2024 Baseball Sun Belt conference

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
The bullpen didn't hold up in the late innings of game 3 with ODU and the furious 9th inning rally came up short (but sure got exciting for a minute there). Our guys still took the series and now sit at 10-14 in conf play, currently 11th. The crazy thing is teams #5-#10 are all between 11-10-1 and 10-13. Just a game or two of separation. It's unlikely, but if this team can go at least 4-2 over the next two series and get some help along the way, we just might have a chance to sneak into the SBC tourney. Baseball is a weird/streaky sport and anything can happen. Eat 'em up, Cats!

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
this isnt the sec if coach fishy fishy cant win 50/50 in the sun belt or better hes gotta go
You clearly don't like Trout and that's fine, but you're definitely not going to get your wish this year with his extension running through 2027. Also, we were a Top 5 team in SBC last year after the historic season in 2022.

This is a down year for sure but I'd like to see how next year goes before calling it an established trend. It's tough to sustain that kind of success in baseball every year. For now I'm going to hold out faith that this year's team finishes the season strong and next year's team rebounds back to being a top echelon team in the conference again.

If not, then I'll eventually join you in calling for the pitchforks.

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
you sound like an aggy reminiscing in the rearview mirror. well…no at least they have accountability there. dont bother mentioning 2021 bc facts dont matter…

View attachment 6663
You're just full of vinegar. I was talking about the last two years, dude. Recent history is the most relevant thing you can reference when talking about a current coach who is having a down year. It wasn't like 2022 was his first year, he built up to it and that matters a lot.

However, the glory of a 47-win season only lasts so long, so the question now is whether can he build us back up into a winner again. That is what matters going forward of course. But let's have some faith and root for our Bobcats instead of slinging hate at the coach and insults at fellow board members.

If you keep it up I'll have to start calling you Cancerjello325!

Last edited:

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
you sound like an aggy reminiscing in the rearview mirror. well…no at least they have accountability there. dont bother mentioning 2021 bc facts dont matter…

View attachment 6663
Oh and also, I see that you are not an M&G Collective member yet. My challenge to you and anyone else on here who want to constantly bitch is that you at least donate some money towards helping these programs get better! It is going to make a huge difference in this new landscape of college sports. Thanks

carmanjello325

so the question now is whether can he build us back up into a winner again.
who said anything about him having to build things back up to being a winner?

This is a down year for sure but I'd like to see how next year goes before calling it an established trend. It's tough to sustain that kind of success in baseball every year.
id hardly call .500 in the league sustained success and thats rather a low bar

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
id hardly call .500 in the league sustained success and thats rather a low bar
He's talking about our 47-14 in 2022 and 36-23 in 2023. It's hard to have sustained success like that year in and year out. Especially in a conference as good as the Sun Belt. Is it possible, yes. Would we all like to be a perennial 40+ win program making it to Omaha every year? Obviously. All anyone is saying is that we have had success under Trout and one bad season isn't enough for most of us to jump on the fire Trout bandwagon.

I don't like how this season has turned out as much as anyone, but I'm also willing to give Trout a chance to turn things around. We have shown at times this season to be an exciting and talented team. We lack quality pitching and consistency across the board, but the talent is there. Trout just needs to put it all together.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Have to say I'm not only disappointed by how this season has gone, but shocked as well. I think most expected the quality of pitching to drop a bit with everyone we lost, but for the offense to disappear as well? Hope the portal is kind to us over the next 9 months and we can get back on track. Embarrassing to miss a conference tournament when our goal should be making a Super Regional.

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
Depending on whether or not we own the tie breaker with GSU we could still get in the tournament finishing 5-1 vs the top 3 teams in the standings if GSU finishes 4-2. But yeah that’s too embarrassing to even bother to figure out a #10 seed tie breaker with an extended coach.
There are 3 teams just one game ahead right now: GSU, South Alabama, and Coastal. ODU is two games ahead but we own the tiebreaker. This weekend Coastal hosts GSU so one of those teams will be 12-15 at best after this weekend. The following weekend, GSU hosts ODU, so again someone just in front is coming out with one win at best in that series. South Alabama and Coastal both play on the road that weekend too.

So, if we can somehow pull out two against Troy at home, we have a real chance to make the SBC tourney (provided we don't get swept at Southern Miss). It all hinges on taking care of business in this series, but I'm not ready to declare that we've missed it yet. And no, I'm not satisfied with just making the SBC tourney but that's the best case scenario from where we are this year so that's what I'll hope for.

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
Have to say I'm not only disappointed by how this season has gone, but shocked as well. I think most expected the quality of pitching to drop a bit with everyone we lost, but for the offense to disappear as well? Hope the portal is kind to us over the next 9 months and we can get back on track. Embarrassing to miss a conference tournament when our goal should be making a Super Regional.
The portal is true college free agency in 2024 now that players can transfer multiple times with immediate eligibility. The best players will generally be going to the highest bidders. There's no kindness or fairness to it and that's the new reality. I just saw recent NCAA estimates of NIL & revenue which had us at #102 out of all D1 schools. On the revenue side, even schools like Rhode Island and Ohio had higher ticket sales, which is sad because they are nowhere near our enrollment. See it here: https://nil-ncaa.com/

I have no idea what our NIL allocation is between all the sports but I bet football gets most of the money. So, if we're not even in the top 100 of all D1 for NIL with baseball getting a modest slice of that, why would the expectations be that we're competing for Super Regionals (top 16) every year these days? Seeing those figures is actually what made me search out M&G, join, and immediately sign up for the collective.

I'm doing my part now, buying tickets & attending games, buying a ton of merchandise, and donating. But it will take a hell of a lot more fans doing the same before we can raise our expectations to being some perennial Top 25 in ANY sport. There is a massive resource gap right now between the top programs and us. We need to close that gap as fast as possible and raise expectations along the way.

For anyone reading this who isn't already donating, PLEASE sign up if at all possible. It really will make all the difference going forward in this new era of college sports.

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
The portal is true college free agency in 2024 now that players can transfer multiple times with immediate eligibility. The best players will generally be going to the highest bidders. There's no kindness or fairness to it and that's the new reality. I just saw recent NCAA estimates of NIL & revenue which had us at #102 out of all D1 schools. On the revenue side, even schools like Rhode Island and Ohio had higher ticket sales, which is sad because they are nowhere near our enrollment. See it here: https://nil-ncaa.com/

I have no idea what our NIL allocation is between all the sports but I bet football gets most of the money. So, if we're not even in the top 100 of all D1 for NIL with baseball getting a modest slice of that, why would the expectations be that we're competing for Super Regionals (top 16) every year these days? Seeing those figures is actually what made me search out M&G, join, and immediately sign up for the collective.

I'm doing my part now, buying tickets & attending games, buying a ton of merchandise, and donating. But it will take a hell of a lot more fans doing the same before we can raise our expectations to being some perennial Top 25 in ANY sport. There is a massive resource gap right now between the top programs and us. We need to close that gap as fast as possible and raise expectations along the way.

For anyone reading this who isn't already donating, PLEASE sign up if at all possible. It really will make all the difference going forward in this new era of college sports.
Oh, and for anyone who didn't bother to scroll through the 101 programs estimated to be ahead of us, 9 of them are SBC schools. We're not even middle of the pack in our own conference yet. Everybody needs to step up!

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
I just saw recent NCAA estimates of NIL & revenue which had us at #102 out of all D1 schools. On the revenue side, even schools like Rhode Island and Ohio had higher ticket sales, which is sad because they are nowhere near our enrollment. See it here: https://nil-ncaa.com/
I can pretty much guarantee that those numbers aren't accurate. Looks like they're only taking into account Victory Star in their estimates. I know for certain there are several NIL deals that were made with our players outside of Victory Star and that was before we even launched M&G Collective.

I can't speak for the accuracy of the other collectives or schools on that list, but our number is going to be significantly under estimated.

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member
I can pretty much guarantee that those numbers aren't accurate. Looks like they're only taking into account Victory Star in their estimates. I know for certain there are several NIL deals that were made with our players outside of Victory Star and that was before we even launched M&G Collective.

I can't speak for the accuracy of the other collectives or schools on that list, but our number is going to be significantly under estimated.
That is fantastic to hear! I think it's a little bit in arrears so it probably wouldn't capture anything M&G has done recently. They also admit in their methodology that the NIL estimates can be too high or too low and figures per school are based on a formula derived from booster support. The ticket sales figures were still pretty telling though. This fan base needs to rally behind the teams more than ever with NIL donation, merchandise purchases, and attending games (regularly if possible).

BobcatsFan4Life

M&G Collective Member

@JustinS09 you can contact them if you'd like to get M&G listed as a collective. Looks like they last updated this in November 2023:
Additions or Changes? Contact us at: edits@nil-ncaa.com Listing last updated 11/27/2023