2022 Season: One Last Time Around the Block

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
RPI is such a flawed metric.

OOC Matches: 9 JMU, 12 TXST (11 teams - played UIW 2x)
vs P5 Programs: 1, JMU, 6 TXST
TXST 5 OOC losses: 4 P5 and the best G5 program ever.
JMU 6 OOC wins: 0 P5, 69-81 overall
SBC: JMU doesn't play Troy (10-2) or USM (8-4), TXST doesn't play AppSt (7-5) or GASO (6-4)

franslasttwinkie

And now JMU is bubbling on an at large bid, right? Wonder how many spots the dropped match to USA where we held the 2-1 set advantage dropped us? Guessing we would have been in the high 50's range had we held on.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I would think so, given the history. Still can't figure out how they're so high.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
So this might clear up who is coming back and not.... I think I mentioned before that Emily, Janell, Jillian and Jada had exhausted eligibility but that Lauren could come back if she wanted to, as she still had 1 season of eligibility left. Just going off of this, it appears she's going to move on to being an adult next year. Damn, looks like Tessa is moving on as well.

Last edited:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Well hell, that was the list of graduating/moving on. Going to be a completely different squad next season. Not gonna lie - got a little choked up reading these. Thankful for all their effort and pride over the years. They have certainly made me proud to be a Bobcat more than anything else over the past 5 years, that's for damn sure. Good luck to all of them as the move into adulthood and real life.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
View attachment 3501

When was the last time our conference RPI looked this competitive? I'd venture to guess we are somewhere around #7-8 conference as a whole maybe but maybe lower because of GSU, ULM, Marshall, stAte, GS and ODU?
I've never seen that many inside 100 for sure.

Interesting that JMU dropped 8 spots, which *really* puts them on the bubble for an at-large if they don't win the SBC tournament. Anything past 40 is very touch and go for a G5 - I've seen 47 when I was researching, but that was from a traditionally good program (San Diego maybe?) and their conference got 3 in that year.

HUGE weekend coming up: TXST @ Coastal and USA @ JMU
Seeding shouldn't be affected at the top since both JMU and TXST have locked up the 1 seed on their side of the bracket, but both need to hold serve (intended) going into the tournament.

franslasttwinkie

We knew when this season's schedule was drawn up that it was going to be near impossible to draw an at-large bid even if we were to get close to running our strength of schedule table. SBC ended up having some unforeseen parity between 5-6 teams. I don't think I was the only one in the camp of frustration after the Alabama skunking and Ole Miss debacle but the season was a pleasant rebound and we find ourselves probably within 10-20 spots of an at-large bid after the regular season while hopefully playing some pretty good teams in the tournament will push closer to that. TCU ended up having a pretty decent season so that was nice.

I feel good about how we handled JMU since we won more sets than they did in the match so I'd expect a great tourney.