22/23 Offseason thread

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Man, that's a bummer. I hope they have a grad school program she wants, because they're a bad team in the best conference. 13th in a 14 team conference the last 3 years. She's going to see some real studs at the pin.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
That would be tough to do. She would have been the best/most experienced player on the team next year and likely play every single set. It's not like she didn't get a TON of time on the floor here. I have to think she feels it's just time for her to move on with everyone else leaving too.

...YR............M...............S
2022.....24/31.....73/119
2021.....31/32.....91/110
2020.....36/40.....104/141
2019.....23/33.....51/118

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Not sure if you are kidding or not, but I've always felt that would be a great venue, with a little sprucing up. Not sure it would meet the min requirements for an NCAA venue, but it would be pretty damn cool if it did.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Volleyball Adds Transfers Childs, Pharris

Texas State volleyball added two mid-year transfers in former high school All-American setter Carlee Pharris and experienced outside hitter Sophie Childs, head coach Sean Huiet announced on Friday.

Pharris arrives in San Marcos from TCU and is a rising redshirt freshman while Childs is a rising junior from Wichita State.

"I am really excited about adding Carlee and Sophie to our roster for the spring," said Huiet. "It's such an advantage to be here in the spring training and making a connection with the team and coaching staff. They are both great people, not just volleyball players. What they will add on and off the court fits right in with our culture."

A San Antonio native, Pharris did not play in any matches for the Horned Frogs this past season as a true freshman. Coming out of Brandeis High School, though, Pharris was the No. 70 overall prep player in the nation in the class of 2022, according to PrepVolleyball.com, and was a first team All-American by AVCA and MaxPreps.

"Carlee has a high volleyball IQ and is a true student of the game," said Huiet. "She loves the x's and o's and works really hard to be the factor for her team. She's a very athletic setter who will fit into our system very well."

Pharris led Brandeis High School to its first-ever Texas UIL 6A Volleyball state championship during her senior season in an accolade-ridden campaign. She had 1,261 assists, 361 digs, 73 aces and 63 blocks in 2021 and went on to earn all-state and District 28-6A Setter of the Year honors. She was also named to the 6A All-Tournament Team after recording 49 assists, 12 digs and seven blocks in the championship-clinching match.

Originally from Tulsa, Okla., Childs has spent the last two seasons at Wichita State where she played in 36 career matches. She totaled 110 kills over the three-season career – she appeared in one match during the 2021 spring season – and added 29 blocks.

"Sophie is a big physical pin player that can play both left and right side," said Huiet. "We wanted to bring in some more size and firepower, and Sophie provides that. She has potential to be very offensive, but also a defensive pin as blocking is one of her strengths."

Childs went to Wichita State after being a four-year letterwinner at Bixby High School in Oklahoma. A two-time all-conference first team selection as a junior and senior and honorable mention all-conference as a sophomore, she was named all-state as a senior after registering 238 kills, 186 digs, 50 blocks and 24 aces. She had 842 kills, 308 digs and 276 blocks over her entire high school career.

Texas State, coming off a 24-7 season (14-2 Sun Belt), returns 10 from last year's team that reached the Sun Belt Championship match.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
"We wanted to bring in some more size and firepower, and Sophie provides that.
Y'all know I love me some height, but not being able to get real playing time at a very meh program isn't encouraging.