New Head Coach: GJ Kinne

Professorbum

I don't know that DC's gig will be on the line anytime soon. If he and KD are really even just half as buddy buddy as is projected to the public eye I think Kinne has until his 3rd season to get 8 wins before DC gets shown the door. I'd like to be wrong about it and that DC's job really is at stake so that it keeps him putting pressure on football and basketball to get with it immediately.
I think Kinne doesn't get a third year if we don't get into a bowl in year one or year two. I'm guessing that DC and KD truly collaborated on this pick and therefore KD owns it with DC. Therefore, DC isn't fired just because Kinne doesn't work out. They both will go back to the drawing board at that point.

Bobkat34

I think Kinne doesn't get a third year if we don't get into a bowl in year one or year two. I'm guessing that DC and KD truly collaborated on this pick and therefore KD owns it with DC. Therefore, DC isn't fired just because Kinne doesn't work out. They both will go back to the drawing board at that point.
Way too early to know who will be fired but its on whom ever hired him including KD. We can't afford to fire guys making 800K in there 3rd year (Withers was not getting 800K). I'm sure that is why Jake wasn't fired until end of season to save money and only owe him 400k. May be in the contract. Considering how quickly they hired a coach, we couldn't wait for coaches to wait out a coach (again, maybe that is really why we moved on from Keeler/Morris if they wanted to low play us for other jobs).

Last edited:

Mpf43

The buyout was half of remaining money owed to spav, therefore the school would have saved money to fire him before the season’s end. The buyout is reduced but you paid more in salary

Professorbum

😂 😂 😂 😂
Bro, you got a lot to learn about this school....
I'm just going by the plain language of the president. I don't think he will patiently wait for a bowl into year 3. In any case, it won't matter. Kinne will get us into a bowl by year 2. Quite possibly year 1.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I'm just going by the plain language of the president. I don't think he will patiently wait for a bowl into year 3.
If he figures out a way to print money, then I could get on board with this thought process.

Professorbum

If he figures out a way to print money, then I could get on board with this thought process.
Well, if we get to R1, new money will be coming the university's way from Austin. That's not athletics money, but money that will help the bottom line nonetheless.

Also, he can elevate an assistant to interim fairly inexpensively. He made it clear that, at a minimum, he expects bowl eligibility to be achieved quickly. I think that's less than 3 years.

Like I said, it won't matter. I think Kinne will be successful. But as far as moves that KD will make in the future, my guess is as good as yours. You only have a 6 month head start on me as far as figuring the guy out.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Well, if we get to R1, new money will be coming the university's way from Austin. That's not athletics money, but money that will help the bottom line nonetheless.
Not only is that not athletics money, it's not something that's going to happen in the next 2 years. But sure, I look forward to the day when we can buy out $1.2M for an underperforming coach.

As far as making a bowl w/i the next 2 years...I'm cautiously optimistic, but perpetually skeptical. 30+yrs of being a Bobcat will do that to you.

Professorbum

Well, my last ridiculous prediction was that Kinne was going to be the hire. I know the math is fuzzy, but I'm calling it right now. Kinne doesn't get a 3rd year if we have two losing seasons.

franslasttwinkie

While I agree that there wasn't a single thing displayed in Spav's 1st or 2nd season that screamed he deserved a 3rd season or that things were going to be a lot better on the horizon but when you are a G5 you owe it to your coach to give them a 3rd season anyway regardless of what anyone thinks or the results. FIU taking us to OT in game 2 of Spav's 3rd season was all we needed to see to know that his welcome was overstayed and nothing was ever going to change.

Bobcat1

Well, my last ridiculous prediction was that Kinne was going to be the hire. I know the math is fuzzy, but I'm calling it right now. Kinne doesn't get a 3rd year if we have two losing seasons.
Depends what kind of losing seasons. If he goes 4-8, then 5-7 it would trend toward improvement.

If he goes 1-11 & 2-10 (very distinct possibility with the schedule & roster depletion this year), then I’d agree with you that DC would have to move quick.

I think he gets us to a bowl game by year one or year two at the latest though, if he doesn’t mess up the personnel decisions.