2024 Baseball Sun Belt conference

carmanjello325

Also, we were a Top 5 team in SBC last year after the historic season in 2022.
trouts rpi finishes in conference. 8th. last (bounced early in tournament but in current format would not have made it). 1st and bounced early from sun belt tournament. 5th and bounced early from sun belt tournament. currently scheduled for 11th with no opportunity to even be bounced early from tournament. so hes gone from being bounced early three times in the tournament to a real chance of not making it to the tournament. 2-5 in sun belt tournament with a real chance of not making it isnt a great body of a work for the guy who is supposed to turn things around soon

Bobcat87

trouts rpi finishes in conference. 8th. last (bounced early in tournament but in current format would not have made it). 1st and bounced early from sun belt tournament. 5th and bounced early from sun belt tournament. currently scheduled for 11th with no opportunity to even be bounced early from tournament. so hes gone from being bounced early three times in the tournament to a real chance of not making it to the tournament. 2-5 in sun belt tournament with a real chance of not making it isnt a great body of a work for the guy who is supposed to turn things around soon
uuuhhh, Define Soon.

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
In the 39 full seasons that Texas State has played baseball, we've won 36 games or more a grand total of 10 times. That's about 25% of all seasons in program history. Trout has 2 of those seasons in four full years of coaching, or 50% ratio thus far.

In 39 seasons we've been to the Regionals 6 times, or about 15% of all seasons. Trout won't make it this year obviously but his 1 of 6 in four years would be 25% ratio.

He's also the only coach to exceed 41 wins in a season ever, and had us one inning away from the Super Regional with multiple Regional wins. Captain of the most successful season in our history by a mile. He is currently 62-46 in SBC play over his tenure thus far, or .574 (much better than just .500).

We certainly need a bigger sample size to see if he is the right guy for the long haul, but he's had more success in his first four years than any other baseball coach we've had. I think the criticism has been pretty harsh personally. And again, without substantial NIL funding increases I think it's completely unrealistic to expect 40+ wins every year out of ANY coach (insert name here) over the near future.

In the 39 full seasons that Texas State has played baseball, we've won 36 games or more a grand total of 10 times. That's about 25% of all seasons in program history. Trout has 2 of those seasons in four full years of coaching, or 50% ratio thus far.

In 39 seasons we've been to the Regionals 6 times, or about 15% of all seasons. Trout won't make it this year obviously but his 1 of 6 in four years would be 25% ratio.

He's also the only coach to exceed 41 wins in a season ever, and had us one inning away from the Super Regional with multiple Regional wins. Captain of the most successful season in our history by a mile. He is currently 62-46 in SBC play over his tenure thus far, or .574 (much better than just .500).

We certainly need a bigger sample size to see if he is the right guy for the long haul, but he's had more success in his first four years than any other baseball coach we've had. I think the criticism has been pretty harsh personally. And again, without substantial NIL funding increases I think it's completely unrealistic to expect 40+ wins every year out of ANY coach (insert name here) over the near future.
This is some harsh truth you’re serving up.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member

Truth. We need more NIL for baseball. If we had to suck at one of the big 3 male sports I’m picking basketball everytime. Some of us deer hunt lol.

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
Truth. We need more NIL for baseball. If we had to suck at one of the big 3 male sports I’m picking basketball everytime. Some of us deer hunt lol.
I would be very curious if anyone here could provide insight into what our baseball program receives in NIL? Or if there is a set "budget?" College sports going forward will unrecognizable compared to what we are all used to. It's literally year-to-year free agency. The amount of money available will largely determine roster quality and depth, which will largely drive the consistency of results you get on the field/court, etc. Period.

If y'all want these Bobcats to be competitive whatsoever going forward, please donate what you comfortably can. Muy importante.

Last edited:

carmanjello325

yay one of the barely 36 win seasons under his belt qualified him for 60th. you shouldnt gage what is considered a good season based on what previous regimes allowed. it should be based upon what smaller schools like s miss, lafayette and troy consider to be a good season

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
yay one of the barely 36 win seasons under his belt qualified him for 60th. you shouldnt gage what is considered a good season based on what previous regimes allowed. it should be based upon what smaller schools like s miss, lafayette and troy consider to be a good season
Any fan can have any standard of good or great that they want to. When talking about the direction of a program and the current coach's tenure specifically, building on past results matters 100%. The schools you mentioned above have been playing baseball since 1913, 1903, and 1911 respectively. Ours was founded in 1985. All of those schools were going to Regionals by the time our program was even in it's infancy. LOL.

We beat Texas in 2 out of 3 games this year (an SEC bound team) and picked up a couple of other Power conference wins, while also taking care of UTSA at home in an absolute thriller. This season hasn't been total trash at all. SBC play has been tough this year but it's also a damn good baseball conference.

Trout still isn't getting fired this year no matter how much you gripe, and this University will run out a new team next year. Life goes on, man.

You know, I actually feel really sorry for you, Cancerjello325. Seeing the world through your fan expectation lens must be absolutely torturous. Like every day and every month and practically every year must be completely disappointing from your perspective. I hope someday you can find an inner peace that allows you to see the light among darkness in your fandom. It's a lot more enjoyable that way!

franslasttwinkie

Y’all are having a weird conversation. UTSA football didn’t exist prior to like what 2011? CCU baseball? Well, the entire university as a 4 year school started well.. not that long before TXST baseball was launched. Start dates like that don’t really seem to have any bearing anymore as much as I’d like it to still handicap those programs right now.

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
Y’all are having a weird conversation. UTSA football didn’t exist prior to like what 2011? CCU baseball? Well, the entire university as a 4 year school started well.. not that long before TXST baseball was launched. Start dates like that don’t really seem to have any bearing anymore as much as I’d like it to still handicap those programs right now.
The point is that those are all, and have been, very established baseball programs. We are still establishing ours but Trout has contributed to elevating the program resume overall so far through 4 full seasons in my opinion.

That doesn't mean that this year isn't disappointing. It certainly is. Big time.

Trout will be judged by his entire body of work in just a year or two from now when the extension gets closer to running up. If the team stays on this trajectory he'll be gone obviously. But he's skippered winning baseball here in just the recent past, so he'll get the opportunity to show he can do it again before judgment day comes with his current contract.

There's no point in bemoaning this season anymore. It's pretty much in the books and nothing is changing for now, so let's just root the team on and appreciate the wins they do notch along the way.

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
Good game by the Bobcats this evening....let's hope we carry the momentum into tomorrow.
Fantastic game by our Bobcats. A 6-0 shutout against a ranked team. Great way to start a must-win series!

ODU lost tonight and is now just one game ahead. GSU vs. Coastal was suspended in the 3rd, but we'll be tied with whoever loses that game. Our SBC tourney hopes are still alive for now.

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
Woooo!! Walk off bomb in the 11th to take the series against #21 Troy. Super clutch and keeps our SBC Tourney hopes very much alive. The last series against Southern Miss is going to be tough but I'm proud of our guys for battling back this weekend and giving themselves a chance. Let's see what happens!

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
Yup, I’ll be keeping tabs on the Georgia State / OD series. I believe we have the tie breaker against both teams.
*Corrected after initial post*
So this is where things get really interesting. We didn't play GSU this year so there is no direct head-to-head record with them. But we did take the series against ODU. In the scenario in which we end up tied in conf record with GSU, the next tiebreaker would then be record against the top team in the standings and then working down from there to #2, and then #3, and so on.

The top team right now is Louisiana, and we lost all 3 against them. GSU didn't play Louisiana this season though so we would catch a break there and it would go to #2 which is Southern Miss. GSU actually managed to go 2-1 against Southern Miss. So if we only win one game against Southern Miss, and they only win one game against ODU, then GSU would actually have the tiebreaker over us.

Otherwise, we need to hope for one of these scenarios:
1) We win 2 against Southern Miss which would put us ahead of either GSU or ODU depending on who loses that series, or
2) We win one game against Southern Miss and GSU gets swept by ODU, or
3) We win one game against Southern Miss and ODU gets swept by GSU

There are a number of possibilities here. The most important thing is that we take care of our own business and win at least 2 against Southern Miss. If we do that, we're in. If not, we need to hope a sweep happens one way or another in the GSU vs ODU series. We'll see what happens.

Eat 'em up, Bobcats!!

Last edited: