New Contract for Kinne

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Probably right for 7-5. It's lower than I expected, but 7-5 isn't quite good enough to justify a Traylor type contract.

If things keep improving though, we might need to look at raising it again.

Also, I don't want to use the Sun Belt as a measuring stick. The Sun Belt is pretty far behind the MWC and AAC in terms of average coaching salary. We, as a conference, need to be looking at raising our salaries to be competitive with those conferences if we want to keep increasing our perception.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Also, how did this Pete Thamel guy scoop literally all of us? He's a national reporter for ESPN. I wouldn't have thought he had any insider sources within our department or with Kinne's camp. Just thought that was weird.

slycat

So how buyout is $5m for now?

Getting closer to matching the top of the Belt but no where near the AAC. Then again they get more TV money and UTSA is putting all their money into football coaches and zero into facilities. They are lucky the city basically gave them a football stadium and they can focus expenses elsewhere.

Was hoping for at least 1.5m per year - if they really believe he’s the guy they should push the envelope. I’ll reserve some judgement though until we learn more about assistant pay.

franslasttwinkie

If buyout is still 50% of remaining, it'll be $2.5 million and decrease from here.
If the terms were the same as his last contract, then yes his buyout would be 2.5MM today. That would mean we would only get an extra 500K in buyout if he was poached today vs last December, not exactly earth shattering and doesn't really keep a lower P5 away. Unless they guaranteed $3.75MM (75% of his remaining contract) which by TXST standards would be a pretty good little buyout. The buyout for 75% guaranteed for $5MM contract would have come out the same for 50% guaranteed $7.5MM contract @ $1.5MM/year.

B

Bakertxst04

I like where we are at. $1M per year for five years is a 20% increase over his initial contract with an extra year tacked on. I can also appreciate that it's incentive-laden with increases to the BASE. Basically what Don and KD did was to use the increased revenue from higher attendance and bowl games to build his contract as we go, rather than dumping a whole truckload of money on his doorstep after one year.