Kailey Keeble, South Alabama
Cara Atkinson, Southern Miss
Jada Gardner, Texas State
Lauren Teske, Texas State

Julia Brooks, Troy

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Happy as hell for Lauren, and just more confused as to what happened last year. Really wish she was sticking around next season.

Back-to-Back Offensive POY for Janell too. Definitely feel like her excellence gets taken for granted at times, but she damn sure DOMINATES this conference!

franslasttwinkie

Despite the loss to JMU and having to play Louisiana our RPI improved by 15 spots since before the tournament and should now be within spitting distance of a bubble at large bid. Maybe it's just the boko glasses but we should get some serious consideration. Haven't looked at the analytics but I guess if there is enough auto-bids with better RPIs than us I guess that works in our favor.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I'm not going to get my hopes up, but lower RPIs have definitely received at-large bids in the past.

franslasttwinkie

Autobids that help us:

#36 FGCU
#14 Rice
#33 Towson
#28 Yale

Hurts if:
If either Marquette or Creighton gets upset
If anyone other than Hawaii wins Big West
If anyone other than UNLV wins MWC
If anyone other than USD or BYU wins WCC

Last edited:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Feel free to fact check me on this, but pretty sure Big West doesn't do a tournament, so Hawaii is good there. Same w/ WCC.

franslasttwinkie

#54 Ole Miss, #47 KST (15-12), #43 WVU, #48 Iowa St (16-11) & #42 S Carolina (14-14) all went last year as at larges. But last year Ball St was #31 RPI when they picked up autobid, this year they aren't and that will hurt a bubble team.

A-10's autobid last year had a #40 RPI and this year that's not the case so that will hurt bubbles too. SBC's autobid last year hurt bubble teams this year we help bubble teams. WCC got 3 teams in last year and they could get as many as 4 this year, that hurts. All in all, at large conditions look relatively similar to last season so if #54 Ole Miss can get invited I don't see how #44 gets passed up even if we are in the SBC. Let's just hope that games that are still being played only help our RPI or keep it put.

Every season that I've seen multiple RPIs worse than 44 have received an at large. Now, that doesn't tell the full story if any sub 44 teams stayed home though.

Edit in 2019:

At large bids

#49 Wazzu
#50 Illinois
#47 VCU
#46 Iowa St
#43 S Carolina

2018:

#57 Layola Marymount
#50 Colorado
#53 San Diego
#46 Hawaii

2017:

#47 Charleston
#45 LSU
#49 NCSt

Last edited:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
So decided to poke around on volleytalk and see if there was any talk about us. There never is, so I go there like once a year - usually right around now. The guy who projects the brackets every year is pretty damn good, and he has us in.

LAST 5 TEAMS IN:
Michigan, Utah, Colorado, Texas State, Georgia

Waco 1st Round
(1) Baylor vs. (4) Stephen F. Austin
(3) Texas State vs. (2) Houston

(not all these are from the same guy)
At-Large Bids: This grouping of teams is where it gets murky:

Michigan, Utah, Colorado, Texas State, Georgia, Loyola Marymount, Colorado State

I don't know about Michigan. Their RPI is already at 51 AND they are taking huge RPI hits this weekend. If they lose either - they HAVE to be out. In the H2H battle: Colorado beat Utah, Utah beat Loyola Marymount. Colorado has the better RPI than Utah right now, so I like them in as well. I like Georgia as they have a road Top 25 victory. Texas State is a serious question mark - with a win against James Madison (does the committee view this as a Top 25 win?) and a win at TCU. I think they are in based on the metrics.
Hopefully the Committee seeding to 32 helps here with LMU vis-a-vis someone like Texas St. The Commitee is going to have to look at JMU to evaluate them for a Top 32 seed and will hopefully have that in mind when they evaluate that win.
Texas State has the *JMU* top-25 win, which we don't know how the committee is going to value, but they also beat TCU.
Texas State is a 'good' team and they will have a (significantly better) better RPI, so I would go with them. I think they are worthy.

From you blind - I would kick out Utah and Michigan and keep Colorado, LMU, and Texas State.

franslasttwinkie

Utah St knocks off UNLV in the semifinals. USU and SJSU play in the finals today. MWC could get as many as 3-4 teams in now depending how their RPIs shake out after their tournament. Not looking good for the cats now.

BobcatBuddy96

JMU gets auto bid by winning SBC tourney last Sun, so who thinks our 'Cats get an at large bid. I hope so, but I don't really follow VB.