****F1rst Responder ServPro Bowl Texas State vs Rice Game Day Thread****

Colt Golden

*Instead his OC ran him straight into the line every time.
Same gap scheme run plays we have ran all year. Not like we run the toss with him or stretch. We are a big counter and power o run team. Very little zone or zone read. Have been all year and last game didn't change. Difference was Rice limited the bounce and squeezed the inside hole.

On Jeter's longer TD he bounced it. Mahdi's first and longest run to the start the game Rice didn't do a good job of squeezing or filling the hole. Mahdi, accelerated like an electric vehicle into the secondary. We couldn't find those type of holes when we were trying to ice the game. I think we went solely to the run game a little too soon, but our defense stepped up. It ended up being good complimentary football, but I wouldn't have trusted our D that much.

Mpf43

What game were you at. I was on the home side and we overwhelmed Rice. Could you not here the stands rattle on 3rd down. I know it effected the Rice communication. You could see it in the communication of QB with the line call and his skill players.
I am not referring to this game. My reference was that i am more annoyed by our fans not making noise at home games than ltk5h saying he is annoying by making noise in third down.

Ruwallydog

M&G Collective Member
So many friends keep sending me links to news about Texas State fans drinking the stadium dry. All I say is don’t invite us to your house unless you’re serious and have a stocked fridge. Our fans sounded pretty boisterous on TV. I can only imagine how much rowdier they would have been if not forced to abstain the second half. I recall our first game in 2006 was a sellout, an effect of the previous year’s deep playoff run. They better figure out a solution to the concessions problem at Bobcat Stadium by the home opener next season. I’m expecting a big crowd for each of the September games at least.
Preach!!!

Pintail45

M&G Gift Contributor
Read through all 23 pages of Rice's Bowl thread and here are the highlights. I expected some whining/sour grapes, and while I don't think we're particularly dirty, we def need to clean up the stupid penalties next year.

For your viewing pleasure:

"Do you really think Texas State is outplaying us by that much, if at all? We've handed them 21 points (on two Pick-6s and a muffed pooch kick to start the 2nd half). The defense continues to shut them down-- even when they get the ball in great field position due to our pathetic special teams play. Yes, their DL obliterated our OL, but even average QB play and we'd still be very much in this game. You guys keep praising Kinne, but what I see is one the most undisciplined, dirtiest teams (next to SMU) we've played. Save for their two 1Q scoring drives, their offense has done virtually nothing, despite repeated great field position."

"Again, for a school such as Rice, Kinne is not the answer. Not only did he rebuild this team almost entirely off the transfer portal (something Rice can never do because of academic requirements), but he plays undisciplined, dirty football. No thanks."

"Finley was not very good either, but at least he didn't throw the ball at our defensive backs."

"Their players are absolute trash."

"Their players are garbage, and based on what I observed here in the stands, their fans are no picnic. Classless all around."

"I saw at least three instances of TXST throwing punches that were not called. I wonder if the 45 yards and three first downs would have helped."

"They were playing dirty from the opening kickoff. This was clearly being coached as their defensive players and OL got an extra "push" in after every single whistle. As I said in previous posts, they could have easily been called for another 5 - 7 unsportsmanlike conduct calls. Their coach should have been given a warning at some point for all the extracurricular physicality."

"Thug State Bobcats"

And my favorite from an Oxford fan:

"I was waiting for this traditional whine of the losers. Maybe Rice should stick to Quiz Bowl"

"Texas State (and its fans) had fun last night
Rice (and Coach Mike Bloomgren) Wang Chunged last night"

franslasttwinkie

Boy how things aged well and quickly including my very own receipts.

Now, they’ve spent all the good will they’ve earned from the fans and we go back to having 7,500 people show up to games. I’m so tired of caring about this football team year in and year out only to find myself disappointed every freaking time. I honestly don’t even care if we go to a bowl or not anymore. I was excited about the possibility of playing in a bowl game in TX, but now I think I’ll save my money since it’s not worth driving to Dallas to watch a mid-tier MAC team drop 55 points on us.

franslasttwinkie

Read through all 23 pages of Rice's Bowl thread and here are the highlights. I expected some whining/sour grapes, and while I don't think we're particularly dirty, we def need to clean up the stupid penalties next year.
The tone of their board was already scripted and rehearsed prior to the game.

Part of Rice’s message board seems to still be stuck in a denial of haze living in a SWC conference world. Others seem to be concerned about TXST being on the verge of leapfrogging them like UTSA did to us in just their 6th season ever having a team. Very strange alternate universe over there.

Pintail45

M&G Gift Contributor
The tone of their board was already scripted and rehearsed prior to the game.
Maybe so but all of those comments were posted during and after the game. Of course they're pissed, but their frustrations go far beyond just losing to us.

And I'm not saying we did or didn't do any of those things--I was sitting too far away to see with any clarity and I haven't watched the film yet--but I can say that in general, we have failed to teach the younger generation the value of good sportsmanship and friendly competition. Seeing it across all sports at all levels--players punching other players, refs, and excessively arrogant celebrations.

A wise man once said that Champions win with humility and lose with dignity. And despite what the Coach Primes of the world may teach, when you win with an arrogant or entitled attitude, people will resent your success; but when you win with with humility and respect, people will root for you and cheer you on.

But that won't get you on the cover of SI these days...

Colt Golden

Man, how times have changed.
I do not think for the best. However, I am old and crusty. Such is the way of the world. Hell, when I played and coached, I had trouble keeping my passion under wraps. Likely, irritating many of the previous generation.

At least in the fall, I can relish in the play between the whistles. The blitz pickups, the blocks of pulling lineman, the downhill lb's, and the swiveling hips of the DB's take my mind off the world a little. The basics of the greatest team sport ever have not changed.

Last edited:

franslasttwinkie

JT Daniels being out is nothing exclusive to the bowl game. He was out the prior 4 games and still they hung 31 points on SMU. Also, Rice didn’t allow 45 points all season whether it was defensive points or not.

We gave them 130 yards of penalties to help offset the pick 6s and still they couldn’t cut the deficit more. Rice was outmanned on both sides of the trenches even if the pass yards weren’t there to show for it.