2022/23 Schedule

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
OK, . . . just seemed that while DK was Coaching, he appeared to like a “weak OOC slate.” Personally, I hated it, as it did little to prepare the team for conference play. Only reason I alluded to the possibility of a lack of effort.
If you check the first page of this thread, I tried to explain why that is.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I have a feeling we're gonna be pretty unhappy with this schedule (as usual). It's late September and we still don't have a schedule posted? It's usually out by late August. So I bet we're scrambling for a game or two. And if that's the case I'm sure the only thing we'll be able to scrounge up is D2/D3/NAIA games.

slycat

What the eff is USAO?

edit: It is University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma. Figured I'd google it before Saul asked if I have google.

jj1180

Not sure how much input he had this year but hoping KD demands a strict D1 only policy for ooc scheduling next season.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
It's a trash schedule. Here's why:
- Only 5 of 13 non-conference games in San Marcos.
- Only 2 of 5 non-conference home games vs. D1 schools.
- I've never even heard of 2 of the 5 schools we're playing at home in non-conference play. That's hard to do and I'm kinda impressed.
- We go almost an entire month between home games (November 10th to December 4th) then we wrap up non-conference play with 3 consecutive home games in an 8-day stretch, probably on Christmas break when students will be gone and attendance will be 25% of what it usually is.

I was a season ticket holder for 7-8 years before I moved away from the area 5 years ago. If I still was a season ticket holder I'd be very unhappy with this schedule. Considering it was released like a full 5 weeks later than usual I'm sure we had some challenges putting it together. I'd be interested to know what they were.

jj1180

I would like to know the challenges and strategy behind this schedule as well. That is hellish OOC travel: west coast twice, random east coast game and Hawaii. Also with over 350 D1 basketball teams, no excuse to have three non D1 teams coming to San Marcos.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
I would assume that we will get Rhode Island and UTSA at home either next year or the year after. (Was also UTSA's turn to be at home) I hope that applies to UTA also. Ft. Worth isn't exactly a neutral site.

The nature of h&h deals is that you do have to play them on the road at some point. That is why we have to play Lamar on the road. (they came to SM last year). We'll almost certainly have to play SHSU in Huntsville to pay them back.

Washinton State and Cal are both money games which are required by our budget. We also have two tournament games which are huge for recruiting. Counting Lamar, that's 5 unavoidable away games, a 6th that was due to be away if we continued the series (UTSA) and 2 new deals that might have had start on the road in order to make them work. (Rhode Island, UTA)

It sucks, but it is a reasonable explanation for why we're away 8 of 13. There might not have been a way around it without having to find different opponents that were willing to play us. As I mentioned before, the only way we can ensure a more balanced schedule every season is by giving up the money games and going revenue neutral... or by having donors step in to make us home game buyers (like the big boys).

I was told the SB did change the rule limiting teams to 2 non D1's this season and that was probably because of realignment.

Two of those opponents are necessary as "guarantee" games to offset probable losses in the two money games. (We can't afford to buy "guarantee" division 1 wins). I don't know if the 3rd game was simply because we could, or because we just couldn't find another mid-major to travel to us this year. I doubt we were going to give up any more home games just to get a better opponent.