Game Thread - @ Louisiana

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Sorry, way late with this one. Gonna be a bit rushed. Cats in Lafayette vs. the Cajuns this Thursday night.

Thursday Schedule
Georgia Southern @ App State (-7) - in progress
Arkansas State @ Troy (-3.5) - 6pm
Georgia State (-1.5) @ Coastal Carolina - 6pm
UTA (-1) @ ULM - 6:30pm
Texas State @ Louisiana (-2) - 7pm
Little Rock @ South Alabama (-14.5) - 7pm

Conference Standings
1. App State 9-3
2. Troy 7-3
3. Arkansas State/Texas State 6-3
5. South Alabama 5-5
6. Louisiana/UTA 5-6
8. Coastal Carolina/Georgia Southenr 4-6
10. Georgia State 3-5
11. ULM 4-8
12. Little Rock 2-6

NET Rankings
132. South Alabama (-7)
143. Texas State (-3)
150. App State (+5)
151. Arkansas State (+1)
164. Troy (+1)
165. Coastal Carolina (-15)
184. Louisiana (-6)
222. Georgia Southern (-12)
229. UTA (-8)
231. Georgia State (+5)
268. ULM (+3)
317. Little Rock (-1)

Scouting Louisiana
Here's the preview from the game in San Marcos a couple weeks ago if anyone wants some insight into specific players:

This was a hard fought game in San Marcos a few weeks ago that TXST came from behind to win after trailing by 12 in the 2nd half. Cajundome is a tough place to win so we'll have to play much better for a full 40 minutes tonight. Bobcats opened as 1 point favorites yesterday, but are now 2-point dogs on the road. That gets to 2.5 before tip-off and I'm gonna take TXST (I bet against us far more than for us for the record). Expect a dogfight tonight.

TXST

Serious question, is App State's record a product of weaker competition? They play ULM, Little Rock, Louisiana like we do, but we didnt get to play Ga Southern and Ga State, who havent been great this year.

TXST

Is Caesar not available tonight? I don't see him on the bench and see Love playing.

TXST

Big shift in momentum when we brought in Love, Morgan, and Coleman. Good time for Love to step up. It's going to be important for Drinnon, Love, Dawson, and Morgan to produce since they'll most likely be the starters next year.

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
All of Louisiana’s commercials still refer to the school as Louisiana Lafayette. Seems like they didn’t prep well enough for the rebrand.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Is Caesar not available tonight? I don't see him on the bench and see Love playing.
Yeah he must be out. Martin picked up 2 early fouls then we went to Love, then when Love got tired our frontcourt was Small/Morgan. Not great vs. these big Louisiana centers.

All of Louisiana’s commercials still refer to the school as Louisiana Lafayette. Seems like they didn’t prep well enough for the rebrand.
They're still the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. They're just referred to as "Louisiana" athletically. Exact same as Texas, who technically is the University of Texas at Austin.

We scored 41 despite a 5 minute scoring drought. Asberry has 10, Small and Dawson have 8 each, Adams has 6.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Big W. Love Harrell taking over the second half. Been wanting to see more of that as he’s definitely capable

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
That's one of our best wins of the year. Harrell absolutely took over in the 2nd half. 20 points, 5 assists, 7/10 shooting, and perfect from the FT line. Especially huge since Drinnon struggled tonight. Asberry had 16 and Small had 15 and 7. Big 3 willed us to this win. Wonder what's up with Ceasar? Covid protocol maybe?

App and Troy both won tonight so we still don't make up any ground. Troy beat A-State though so we at least break the tie with them to take sole possession of 3rd. Absolutely need to beat ULM Saturday.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Love has the athletic ability but not the tenacity yet.
I’m excited about him. He’s not ready yet but he looks to have a little more size and athleticism than the previous 5s that have come through the program

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Agreed. He's got an inch on both Martin and Ceasar and he's blocked multiple shots in the last few games since he started getting some playing time. Pretty apparent after a few minutes though he needs plenty of development, but that's normal for a true freshman center. Life is easy in HS basketball when you're 6'9", not at the D1 college level though. His length excites me more than anything though. Good frame with long arms and seems to have decent athleticism as you say. If nothing else hopefully he can become a defensive force down the line and whatever offense we get out of him is icing.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Agreed. He's got an inch on both Martin and Ceasar and he's blocked multiple shots in the last few games since he started getting some playing time. Pretty apparent after a few minutes though he needs plenty of development, but that's normal for a true freshman center. Life is easy in HS basketball when you're 6'9", not at the D1 college level though. His length excites me more than anything though. Good frame with long arms and seems to have decent athleticism as you say. If nothing else hopefully he can become a defensive force down the line and whatever offense we get out of him is icing.
Just get ready for a senior Brandon Love with a junior Shawn Jones…anyway, really hoping we can win four of the last five. That would be 20 regular season wins, while having three canceled. That would be pretty impressive. Might be tough to catch App State down a game and a half with five to go, but could make it interesting.

Also, how about that dunk by Morgan in the second half. Thought he would be a bigger piece than he is coming into the season, but he’s shooting better than I thought and hopefully the switch is turning on for him. He was attacking tonight

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Also, how about that dunk by Morgan in the second half. Thought he would be a bigger piece than he is coming into the season, but he’s shooting better than I thought and hopefully the switch is turning on for him. He was attacking tonight
Yeah that got me off my couch.

Morgan seems like a developmental project like Love also. You can tell he's athletic, has a ton of confidence, and seems to be a decent enough shooter, but sometimes he makes mistakes that are really frustrating. He did a lot of good tonight but he also had 3 turnovers and 3 fouls. He should get better and better though and with Small gone after this year he'll likely be a big part of next season. One concern is he's really undersized if he's gonna keep playing the 4 at only 6'5" and we still haven't signed a forward for next year. I guess we just hope Lacewell is ready to go next year along with Morgan?

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Tha
that is because they are Louisiana Lafayette. *Only* the athletics department is allowed to be called Louisiana. This was part of the compromise allowing them to use that branding. Kind of like how when we became Texas state the short form is TXSt not TSU.