2023-24 Sun Belt

SagewoodCat

What is this fabled “Castro Club” 👀
I’m all for supporting my Cats, might be time to try the club out if it means drinks are being served 😂

TomGIBill

M&G Collective Member
What is this fabled “Castro Club” 👀
I’m all for supporting my Cats, might be time to try the club out if it means drinks are being served 😂
It's free catered food(nothing crazy) and free beer/wine for Bobcat Club donors above a certain level. You still have to have a ticket but you can buy GA, or if student use id, and then watch the game from the seats there and have some free beer.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member
What concerns me most is that any of the cachet the program built under Kaspar in recruiting has likely evaporated.

We're rapidly returning to state of the program under Davalos.
Sure could go for a Popeyes joke right about now.

B

Bakertxst04

It's not just that we're losing, it's that we're losing AND being uncompetitive. I really liked extending Coach TJ after he won the SBC regular season in 2021. He brought a great energy to the program and the players clearly loved him. Getting a second SBC regular season title was encouraging, but getting bounced in the first round of the tournament (again) and losing to UNT in the NIT was frustrating to watch. Sure we won a couple of games in the SBC tourney last year, but I really hoped we could have something to build on.

Getting stomped by a Top-10 team in Houston was a bad look. Being "competitive" with UT was at least acceptable. Losing by 30 in conference play is a bad look and it's unacceptable. I want a team that is competitive and fun to watch, unfortunately, we are currently neither of those at the moment.

I belive that Coach TJ was extended for three years in 2022, so that would make his contract run through 2024-2025. It's palatable that we could decide to part ways after the season with only one year remaining. I wish we didn't feel the need to part ways, but we're just not looking good on the court and ultimately that falls on him.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
It's not just that we're losing, it's that we're losing AND being uncompetitive. I really liked extending Coach TJ after he won the SBC regular season in 2021. He brought a great energy to the program and the players clearly loved him. Getting a second SBC regular season title was encouraging, but getting bounced in the first round of the tournament (again) and losing to UNT in the NIT was frustrating to watch. Sure we won a couple of games in the SBC tourney last year, but I really hoped we could have something to build on.

Getting stomped by a Top-10 team in Houston was a bad look. Being "competitive" with UT was at least acceptable. Losing by 30 in conference play is a bad look and it's unacceptable. I want a team that is competitive and fun to watch, unfortunately, we are currently neither of those at the moment.

I belive that Coach TJ was extended for three years in 2022, so that would make his contract run through 2024-2025. It's palatable that we could decide to part ways after the season with only one year remaining. I wish we didn't feel the need to part ways, but we're just not looking good on the court and ultimately that falls on him.
It was a five year extension. He’s signed through 26-27. TJ will be the coach next season.

B

Bakertxst04

Damn. Probably two more years of him.
So we have:

2020-2021 - Took over for Kaspar and won the SBC reg. season. Lost to a D-III school, but rallied the players and played well in conference. Got bounced in the first game of the tournament. Overall 3.5/5

2021-2022 - First full year. Won SBC regular season and were projected to make NCAA tourney for a good portion of the season. Lost in the SBC tourney, lost to UNT in the first round of the NIT. Lost to TAMU-CC during the regular season. I'm calling this a slight regression, so 3/5.

2022-2023 - Given extension for back-to-back SBC reg. season titles. Also first full year for Don after taking over for Larry who "quiet quit out loud". First year with KDamp. Placed in the upper 1/3 of the SBC and won a couple games during the tourney. Knocking off some points for the regular season regression, but we did slightly better in the post season so... 2.75/5.

2023-2024 - So far, this team is definitely below average. We're getting beat by 30+ in games and just playing very lackluster. Blame it on injuries, but my general second-hand impression is that this team feels like they are going through the motions. We'll win a game, but then lose by 30. Very hot and cold. They could turn the seaon around, but as of now, I'd say a 2/5 feels fair.

My overall grade for on-court performace comes out to a 2.81 / 5. Could go up or down a little depending on how the season goes. if we look at this like a college course, he's at a 56.25 %. It's a shame because from everything I've seen and heard he's a genuinely good person. I just wonder if the full-time grind of D-I basketball may be too much. He may not be good at delegating to asst. coaches / athl dept personnel and tries to take on too much, leading to sup-par results. Whatever the case, we are definitely regressing and doing so quickly.

____

My only hope for him is that Coach Z was an average to above average coach for a long time before finally finding a way to acheive a good amount of success last season. I don't see us eating three years of a contract, but another bad season for coach TJ could be cause for us to find the money for a buyout.