Men’s Sun Belt Tournament

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Fun first day. All close games. The four games were decided by a total of 17 points.

One interesting note is the four winners went 1-6 against the team they were playing in the regular season, and the two teams that lost both regular season matchups won today. Beating Louisiana a third time is going to be tough.

TXST

Fun first day. All close games. The four games were decided by a total of 17 points.

One interesting note is the four winners went 1-6 against the team they were playing in the regular season, and the two teams that lost both regular season matchups won today. Beating Louisiana a third time is going to be tough.
Yea, I wasn't stoked about having to play either team. Have to overcome these obstacles at some point.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
If you told me there'd be two upsets today I'd have expected it to be the other two games. So far my prognostications have been trash. Considering I had us going out in the semis maybe that's a good thing though.

Louisiana is definitely a tough draw. I think I'd have preferred UTA even though they've beaten us. The Cajun frontcourt of Brown and Akwuba worries me cause we just don't have the size to matchup. We were really lucky to beat them in San Marcos and were down 12 at one point in the 2nd half.

Also I'll be out of town all weekend starting tomorrow morning (not in Pensacola unfortunately) so I won't have individual game threads for each game. Figure we can just use this thread for the whole tournament. At this point we should all know the scenarios and our opponents pretty well. Previous game threads vs. each opponent usually will have opponent player breakdowns if anyone wants to go read those.

Updated bracket after the first round:
I'll update my final prediction to......
Georgia State over Texas State.
Gonna prepare for heartbreak.

slycat

With LR upsetting USA, we will likely play Troy if we can beat UL. Not thrilled to play Troy again. GSU is still my biggest concern and we didn't play them this year thanks to COVID so hard to tell how we match up.

vp98

With LR upsetting USA, we will likely play Troy if we can beat UL. Not thrilled to play Troy again. GSU is still my biggest concern and we didn't play them this year thanks to COVID so hard to tell how we match up.
If they play like they have since the loss to UTA I think they'll make it through. If they come out flat like they did last year against App State its on to the NIT. Coaching is also going to mean a lot in these games.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
We are playing the brand of basketball we want to be playing heading into the tournament. As nervous as all the teams make me we are hot at the right time. Our players have been coming out clutch when needed. I would even go as far to say as we have cleaned up some of the turnover issues and mental mistakes we made at the beginning of our 9-0 streak.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
OP updated but here’s what we got today.

#1 Texas State (-5) vs #8 Louisiana 11:30

#4 Troy (-8) vs #12 Little Rock 2:00

#3 Georgia State (-3.5) vs #6 Arkansas St 5:00

#2 App State (-5.5) vs #10 Georgia Southern 7:30

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Looks like we closed more at a 4 point favorite rather than 5, so some money on Louisiana late. Tip-off coming up

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Asberry with all five points. Up 5-4 after under 16 timeout. Small missed two at the rim and just shot one that hit the side of the backboard. Mason yet to shoot.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Up and down more during that segment with the bench in. Dawson in the game early and hits a 3. Ceaser layup from a nice pass from Asberry. Asberry with a bucket. Up 13-11 under 12 timeout but Louisiana will be at the line

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Starters back in. Mason misses his first shot. Adams nice turn around fadeaway. Adams is playing aggressive, unfortunately doesn’t look to have his shot today. Missed a few and now 2-4 from the line. Nate gets good position down low and makes a hook shot. Small can’t buy a bucket. Their coach gets T’d up and Mason makes both free throws. Up 20-14 under 8 TO and we’ll have the ball

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Small plays afraid. He's so afraid of contact. He just needs to give up the ball or take the contact.
lol - right as I read that he takes it strong to the hole and gets blocked. Agree that he should be more aggressive.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Now we just played awful that segment. Morgan awful shot then a turnover next possession. Small gets blocked. Asberry only makes one of three at the line after getting fouled on a 3. Mason gets his second foul and comes out. Ceaser misses a shot at the rim then can’t handle a pass next possession. Down 24-21 and they’ll have the ball U4 TO