2023 Season: Clean Slate

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Disclaimer for any player, relative or coach that reads this: Please take my comments with a grain of salt, as I know enough to have a somewhat informed opinion, but certainly not an expert. Volleyball is my favorite team on campus and I’m pulling for every player and coach 100%, even if I am pointing out something that is less than excellent.

I have zero idea what this team can or will do. Return 5% of points scored from last year. It's:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Roster Talk:

Key Losses:
Everyone. Not going to dwell on this - it is what it is.

Key Returners:

OH Maggie Walsh
- The first freshman to get legit playing time since Caitlan Buettner in 2019. Very Swiss Army Knife -can do it all. Most of her rotations were in the back row, where she racked up 100 digs. Think she'll be a leader out of the gate. Pops is the SMHS FBHC.

S Ryan Torres - I'm hoping that the responsibility of setting full time gives her the confidence to succeed. More than anyone else, we need her to play to her potential for this team to be able to do anything. Excellent server w/ 1.7 aces per set last year.

L Alyssa Ortega - Thought she was really good last year, coming in from SFA. Got in HCSH's doghouse maybe somewhere in the middle of conference play and sat for a minute, iirc. With a bunch of unproven front row types, we're going to need strong back row play.

DS Jacqueline Lee - DS might also stand for Designated Server as she came in directly to the line plenty last year, 2nd on the team w/ 61 aces. Took over that L spot and handled business.

MB Jade Defraeye - French National Player who didn't see much time behind the deep vet lineup last year, but should be up to the task. Liked what I saw in limited action.

Younguns:

MB Bailey Hanner
- TAPPS kid w/ 1000+K in HS, but also played for club powerhouse Houston Skyline. Would think she pairs with Defraeye to start the season.

OH Samantha Wunsch - Didn't see action last year, but is apparently a really good athlete. Excited to see what her ceiling is.

Transfers:

OH KJ Johnson
- 2 years at Baylor, followed by 2 years of dominating the MAAC at Fairfield. At only 5' 9": HonMen All America, MAAC POY, MAAC Championship MVP. Looks to be a 6 rotation player w/ a very accurate swing.

OH Sophie Childs - Didn't see a ton of action at Wichita State, but the numbers say she's got game. 6'3" is pretty sweet.

S Carlee Pharis - Didn't play at TCU last year as a freshman. Won a State Championship at Brandeis in 2021 and absolutely balled out in the title match. I actually saw her play in that run as her squad (with Emily DeWalt's sister on it) took down my Westlake Chaps. Curious to see if she pushes Torres, or if we see any 6-2.

Freshmen:

OH Brooke Bentke
and MB Zenai Jethroe are the two I'm guessing we see some of.

There's some potential on this roster, and we're going to see what HCSH can do, because this is all him from here on out. His specialty is setters, and he's got to build Torres' confidence as she sets to a completely new roster. Where does the leadership come from? How quickly can they develop some chemistry and figure each other out?

We're not as tall across the board as we were last year, especially at the pins, but solid w/ 5 players at 6'2" and another a 6'1".

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Sun Belt Conference:

14 Teams, 2 Divisions of 7
Play your Division plus 2 teams from the other Division, 2 matches each, played on back-to-back days. From the East, we play defending Champion JMU in VA and always strong Coastal Carolina in SMTX, so about as strong a conference schedule as you can ask for.

Preseason Offensive Player of the Year:
Miëtte Veldman, James Madison (OH, 5-10, Sr., Daleville, Va.)

Preseason Defensive Player of the Year:
Sophie Davis, James Madison (MB, 6-1, Sr., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)

Preseason Setter of the Year:
Kailey Keeble, South Alabama (S, 5-8, Sr., Maryville, Tenn.)

Preseason Libero of the Year:
Megan Harris, Southern Miss (L, 5-4, Jr., Nesbit, Miss.)

Preseason All-Sun Belt
McCall Denny, App State (OH, 5-9, Sr., High Point, N.C.)
Maya Winterhoff, App State (MB, 6-2, So., Charlottesville, Va.)
Sophie Davis, James Madison (MB, 6-1, Sr., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
Caroline Dozier, James Madison (S, 6-0, Sr., Raleigh, N.C.)
Miëtte Veldman, James Madison (OH, 5-10, Sr., Daleville, Va.)
Myah Conway, Old Dominion (RS, 6-3, Jr., Orwigsburg, Pa.)
Niki Capizzi, South Alabama (MB, 6-3, Sr., Huntington Beach, Calif.)
Kailey Keeble, South Alabama (S, 5-8, Sr., Maryville, Tenn.)
Hannah Maddux, South Alabama (OH, 6-2, Sr., San Antonio, Texas)
Cara Atkinson, Southern Miss (MB, 6-2, Jr., Gardendale, Ala.)
Mia Wesley, Southern Miss (OH, 5-11, Jr., Orem, Utah)
Tori Hester, Troy (OH, 5-9, Jr., Salisbury, N.C.)

2023 Sun Belt Preseason Volleyball Coaches Poll

East Division
1. James Madison – 94 (13)
2. App State – 70 (1)
3. Coastal Carolina – 69
4. Georgia Southern – 55
5. Old Dominion – 54
6. Marshall – 29
7. Georgia State - 21

West Division
1. South Alabama - 93 (10)
2. Texas State - 77 (3)
3. Troy - 71
4. Southern Miss - 51
5. Louisiana - 47
6. Arkansas State - 37 (1)
7. ULM – 16

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Schedule:

Sure don't love it. Not a fan of all the OOC games being tournaments, and certainly don't like the overall level of competition, but it's probably going to benefit us, so... twinkie is going to lose his shit over our RPI, although I doubt it comes into play. Wish we were playing UTSA for real instead of exhibition.

Marist: 35-24 the past 2 years
Tennessee: 17-14/11-7 last year, and went to the NCAA w/ a bullshit P5 bid - 56 RPI vs our 43. I would have called for a W vs them last year.
UT Martin: Regular Season OVC champs, upset in the semis

UNT: 16-15/7-5 last year in CUSA
UH: 30-4 and won 2 games in the NCAA Tournament

Southeast LA: 25-8, Southland Champs
Cal: 14-47 the past 2 years
Abilene Christian: 17-34 the past 2 years

New Hampshire: 19-10, lost in America East finals
Bellarmine: 16-40 the past 2 years
Kansas: 19-11/8-8 and upset Miami in the 1st round of NCAAs

My guess is...???...6-5 going into SBC play?

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Just going off of the stats, it looks like this was our rotation:

Johnson and Wunsch at the pins
Defraeye and Hanner inside
Ortega and Lee in the back
Torres setting

FROM HEAD COACH SEAN HUIET

"[UTSA put a lot of pressure on us. We needed someone on the other side of the net to see where we are at, so it wasn't our cleanest volleyball. But I liked that we stayed composed. It almost felt like we were playing too tense and that's where the errors came from, once we got them to relax a little bit, things looked better. And now headed into Friday we've already played a match and gotten the nerves out."

STAT LEADERS
Volleyball Beats UTSA in Saturday Exhibition

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
KJ Johnson's Homecoming to Texas State

For anyone looking at the 2023 Texas State Volleyball roster, there’s a lot of new names to pay attention to this season.

The team of 17 has seven newcomers.

Only one, though, is in her fifth season of college volleyball, has been a two-time All American, and made a final four appearance. All with one more year of eligibility.

For graduate transfer KJ Johnson though, playing a season at Texas State is about a lot more than volleyball. It’s a chance to come home.

Johnson is a native of Pearland, Texas, a town just outside of Houston. For her family, this means a little under a three-hour drive to San Marcos. A three-hour drive to see Johnson play in her fifth and final season of college volleyball.

It’s been a long time coming for Johnson to get to this final chapter of her career. She started playing volleyball as a kid, something she wasn’t even too keen on in the beginning.

“I didn’t even want to try out for volleyball,” Johnson said. “I thought it was too girly.”

The now outside hitter had been tall since she was a kid. Johnson’s mother had put her and her brother into all the sports she could, knowing they were tall and athletic.

“Once I went to volleyball tryouts,” Johnson said. “I absolutely loved it.”

From there, Johnson continued to play for junior league teams until she was 13. Then, she joined Houston Skyline until she was 17 when she ended up enrolling at Baylor a semester early, before turning 18.

When initially looking for a school to commit to, Johnson didn’t want to stay in Texas. She was looking at out of state options, but Baylor felt right.

“I wanted to go away at first,” Johnson said. “I loved home, but I wanted to experience something different.”

After playing her freshman and sophomore season at Baylor, things just didn’t feel right staying in Waco. Despite finishing her sophomore season with an appearance in the NCAA Championship second round where her team beat Pepperdine, she decided to take a chance and put her name in the transfer portal.

Head coach Sean Huiet and his staff had known about Johnson when she went in the portal in 2021, but the timing didn’t work out with Huiet unable to offer her a scholarship.

Eventually, Johnson committed to Fairfield after good conversations with their coaching staff.

Johnson stepped foot on Fairfield University campus for the first time on report day for her 2021 season. She was never able to take an official visit to the campus prior to committing, but from the beginning she knew that it felt right.

“I was skeptical because it was so far from home,” she said. “I went headfirst into it though and things worked out.”

Johnson had two stellar seasons at Fairfield. She was a two-time MAAC Player of the Year, a two-time All-American, she was named Fairfield’s Women’s Co-Athlete of the Year, she was one of two players in the nation in the 2021 season to have a .300 hitting percentage in over 1,000 attempts.

She was a key in the Stags 24-7 record in the 2022 season as well as the NCAA Championship tournament appearance made in 2021. Johnson has made an NCAA tournament appearance in three of her four seasons as a college volleyball player.

After two years of volleyball in Connecticut, though, she was ready to return home.

“I just kind of said like, it’s my last year, I want to be closer to home,” Johnson said. “I wanted to pick at least one or two things that I wanted for my last year, and I wanted to be back in Texas.”

Once again, Johnson took to the transfer portal.

“I just started looking at all the schools in Texas and emailing coaches,” she said. “At first I emailed [former Texas State volleyball assistant coach] Tori [Plugge], but they weren’t looking for anybody.”

Plugge and the rest of Huiet’s coaching staff had been looking to add someone in the spring to help add some leadership to a young team, but due to Johnson’s credit requirements with Fairfield she was unable to join the Bobcats that soon.

Eventually, though, it worked out that Huiet and his coaching staff were able to offer Johnson a scholarship, and a spot to join in the fall of 2023.

“I was just impressed by my visit, it felt right,” Johnson said. “I felt like they wanted me to be at this school. It was a two hour and 45 minute drive from Houston. My brother went to UTSA and his friends were like ‘you’ll love the school it’s really fun the area is great.’”

Johnson didn’t have to think too much about whether she wanted to become a Bobcat. Once she got to San Marcos, it all felt right. Her family was close enough, she had connections to the town, and it was an opportunity to play a lot of sets in her final season.

“If I went all the way to Connecticut I can go to San Marcos,” Johnson said.

Now, as Johnson gets into San Marcos and starts the first week of being a Bobcat, it’s just about learning her new program and being a leader for a young team.

“Something we need this season is we are pretty young,” Huiet said. “So we were looking for a grad transfer that could come in and bring some experience, and that’s what KJ is. She’s used to being someone who gets a lot of sets. She’s been an All-American, she’s played in the final four. All that experience is going to help our young team. That was instantly why we thought she would be a great fit.”

It was a perfect fit, both sides were able to get things they wanted out of Johnson coming to Texas State. Johnson gets to see her family in the stands each week, Huiet’s staff gets a player who has been in the biggest moments and knows how to handle them.

“She’s played in a lot of matches, she’s taken a lot of big swings,” Huiet said. “She’s in a position where she gets to play these last four months of volleyball and what she makes of it is up to her. We’re on the same page with that, she knows what we need and she knows what she wants.”

Another thing about Johnson that Huiet loves is her leadership style.

“She’s not a yeller, she’s someone who is going to just work hard and lead by example,” Huiet said. “She may not know our program just yet, but we’re going to rely heavily on her still.”

For Johnson, this last season is about making her family proud and enjoying playing in front of her support system again. Her parents are already plan on being at every home game, and even some of the road games.

Her self-proclaimed “grandma season” is an opportunity to leaving a lasting impression on the program and make her family proud.

“[My family] know I try and do my best to work as hard as I can,” Johnson said. “But especially in this last year, no one else in my family is a student-athlete, I’m the first to go to grad school. It’d be cool finish that for them and not just for me, to be the first in my family.”

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
After upsetting #13 Houston, we're not ranked, but we're on the radar:

Others receiving votes and listed on two or more ballots: Rice 96; Iowa State 78; Western Kentucky 66; Washington 32; Dayton 24; UCF 17; Utah State 11; San Diego 9; James Madison 7; Texas A&M 7; Colorado State 6; Duke 6; Texas State 5.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
S Ryan Torres - I'm hoping that the responsibility of setting full time gives her the confidence to succeed. More than anyone else, we need her to play to her potential for this team to be able to do anything. Excellent server w/ 1.7 aces per set last year.
I think being the S outright has really given her confidence. She looks like a completely different player than she did when she was filling in for Emily when she had the shoulder injury.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Texas State’s Ryann Torres, SBC setter of the week, no longer patiently waiting

SAN MARCOS, Texas — When Texas State plays host to Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, it will do so with the reigning Sun Belt Conference setter of the week.

Which is nothing unusual at Texas State, where Emily DeWalt was the league setter of the week six times in 2022. Heck for that matter, DeWalt — the setter of the week 25 times in her career — was the five-time Sun Belt setter of the year from 2018-22.

Which leads us to Ryann Torres.

After Texas State beat North Texas in five and then swept then-No. 13 Houston last week, Torres was named the Sun Belt setter of the week.

“She’s had the hardest job in the country, being behind Emily DeWalt,” Texas State coach Sean Hueit said. “It’s fun to see her take over and do it her way. And I’ve told her, you don’t have to be Emily DeWalt, you get to be Ryan Torres and run the show the way you know how.”

And run it she has. Texas State is 4-1 and the 5-foot-10 Torres is averaging 10.65 assists and 2.59 digs per set.

And here’s the thing: She looks so mean while doing it.

“One-thousand percent. Yes,” Torres admitted with a laugh. “It’s not intentional. I can be having the best day ever and I’ll be walking on campus and I’ll have someone come up to me later in the day and say, ‘You looked really mad. Are you OK?’ No, it’s just my face.

“And it shows a little more when I’m thinking and focusing and my wheels are turning.”

Her wheels were really turning against Houston as Texas State pulled off a stunning 25-18, 25-22, 25-19 sweep.

“I have this mindset,” Torres said. “See ball, get ball.”

“Ryann played so good today. She was so outstanding and such a good teammate,” redshirt-freshman outside Samantha Wunsch said after the Houston match when Torres had a kill, 36 assists, nine digs and two blocks. Her Bobcats hit .392 and Wunsch had 11 kills with one error in 25 attacks and three blocks, one solo and is this week’s Sun Belt offensive player of the week. She had 15 kills and six blocks against North Texas.

“She was waiting for a long time and now that this season is here, she’s so hungry and so ready,” Wunsch said. “She’s being such a good teammate and such a good leader.”

And persistently patient. She got some playing time when DeWalt was injured, for example setting for her one spring when DeWalt had surgery, and serving for her when her shoulder was injured.

But four years as a reserve is a long time.

Torres grew up just 10 miles from campus in Buda, where she was a good player for Jack C. Hays High School.

“In high school I had an important role and coming to Texas State and being behind Emily DeWalt, it took a toll on me a little bit,” Torres said. “There definitely was an adjustment. I learned how to be there for my teammates, just in a different way and I think that taught me so much. And I use that playing on the court now.”

Torres, the second-oldest of five sisters, admitted there were moments when she questioned her situation, but credited a strong support system and encouragement from a lot of family/friends/people along the way.

“(Quitting) never crossed my mind but I was down a little bit at times,” she said. “I wanted to prove myself every single day and that was my biggest motivation.”

While DeWalt is now a coach at UT-Arlington, Hueit has added to his staff former Rice All-American setter Carly Graham, who has had a tremendous positive influence on Torres.

“She’s the best resource. She’s awesome,” Torres said. “We have position training and me and (TCU freshman transfer) Carlee Pharris, the other setter, and we come out of that look at each other after and it’s like, ‘Damn, she knows her stuff.’ And she can make it so simple.”

Graham appreciates Torres.

“She works so hard in the gym every day,” Graham said. “She gets after it. She’s a great teammate, very coachable, and had bought in to working to be better and being better for her teammates.”

Torres credits having a big family and those three younger sisters for some of it.

“There were times when I was playing mom. Yes, my parents are married and everything, but being one of the oldest and when my dad was at work, I helped my mom out. I played dad. I think I have that motherly nature and had that leadership role instilled in me very naturally.”

After the Houston match, Torres, listed as a senior but with another year of eligibility remaining, thanks to COVID, was all smiles.

“It felt so good,” Torres admitted. “The feeling is indescribable.”

The smile looked good on her.

“From the outside she looks like she’s a bad-ass, like she’s a mean girl, but Ryann is just the sweetest person,” Wunsch said. “On and off the court.”

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Now that we've settled into the lineup, and teams have some film to scout, I think our warts are being exposed.

The biggest issue, imo, is the left side. KJ is doing work, hitting .281, but Walsh is hitting .169 and Childs is at .163. Walsh isn't a leaper and she doesn't have a big swing, so if she's going to score, she needs to learn how to get crafty. Not sure what to make of Childs - she's tall and strong, but doesn't have great timing or accuracy, which is why I think we've seen less of her as of late.

I don't know how rotations get fixed, but Friday night we were getting destroyed when KJ was back row w/ the littles, and front row is Maggie, Ryann and Jade. Weren't good enough in serve receive to get a good attack, and not tall or aggressive enough to defend the net. I think Bailey is a bit better than Jade, but then she's not in when we've got our strongest lineup in w/ Sam/Bailey/KJ up front, and I don't know that swapping them does much good, given the lack of height at the pins.

10 straight is brutal

Service Errors - the 1st serve ones are the real killers and all 18 of our errors this weekend were on first serve. So frustrating.