New Head Coach: GJ Kinne

Cardale’s tutor

M&G Gift Contributor
Really not my favorite pick. Disappointing hire for sure. Resume is short. Didn’t we try the “offense guru” thing? Look how it looked all 4 years… Pretty disappointed in DC and KD. If Morris was Spav 2.0 Kinne is Spav version 3.0 without as much experience. One year as OC at multiple stops, a good year off of Morris’s recruits at UIW. I’m just not seeing it… reaffirms why I didn’t renew season tickets.

If kinne and traylor walk into a living room, who is winning that recruit battle? Traylor 9 times our of 10. SMH… someone walk me off the ledge…

“Think Small, Be Small, Act Small, Be Texas State”
Saban and Kirby Smart weren’t available, I do not blame you for not renewing your season tickets.

Baseballnut

I understand people on here being skeptical because of our history. However, I will trust DC and KD and their judgement until I am proven otherwise. One reason for my trust is they did the work themselves. They didn’t lean on a damn search firm!! DC has made changes to four teams since he took over. Two of which were very mediocre programs. Yes coaches were announced that they “retired”. But it was time. 1 that the coach had some serious problems with the running of the team. Then replacing the football coach because the team didn’t win. We as the fan base need to get behind and support our new coach and the program. It does the program zero good to get on here and bitch, bitch, bitch! I, along with my group of fellow fans will have my ass in section 203 for every game I can get to San Marcos for just like I have since 1994

GO BOBCATS!!!!

Tone

Oh, I’ve no doubt we’ll give him a chance . . . . I mean, what choice do we have. But I also get the skepticism . . . .

I wanted Keeler, didn’t happen . . . OK . . . So, now we’ll roll with this guy.
My primary concern with him (Kinne) was that his resume wasn’t very deep. No evidence of being able to build, sustain a program . . . Precisely the problem Withers and SPAV had.

He looks impressive right now, 10-1. But winnin’ in The Southland, and winnin’ in The Belt are two different animals.

He’s our guy, we’ll support him, but until things actually change on the field for this program, I think some skepticism is to be expected . . .

. . ‘specially in light of our recent history.
Go back and look at what Willie Fritz did from SHSU to Georgia Southern. It can happen...

Artycat

M&G Collective Member
…. Underwhelming and disappointing hire. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt… but when Jackson state and Nevada beat the breaks off of us next year, im not going to be surprised
NEXT YEAR WILL BE HORRIFIC!!!! ZERO DOUBT!!! The entire non-conferance game slate is going to be murder....plus Baylor and UTSA....we'll be 0-4 going into conference play next year.

Sticky361

Not my absolute first choice but pretty excited for the hire. Polar opposite of Spav, not a stagnate offense and not afraid to take shots down field. I believe he will be a great recruiter within the high school ranks in Texas but will also be able to grab good portal players because of the explosive offense he runs. So much depends on who he brings in with him, hoping he fills a few spots with veteran coaches.

DrumCat

Go back and look at what Willie Fritz did from SHSU to Georgia Southern. It can happen...
Of course it *can* happen. Withers *could have* done it, Spav *could have* done it. They were both inexperienced, high risk high reward type hires.

Kinne isn't a carbon copy, but he's pretty damn close. Hasn't proven sustained success like Keeler, or shown turnaround potential like Morris. Kinne would be great if we were a school like App where the players and culture are already there and someone just needs to keep the ship moving in the right direction. I really hope that he knows what he's doing and didn't just get lucky for one year.

Bystander

View attachment 3907
View attachment 3908

Stop all that damn crying… Kinne is not Spav 2.0 or 3.0…
I don’t see it! You hired a guy with a 10-1 fcs record coaching a group that was built by Eric Morris. What’s credible about that? “Oh he will reestablish recruiting “ part of recruiting is also developing those recruits. Kinne has never been in one place longer than a year how did he develop anything? You missed the boat by not getting Morris the only guy that has taken a start up program ( which is way worse that TxSt) and makes a winner. If not Morris, Carthel but for sure not someone that’ll be offered more money by Tulsa and walks off. Just like he’s done when things got hard in high school and college. Oh definitely not coach buffet, there sure has to be some reason he leaves Commerce ( probably cause he ran out of Carthel recruits. Only my opinion

Bobcat1

NEXT YEAR WILL BE HORRIFIC!!!! ZERO DOUBT!!! The entire non-conferance game slate is going to be murder....plus Baylor and UTSA....we'll be 0-4 going into conference play next year.
With Spav & Hatcher back, I’d agree with you. Now I’m in the wait and see camp to see what kind of recruiting we do.

Tone

Sure it can, but you can also argue that Fritz went from one winner to another.

We ain’t Ga. Southern.

Don’t get me wrong, I wish him well. I wanna see us win like everyone else. But until it happens . . . …

sign me

Cautiously Optimistic

View attachment 3909
What about his next stint at Tulane? I’m being optimistic here.

DrumCat

All I remember when Spav was hired was WVU, CAL, ATM fans telling us how much we screwed up by hiring a coach that runs screens/ swing passes 70% of the time.
Of course that's what you remember now that Spav's tenure is in the rear view, just like everyone only remembers JMU fans being happy that we hired Withers away. I remember the day we hired Spav it was huge, considered the home run hire, the "holy crap TXST pulled it off," etc etc.

Not calling you out by the way, just saying that this feels like Groundhog Day.

Artycat

M&G Collective Member
With Spav & Hatcher back, I’d agree with you. Now I’m in the wait and see camp to see what kind of recruiting we do.
None that will affect next years debacle...what's left of the team at this point, it's bad. Next year will be a roster of mix and match transfer portal players with no cohesion.