2023 Recruiting: Offers, Commits, De-Commits, etc.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
The 14 for me (x will do it better):

PG - Drinnon Sr* - Gumbs Fr
G - Benson So - Dawson Sr
W - Mason So - Horne Sr - Tate Sr - O’Garro Jr
F - Morgan Sr* - Sykes So - Turner Sr
P - Love Jr - Nix Sr* - Bolton Fr

Sr* are Covid seniors and in their final year. The non * Sr should have an extra Covid year if they want it. That’s the last class that should have that option.

I really like the depth of this team but have no idea who is going to be that guy when you need a basket or who is an all-conference player(s).

Benson and Mason are probably the backup PGs if I were to guess. Redshirting Bolton would be nice and Turner can be the third 5. Be interesting who the 8-10 guys in the rotation will be.

Much bigger team than we have had in the past.

Bobcat1

The 14 for me (x will do it better):

PG - Drinnon Sr* - Gumbs Fr
G - Benson So - Dawson Sr
W - Mason So - Horne Sr - Tate Sr - O’Garro Jr
F - Morgan Sr* - Sykes So - Turner Sr
P - Love Jr - Nix Sr* - Bolton Fr

Sr* are Covid seniors and in their final year. The non * Sr should have an extra Covid year if they want it. That’s the last class that should have that option.

I really like the depth of this team but have no idea who is going to be that guy when you need a basket or who is an all-conference player(s).

Benson and Mason are probably the backup PGs if I were to guess. Redshirting Bolton would be nice and Turner can be the third 5. Be interesting who the 8-10 guys in the rotation will be.

Much bigger team than we have had in the past.
“Who are these guys!?” IYKYK 🤣

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Here's what I have. Also expecting Bolton is the walk-on.

1 - Drinnon, Mason, Gumbs
2 - Dawson, Benson, Horne, Tate
3 - Mason, O'Garro, Sykes
4 - Morgan, Sykes, Turner
5 - Love, Nix, Bolton

- We have pretty similar depth charts.
- Depending on how quickly Gumbs acclimates I'm gonna expect Mason to be the backup PG as well as the starting wing until I see Gumbs out there getting minutes. I'd like to be wrong and he's ready to go right out of the gate but we'll see. Unfortunately, replacing Harrell is gonna be tough. Thank the good lord Drinnon decided to come back for 1 more year. I shudder to think what we'd look like at the point without him returning.
- There's really little difference in the 2 and 3 in this system that I can tell. So those 7 I have listed at those positions are somewhat interchangeable. I may agree with you that Benson is the opening night starter at SG, but Dawson was last year so I'm just penciling him in for now, despite the rough year he had.
- We both have Turner buried, but he's too experienced to not be in the rotation. So despite how it looks above I expect him to play plenty. Bolton, on the other hand, I'm expecting to be a real 3rd string type guy.

Unfortunately I see some regression this year. Harrell/Martin/Ceaser are going to be difficult to replace. 8 newcomers to 6 returners usually isn't a recipe for success also. And while collectively its not a bad group of newcomers there's no big can't-miss prospect in that group. We'll have to see how they pan out but I'm sure a handful will end up being good players here and a handful will hardly contribute. 6 of the 8 are transfers and without thinking too hard I can't think of our last really good transfer. Isiah Small I guess. Most of our recent great players have come in as freshman (Harrell, Pearson, KGT).

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Good stuff and agree on a lot. Really need one of the juco 2/3 to hit and be a real instant impact player. Three options out of that, so hoping one is a legit dude.

Asberry was a juco. Emani Grant I believe. Drinnon and Morgan on the current roster. But yea, I wish we focused more on HS recruiting. Had Shawn Jones ask out of his NLI and go to Miss St in the ‘22 class. Mason, Sykes and Jones were an awesome trio. Then lose Jones and follow the next class up with only Gumbs and a walk-on/scholly guy who only a North Carolina non NCAA team who wanted him

BobcatRaider

2 - Dawson, Benson, Horne, Tate
I’m not quite as bullish on a guard who shot 30.1% from the field and 29.1% from 3 as a junior last season.

I’m hopeful Dawson can turn it around offensively, but I’d give the early nod to Benson to start, despite Dawson’s seniority.

Benson started as a true freshman for a decent West Point team that finished 4th in the Patriot League, averaging 11.6 ppg on 43.6% FG and 37.1% 3PT. Assuming he improves with a year of experience under his belt, I’d expect him to start here as well. With that said, I assume both with play quite a few minutes regardless.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Yeah I have a tendency to type too much and people probably tl:dr half my posts but I addressed that in the explanation. I have Dawson penciled in just cause he was an opening night starter last year prior to his injury, but I may lean towards Benson starting too, at least at some point in the season.