New Contract for Kinne

TxSt1992

I'm 50/50 on this contract. On one hand I'm happy that he got a much-deserved raise and a good showing that we all appreciate his work. With that said, personally, I looked at a renegotiation as necessary to fulfill two other goals. 1. Keep Kinne in San Marcos for multiple years and 2. if and when GJ moves on, TXST gets a big fat check that we can use for our next coach. This contract achieves neither. A $2-3 million buyout is a pittance for any P5 program, and, after looking at Troy, even some AAC/MWC programs could potentially steal Kinne away. If we have the year I expect us to have in 2024, Kinne will get strong consideration from several other universities and not a single one will look at that buyout as a problem. It will also not cover our expenses in hiring another coach. With that said, I'm not privy to the inside runnings of the AD or the university at large. We did spend a ton of money this past year with plans to build more infrastructure in the near future. I just hope that we can keep Kinne for at least three more years. That should put us in a situation where higher ticket sales, donations, etc. could cover an even bigger contract down the road.

franslasttwinkie

I like where we are at. $1M per year for five years is a 20% increase over his initial contract with an extra year tacked on. I can also appreciate that it's incentive-laden with increases to the BASE.
Since we've established 7 wins as the goal to beat I think maybe a good strategy going forward if the goal is to keep him long term is to automatically have a new 5 year contract that kicks in with a new increase to his base salary for said % of wins above the previous year. For instance if he wins 8 games in 2024 give him a 15% raise and a new 5 year contract at $1.15MM. If he wins 9 games in 2024 then that's winning 30% more games than 7 so give him an automatic $300K increase to his $1MM base to put him at 1.3MM at the end of next season. He wins 10 then give him a 450K raise, etc.

carmanjello325

yeah for instance traylors last contract was only 25% guaranteed which is why his buyout wasnt gigantic. compare that against jimbo who was 100% guaranteed. enormous difference the terms make

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
I'd love to know the incentives. I bet its a good amount and GJ is fine with betting on himself

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member

Bobcat1

GolfCat

I really do think the G.J. is a genuine human being (contrary to what one specific poster would like you to believe) and remembers where he came from. With that said, I do think he is looking to stay in SM for a while and leave a legacy. Small town Texas guy who wants to do the best he can and bring a winning tradition to the football program while taking care of his immediate family, staff and players. Say what you will about some players not being "happy" and looking to move elsewhere. But, with 100+ different individuals as part of a program, you are not going to please each and every one of them. That is just human nature. In Kinne I trust.

Merry Christmas, Everyone!!! Now, let's go 1 for 1 in bowl games and get the legacy started.

Last edited by a moderator:

atxman

It would be nice to have a good coach who decides he and his family could be happy putting down roots in a town like San Marcos for $1 million a year (and more as his contract gets extended over time). I’m biased, but I gotta think it’s a nice place to raise kids. I don’t count on something so rare, but I suppose you never know. If Kinne can continue the progress from this year (and I think he will), I’d be happy even if we keep him just a couple more years.