Game Thread - Vs. Little Rock

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Final home game of the regular season Saturday afternoon in Strahan as TXST takes on Little Rock looking to maintain their lead in the Sun Belt.

Saturday Schedule
Georgia State (-4.5) @ Georgia Southern - 2pm
Arkansas State @ UTA (-2) - 2pm
Troy @ Coastal Carolina (-4.5) - 3pm
South Alabama (-1.5) @ Appalachian State - 3:30pm
Little Rock @ Texas State (-14) - 4pm
ULM @ Louisiana (-8) - 7pm

Troy is a 4.5 point dog at Coastal. Let's go Chants. Troy is just 1/2 game behind us in the standings.

Conference Standings
1. Texas State 9-3
2. Troy 9-4
3. App State 10-5
4. South Alabama 8-5
5. Georgia State 6-5
6. Arkansas State 6-6/UTA 7-7
8. Louisiana 6-8
9. Coastal Carolina 5-8
10. ULM 5-10
11. Georgia Southern 4-9
12. Little Rock 3-8

With everyone having just 3 games left its a 4 team race for the championship. Nobody 5th or below can mathematically win the regular season. Of note, we play 2 of the other 3 next week on the road. If we're gonna win another regular season championship we're gonna have to earn it.

NET Rankings
121. South Alabama (-)
134. Texas State (+3)
165. Troy (+7)
167. Coastal Carolina (-7)
174. Arkansas State (-9)
178. App State (-14)
191. Georgia State (+6)
202. Louisiana (+4)
226. UTA (+1)
237. Georgia Southern (-5)
274. ULM (-6)
319. Little Rock (-1)

TXST News
  • Texas State is coming off a solid 84-67 win over A-State Thursday night to improve to 18-6 overall and 9-3 in the SBC. The crowd of 5,388 was the 4th largest crowd in program history. Winning streak is up to 6 overall and 17 in the month of February.
  • Backup C Nighael Ceaser returned for the A-State game after missing the previous 2 I think in concussion protocol. Reserve F Nate Lacewell has missed the last 3 games.
Scouting Little Rock
Here's the writeup from last month that goes into some specific players to watch for Little Rock:

Of note concerning the players highlighted in that link is Marko Lukic entered the transfer portal and is no longer on the team. Also their best player Nikola Maric hasn't played in the last 5 games and doesn't sound like he's expected to play vs. us either. They played the entire game Thursday at UTA with just 7 players. Since our win over them last month they've gone 2-6 and have fallen to last place in the league. That said they beat 2nd-place Troy last Saturday in Troy so they are a team capable of pulling upsets against the top of the league.

Last Meeting/Series History
Texas State won the game in Little Rock on January 20th 69-59. We had 4 in double figures with Asberry leading the way with 19, Ceaser adding 12, and Harrell and Small both adding 10 apiece. Texas State leads the all-time series 12-9 and has won the last 6 games vs. the Trojans. This could be our last game vs. them in awhile unless we play them in the conference tournament as they are leaving the SBC after this year. Would be nice to send them off with a 7th straight loss.

Betting Odds
Bobcats are a 14-point favorite at home. I'm a bit worried about this being a trap game after a big win Thursday and a big road trip coming up. Hopefully we don't take Little Rock lightly.

Little Rock Message Board

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
My friend that usually accompanies me to Bobcat games is unavailable so I'm scrambling to find someone else to go with

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
Hoping the team doesn’t overlook the struggling LR Trojans. A little disappointed the athletics department didn’t attempt to build on the success of attendance turnout Thursday with this one. Especially since it’s on a weekend.

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
Texting with a fellow Bobcat ‘17 this morning, he brought up an interesting point that TXST has to be top five if not the top of teams with the most wins to not make the NCAA tourney over the last five years. Would be interesting to see if this is true.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
5 players honored during senior day:
Small and Adams of course but also Harrell, Asberry, and Jenkins. So guessing those guys aren't returning.

Ceaser, who's listed as a senior, wasn't one of them. So guessing he's opting to return.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Ceaser, who's listed as a senior, wasn't one of them. So guessing he's opting to return.
Did he get the start as well? I missed the first couple minutes but he’s got a bucket and an assist the last 2 times down the court.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
5 players honored during senior day:
Small and Adams of course but also Harrell, Asberry, and Jenkins. So guessing those guys aren't returning.

Was really hoping Harrell planned on using his extra year. I’ve thought Asberry could be a guy to “level up” in the portal. Dawson, Coleman and the signee all seem like SGs to me than PG, leaving only Drinnon. Hopefully he still plans to come back.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Did he get the start as well? I missed the first couple minutes but he’s got a bucket and an assist the last 2 times down the court.
Martin did his ubiquitous 2 fouls within the first 5 minutes then sit the rest of the half move. So Ceaser in early as usual but Martin started.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Ouch! Asberry got clipped in the face w/ a knee after pump faking the hell out of his defender. Back to the locker room.

Last edited: