Game Thread - Vs. Little Rock

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
App beat up on USA pretty good 69-51 in Boone. That eliminates USA for the regular season championship.

Comes down to TXST, App, and Troy for the title.

1. TXST 10-3
2. App 11-5
3. Troy 9-5

TXST is at USA and at Troy
App is at Little Rock and at Arkansas State
Troy is at home vs. UTA and Texas State

That TXST @ Troy game on ESPN2 next Friday night could be massive.
Then we'll need one of the next two to clinch.
11-4 would put us at .733
13-5 .722 - App's best possible finish
11-5 .688 - Troy's best possible finish

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
Mindset is everything. NIT is a consolation. Naismith Invitational Tournament might as well stand for “Not in THETournament”. Our team is really good and we should be focused on an NCAA bid. Anything less is short of the goal. Especially for a team that has experienced so much success over the years.

It’s our year to clinch this conference tournament and auto bid. Big D1 stuff.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
You can have multiple goals. And none of them are an NIT bid either for the record. It would just be a byproduct of reaching the first goal.

Goal 1: regular season championship, which would earn us at least an NIT bid (assuming NIT goes to regular format)
Goal 2: tournament championship, which would earn us an NCAA tourney bid
Goal 3: win an NCAA tournament game

One thing we can't do is get all happy and content with just reaching goal 1 though for sure. Or we'll end up like we did last year.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
I don't think anyone is saying the NIT should be the team goal, or something the team should be content on settling for... 🤷‍♂️The NIT probably wouldn't move the needle much for apathetic students and alums anyhow.

As long-suffering fans however, the NIT would be the biggest stage this program has played on in 25 years. (before any player on the current roster was born)
The program putting itself in a position to clinch a major tourney invite BEFORE the conference tournament plays out is something I think we as fans could be pleased with. (for the moment)

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
He's very quickly become my favorite coach on campus. His POV and demeanor is just so on point w/ what I believe a coach should be.

Congrats to Adams on getting married in the middle of a season, and asking TJ to move practice back so he wouldn't miss! Wow - what a week for him!

Last edited:

franslasttwinkie

I don't think anyone is saying the NIT should be the team goal, or something the team should be content on settling for... 🤷‍♂️The NIT probably wouldn't move the needle much for apathetic students and alums anyhow.

As long-suffering fans however, the NIT would be the biggest stage this program has played on in 25 years. (before any player on the current roster was born)
The program putting itself in a position to clinch a major tourney invite BEFORE the conference tournament plays out is something I think we as fans could be pleased with. (for the moment)
Very well said and on point. It's like having house chips before you arrive at the table. The question is if if we end up splitting the remaining games against USA/Troy which one do we want to win. Doesn't seem to matter much which one we win as long as we win one of them. Curious which game is the preferred win?

We accomplish a lot by splitting USA/Troy....we hit 20 regular season wins again....even with a very short season

TXST

For me, I'm wanting to see how we match up against USA more than Troy. Last outing with Troy we didn't have Harrell, Drinnon, Adams, or Morgan and I think it was a respectable outing so I think this time will be an entirely different outcome. USA has quite a few P5 transfers that could be tough matchups for us and could be a good test for the tournament if we're fortunate enough to make it.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
We’re 12-1 at home this year, but 5-5 away
Anyone know how that correlates w/ not only our covid sits vs the opponents? A lot has been made about the h/a disparity, but I'm curious how many of those games were between full rosters. @_x_ ? @stlwildcats ?

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
X might have the breakdown of players missing with his thorough previews.

Ultimately our scheduling assisted quite a bit in the big discrepancy. @Houston, @LSU, @Vandy (our only Quad 1 or 2 games) While no competent team came to Strahan. Coastal Carolina/App State (160/163 NET) are the two best teams that we hosted.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
USA is 12-1 at home just like we are. Troy is 9-2.

We're probably gonna be dogs in both these games I think, USA for sure. I'd like to think we can get one of them, but this is a tough week to end on. I think USA is the tougher matchup of the two, personally. Either way I don't see us going 2-0 this week. If we win vs. USA we'll inevitably let our guard down Friday vs. Troy I feel like unfortunately unless the prospect of a nationally televised game gets us up for it.

Don't have COVID stats off the top of my head and sounds like a lot of work to figure out....

Arolexion

USA is 12-1 at home just like we are. Troy is 9-2.

We're probably gonna be dogs in both these games I think, USA for sure. I'd like to think we can get one of them, but this is a tough week to end on. I think USA is the tougher matchup of the two, personally. Either way I don't see us going 2-0 this week. If we win vs. USA we'll inevitably let our guard down Friday vs. Troy I feel like unfortunately unless the prospect of a nationally televised game gets us up for it.

Don't have COVID stats off the top of my head and sounds like a lot of work to figure out....
Bit of superstition on my end, but I don't want us to go 2-0 this week. Ideally 1-1, get the reg season championship, and break our win streak in order to build a new one in the tourney :)

franslasttwinkie

Bit of superstition on my end, but I don't want us to go 2-0 this week. Ideally 1-1, get the reg season championship, and break our win streak in order to build a new one in the tourney :)
Exact thoughts....just feel like we have to tread way too lightly headed into tourney on a 9 streak..... that something will feel off