about $5k"
"Sun Belt programs don't have buy game money. They could - but admins would have to appropriate those funds."

Last edited:

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
So the supporters get to pay big bucks to watch glorified high school teams at home?!
High majors don't even schedule many h&h's anymore. Most high major vs high major ooc games are neutral site/tournament contests.

This was the Longhorn's non-conference home schedule last year:
Texas Lutheran
Houston Baptist
Northern Colorado
San Jose State
Cal Baptist
Sam Houston State
UTRGV
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Alabama State
Incarnate Word

geezer

I guess all things are viewed by perspective. My first job was loading a ton of silage into a trailer by hand
then putting it into a trough to feed dairy cows every evening for a dollar a day. Every day, rain or shine.
Being retired for a long time, trying to maintain current levels of giving while still paying bills, taxes, utilities etc on a fixed income enjoying inflation at near double digits can be challenging.

True, season tickets aren't too bad, but older folks kinda like close in parking, access to social clubs, support the various booster organizations, send your kids (nieces and nephews in our case) to the coaches summer camps, caps, shirts etc can bring the cost to support the Mighty Bobcats up significantly.

Additionally, the traffic has caused the commute time to double--almost an hour each way now and the return home in the dark (someday you young whippersnapers will have to deal with that if you get old enough).

So I will someday decide if it is worth all of this just to watch TLU or Grand Canyon in person or just stay home and watch on TV and save all that time and money.

I KNOW that I wouldn't do the same to support UT at their prices for THAT schedule.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
So I will someday decide if it is worth all of this just to watch TLU or Grand Canyon in person or just stay home and watch on TV and save all that time and money.

I KNOW that I wouldn't do the same to support UT at their prices for THAT schedule.
Our floor seats are $400. UTs are $8,500....

Grand Canyon actually has a great program. If we got them to SM it would be our biggest home game in awhile. I understand your point though.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Apparently we're playing UTA in Ft. Worth on 12/10.

Not sure why it's in Ft. Worth but I like it.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
@ Rhode Island on 11/12

I'd guess the few remaining unannounced games will be a D1 home game and 2 or 3 D3/D2/NAIA as is tradition. Really disappointed in our lack of OOC home games. As of right now Rice is our only D1 OOC home game.... how did we have better schedules as a Southland school? Are teams scared of us?

slycat

@ Rhode Island on 11/12

I'd guess the few remaining unannounced games will be a D1 home game and 2 or 3 D3/D2/NAIA as is tradition. Really disappointed in our lack of OOC home games. As of right now Rice is our only D1 OOC home game.... how did we have better schedules as a Southland school? Are teams scared of us?
Lol no. Basketball schedule just sucks for teams like us. We are a RPI drain and most programs won't come here because it doesn't help them.

slycat

Not that anyone cares about RPI anymore but we had a top 100 RPI last year and were 21-8. Our RPI was higher than about 73% of other teams in D1 college basketball.

We’re not an “RPI drain”.
Well historically we weren't worth scheduling. Getting closer but you know how difficult it is to get a decent home game.

slycat

Just looking at the rest of the SBC from last year, there are very few "good" home games. The conference needs to improve all around.

App St:
ETSU
William Peace
Charlotte
Hartford
Boyce
Erskine

stAte:
Blue Mountain College
Harding
Central Baptist College
Morehead St