Game Thread - @ Troy - ESPN2

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
As February winds down, Friday night marks the final game of the regular season for your Sun Belt Champion Bobcats as they head to Troy to take on the Troy Trojans at 8pm in a nationally televised game on ESPN2.

Wednesday Schedule
ULM @ Georgia Southern (-3.5) - 6pm
Louisiana @ Georgia State (-6.5) - 6pm
Coastal Carolina (-8) @ Little Rock - 6:30pm
App State @ Arkansas State (-2) - 7pm
UTA @ South Alabama (-7.5) - 7pm
Texas State (-2) @ Troy - 8pm - ESPN2

Conference Standings
1. Texas State 11-3
2. App State 12-5
3. Troy 10-5
4. Georgia State 8-5
5. South Alabama 8-7
6/7. Arkansas State 7-7/Louisiana 8-8
8. Coastal Carolina 7-8
9. UTA 7-9
10. ULM 5-12
11. Georgia Southern 4-11
12. Little Rock 3-10
  • Since we know we're the 1 seed in the tournament already we know we'll play either the 8 or 9 seed in our first game of the tourney. As of now that would be Coastal or UTA but that could change depending on tonight's games. Coastal is a dangerous tourney team I think (#3 in NET) and UTA has beaten us once already. We're not gonna have any easy games in the tournament.
NET Rankings
123. Texas State (+8)
134. South Alabama (-1)
151. Coastal Carolina (+7)
163. App State (-4)
170. Troy (-)
174. Arkansas State (-7)
184. Georgia State (+1)
191. Louisiana (+10)
231. UTA (-3)
256. Georgia Southern (-11)
272. ULM (-)
320. Little Rock (-)

TXST News
  • As I hope you know by now, Texas State just clinched its 2nd consecutive Sun Belt regular season championship Wednesday night with a tough 55-52 win over South Alabama on the road. That gave the Bobcats their 20th win on the season for the 4th time in 6 years (and 3 of the last 4) and improved the conference record to 11-3 on the year.
  • Injury Update: Still without backup SG Dylan Dawson and reserve F Nate Lacewell. Still unsure what's holding them out and if/when to expect their return.
  • Texas State has had two separate 8 game winning streaks this year including the current 8 game streak. Last time the Bobcats have done that was the 1978-79 season. It's also the longest conference winning streak since that same year.
  • With 11 points at USA, PG Mason Harrell became the 23rd Bobcat in program history to score 1,000 career points.
Scouting Troy
Troy has put together a really nice season. Picked to finish in a tie for 9th in the preseason they were in the hunt for the championship the entire season and weren't officially eliminated until we clinched on Wednesday night. Since their win over us back on December 30th they've gone 9-5 and currently sit in 3rd place at 10-5 with a chance to get to 2nd with a win tonight paired with an App State loss.

From the late December game thread I highlighted these 3 players:
Troy was picked to tie for 9th in the SBC preseason poll. 6'6" Sr. F Nick Stampley was named a preseason all-conference 3rd team selection but isn't having a great year, only averaging 5.4 PPG and only making 5 starts through 13 games. 6'9" Jr. F Efe Odigie is the leading scorer at 10.2 PPG and could be an issue for us in the frontcourt. 5'8" Fr. G Duke Deen is having a great freshman year averaging 10 PPG and leading the team in assists. Should be a fun matchup between he and Harrell.
Last Meeting/Series History
TXST's first conference loss of the season came in San Marcos back on December 30th with Troy winning 78-63 in Strahan. The Bobcats were depleted due to Covid protocols and went on to cancel the next 3 games after the Troy game. Texas State played the game with just 8 players and were without Mason Harrell, Shelby Adams, Tyrel Morgan, and Drue Drinnon.

Overall Texas State is 8-5 vs. Troy and 3-2 in Troy. Troy has won the last 2 meetings however and we haven't beaten them since 2019.

Coverage/Betting Odds
As noted multiple times above this game will be nationally televised on ESPN2. Friday night isn't a huge night for college basketball so there should be a ton of eyeballs on us tonight. For anyone looking to watch college basketball tonight the only real options for late games (7-8pm) are Iowa @ Nebraska on FS1 and Texas State @ Troy on ESPN2. I'm sure we'll have some NCAA/NIT committee members watching tonight too so I feel its important we play well tonight. I admit I'm a bit worried about motivation however considering we have the championship and 1 seed for the SBC tourney already wrapped up.

Bobcats opened as 1.5 road favorites and that's currently sitting at 2 now.

Troy Message Board

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
I agree about the motivation aspect. That kinda makes me want to bet on Troy+2, so that means the opposite will happen.

Idk if I like us taking the pressure of a win streak into the tournament, but if it happens then great.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I’ll put this one here. Not sure it’s a new video as I don’t see it on the recent Bobcats YouTube page, but the university twitter just tweeted it out.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
With the game being on ESPN, our game gets a mention in one of their articles.

Texas State Bobcats at Troy Trojans, Feb. 25, 9 p.m. ET (ESPN2)
Coach Terrence Johnson took over at Texas State in 2020 under extremely difficult circumstances and has been nothing short of brilliant in the three seasons since. The reigning Sun Belt coach of the year wrapped up the Bobcats' second straight regular-season Sun Belt title Wednesday, with a win at South Alabama, their eighth in a row. Troy has a chance to sweep the season series after taking the first meeting between the teams in San Marcos, behind a season-high 22 points from Efe Odigie. The Trojans are a deep, balanced, veteran team who have bought into coach Scott Cross' system. Since the Sun Belt elected not to reschedule certain games lost to COVID-19, Troy can't share the title, but it can put the league on notice before the tournament in Pensacola. The kids will be taught a harsh life lesson Friday night: Dad barricaded himself inside the basement to catch this one. You'll be reading "Grumpy Monkey" by yourselves.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33353797/kc-mid-major-top-10-welcomes-back-belmont-plus-10-pivotal-mid-major-college-basketball-games

jimbobway

M&G Collective Member
I know we already won the Belt but a win on national TV to finish the season would be so nice

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
Didn’t like the foul call on Martin. The dude is stumbling and can’t hold onto the ball though.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Martin got jobbed. He hasn’t been particularly good, but he’s been much better than his norm.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Said the same thing to some buddies before catching up here. Guy just can't buy a call the last few weeks. Everything goes against him.

Asberry 4/4 from 3 and Shelby playing well to keep us in it. Been a physical, grinding game. We got to find a way to defend Odigie. He tore us up last time and is on pace to do so again if we don't defend him better.

29-25 Cats at the half in case anyone not watching.