Men’s Sun Belt Tournament

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Working from home and just turned the SB game on in the background. Figured I’d start a thread. All for X previews and TXST games getting their own thread.

Thursday games:

#8 Louisiana (-3.5) vs #9 UTA 11:30. ULL wins 67-64

#5 South Alabama (-12.5) vs #12 Little Rock 2:00. Little Rock wins 75-71

#6 Arkansas St (-6.5) vs #11 UL Monroe 5:00. Arkansas St wins 81-77

#7 Coastal Carolina (-5) vs #10 Georgia Southern 7:30. Georgia Southern wins 70-64

Saturday games:

#1 Texas State (-5) vs #8 Louisiana 11:30. Louisiana win 79-72

#4 Troy (-8) vs #12 Little Rock 2:00. Troy wins 69-62

#3 Georgia State (-3.5) vs #6 Arkansas St 5:00. Georgia State wins 65-62

#2 App State (-5.5) vs #10 Georgia Southern 7:30. App State wins 73-60

Sunday games:

#8 Louisiana (-2) vs #4 Troy 5:00. Louisiana wins 66-57

#3 Georgia State (-3.5) vs #2 App State 7:30. Georgia State wins 71-66

Championship Monday:

#8 Louisiana vs #3 Georgia State 6:00. Georgia State wins 80-71.

Georgia State Sun Belt Conference Champions

Personally like the format. Sun Belt used to do double byes and you see other tournaments do that. Wouldn’t mind keeping this moving forward and the 13/14 place teams not make the tournament, but will be interesting what the conference decides once it’s a 14 team conference.

Better seeds are all favorites opening day. We’ll see if there are any upsets. Louisiana currently putting it on UTA. Would help Bobcats resume slightly as Louisiana would be a Quad 3 game while UTA Quad 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: _x_

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Louisiana led wire to wire in game one but UTA came back from 13 with 2:30 left to get a shot off to tie it at the buzzer. Some gamblers are excited/furious

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Little Rock up 42-36 on South Alabama. Think SA still prevails but that would be a pretty big upset

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Little Rock up 42-36 on USA at halftime. 👀👀

I'll say the same thing I said when they were up on Troy in the 2nd half a few weeks ago hoping to be wrong again: no way they hold on to win this...

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Little Rock up 42-36 on USA at halftime. 👀👀

I'll say the same thing I said when they were up on Troy in the 2nd half a few weeks ago hoping to be wrong again: no way they hold on to win this...
Hopefully this is all the “luck” they need!

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I think this really boosts our odds of winning this tournament by a good 5-10 percent. I thought USA was our biggest threat on our side of the bracket and a legitimate threat to win the whole thing. This is a huge upset.

Quarterfinals set on our side of the bracket:
1 - Texas State
8 - Louisiana

4 - Troy
12 - Little Rock

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
I think this really boosts our odds of winning this tournament by a good 5-10 percent. I thought USA was our biggest threat on our side of the bracket and a legitimate threat to win the whole thing. This is a huge upset.

1 - Texas State
8 - Louisiana

4 - Troy
12 - Little Rock
Agreed. USA really gave us fits with their zone defense and their size. These opening games couldn’t have gone better. UTA also played us really well in our games with them.

TXST

1 - Texas State
8 - Louisiana

4 - Troy
12 - Little Rock
Agreed. Still feel like anyone could win it this year. Georgia State ending the year hot, App State has been consistent all year, and Troy is not an easy win. Have to get through Louisiana first though.

TXST

ULM putting up a fight, but not entirely sure I want ULM knocking out stAte. Think I'd prefer for stAte to battle against GaSt or knock them out.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Third game and third one going down to the last minute. Omier is a stud. I want Sun Belt to go up a tier in the conference pecking order, but would not mind if that guy “leveled up” in the portal this off-season.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Arkansas State pulls it out with a 15-5 run to win the game. I’m keeping the OP updated as results happen

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Yeah he's a load. Kid's from Nicaragua - who would have guessed?

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Georgia Southern led pretty much the whole game to pull the second upset of the day. I’ve learned they have the third oldest player in college basketball, a 26 year old. Also, Coastal Carolina’s coach is counting down to 900 wins and had stops at Clemson and Auburn. Assume he’s sticking around (at least) one more year to hit that milestone.