2023 TX HS Football

GolfCat

Wild!!

Goliad put themselves in the driver's seat for a district championship by beating Edna on Friday. My assistant (Goliad resident) was worried that they wouldn't have a chance. I told him that if they could get the lead early they would have a chance because of their ball control offense. Told him that I thought Edna played undisciplined and "lazy". Sure enough, they got the lead and won 21-6.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Think he thought the sideline was going to be his friend. Literally all he had to do was extend his arm and push the runner out of bounds. The game was a blowout, but you'd think Steele kids would be better prepared.

GolfCat

2nd round of HS playoffs this week. Haven't really been following that closely this year. Kind of surprise last night with Edna easily handling Jourdanton 46-6. Jourdanton was undefeated on the season. Round 2 games start to get interesting because you start having winners from one district vs runner-ups from another district.

Local teams playing tonight.

2A-D1
Ganado over Mason last night. 37-12
Shiner (5-6) vs. Holland (11-0)
Refugio (10-1) vs Johnson City (9-2)
Weimar (9-2) vs LaVilla (9-2)

3A-D1
Goliad (9-2) takes on Hondo (10-1) in Marion tonight
Industrial (7-3) takes on Randolph (10-1) in LaGrange
London (7-4) take on Blanco (9-2)

3A-D2
Tidehaven (10-0) vs. Dilley (8-2). The Tigers defense has allowed only 20pts for the year.

4A-D1
Beeville Jones (8-3) vs. Davenport (8-3)
Calhoun (7-4) vs. Burnet (8-3)
Alice (9-1) vs. Lampasas (9-2)

4A-D2
Cuero (11-0) vs. Hampshire-Fannett (10-1)
Sinton (8-2-1) vs. Lago Vista (7-4)

5A-D1
Victoria East (8-3) vs. PSJA North (11-0)
Victoria West (5-6) vs Harlingen So. (8-3)

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Westlake plays SA Reagan w/ our QB commit tonight in Seguin

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Neither game was as close as the score.

48-21 Lake Travis over Johnson
45-28 Westlake over Reagan

Brennan is the last chance for SATX in 6A1 next week vs Lake Travis.

Drip vs Judson today should be a good one in 6A2.

I don't see how DeSoto doesn't take 6A2 this year. They just whacked Duncanville 49-35 a couple of weeks ago.

Bobcat94

Drip has a really good team with a strong offensive line. I'd think they could make some noise if things fall their way in a close game. Looks like a rematch coming soon for LT. Rockwall and Westfield could be a shootout and Duncanville hasn't scored less than 60 yet! Same for Atascocita! I am thinking Atascocita give North Shore a run when they meet next round. High School football at Thanksgiving. Goal checked for the remaining teams.

Bobcat94

The LT Westlake game will be a sellout. Apparently, there were discussions to have it at DKR, but UT said No. I think it should have been at Bobcat Stadium for all practical purposes the same as driving to Pflugerville for both teams. I would have loved to see that! Carter has weathered an early storm with the controversy that popped up the first round of playoffs. Westlake defense is looking strong and the offense is starting to open up. LT's defense will bring some surprises for the Chaps. There are some crazy good games all over the state this coming weekend!

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I don't understand why it's being held in Pflugerville at all. Reeves and Gupton are both bigger, and closer to both schools. We're talking about 2 teams that put close to 30K into DKR for a season opener about 15 years back. Bummer it couldn't be there or SMTX.

Bobcat94

Agree. I'd think they would fill up Bobcat Stadium. That would be the perfect place for this game. Pfield seats 10? The game at the Alamodome was crazy quiet. I don't know if it was the curtains covering the upper deck or what. Could have been the 35 scored in the first quarter...

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
That was a heck of a game! Defensive battle w/ what - 5 turnovers? 6? I don't think Westlake has a chance against North Shore, but I didn't think they had a chance a couple years back either.

Bobcat94

I think Westlake’s defense keeps them in the game against North Shore. North Shore is having fits with Atascocita.

Bobcat94

Man, I would try and make it if you can. Public access to tickets opens tomorrow. The game last week was one of the loudest high school football games I've been to. Lt is three or four plays away from that being a different game. Not saying they win, but the game would have been played differently but Westlake is a very hard-hitting, physical team. I don't know how the Chaps will respond playing from behind if NS gets a lead. The offense is playing very conservatively right now, but I feel like they can open up the play book. Kyser is playing his ass off and the Chaps need to back off the safeties and spread out the LB's for him with the passing game. NS is NS. Really damn good. I think this Westlake team is better than people thought at the beginning of the season.

Keep in mind you can access parking from the eastside of the stadium. Coming from IH 35 and up 1826 if you are getting close to game time will be tough. Stay to the right and work your way to the east side of the stadium or come down from 45.

I am very surprised Drip lost to Steele. That Drip team is very good and the offensive line may be one of the best in the state. They also were a better team than a lot of people thought.