State of Texas Student Athlete NIL bill

bigred24

Where? I'm scrolling their twitter and all I see is UT guys.
Let me try to find it. It was someone quote tweeting one of their posts saying they were going to be looking at players at Texas State and Texas Tech since they have licenses with both. It looked to be from a reporter but I was scrolling quickly. Let me look and ill post if I find it.

franslasttwinkie

I'd assume we are just waiting around for Sept 1 to roll around in order for Larry to finally dissolve his AD dir duties whatever those were and start operating as a competent athletic department

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Given the crazy difference in their numbers between platforms, I'd bet anything they bought a ton of twitter follows.

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Good article

does this amount to simply boosters paying for recruits? For instance, can I promise Daishon Folsom a marketing deal in return for his signature? The next two years will be interesting.

bigred24

Good article

does this amount to simply boosters paying for recruits? For instance, can I promise Daishon Folsom a marketing deal in return for his signature? The next two years will be interesting.
I don’t think boosters are allowed to. I’m sure it’s going to happen though

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I don’t think boosters are allowed to. I’m sure it’s going to happen though
Booster is very broadly defined. Almost everyone who buys season tix at TXST is a “booster”. Will doing business with “boosters” be disqualifying? I know rules are being sorted out but this is the most interesting and easily exploited.

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Pat Clynes signing up UTSA athletes, so no restrictions on boosters that I can see.

Bobcat1

I saw that Last Stands Hat were planning to reach out to some TXST players like they are with UT players.
I’ve had a few meetings with the owner (very smart guy, has great vision for business) the past few months, really sold him on the idea that TxSt would be a great partner with Spav at the helm (he was surprised to learn we have over 90K alumnus in the Austin/San Antonio corridor). Even helped design a few of their merch offerings. He’s definitely interested in the potential TxSt has, so our athletes will definitely benefit.

Here’s hoping Spav doesn’t make me look like a fool. 😅🤞🏼🤞🏼

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Some things I've learned over the weekend about NIL, some specific to the TX NIL bill, some from the NCAA. I'm not a lawyer, and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I'm just going off of what I'm seeing lawyers on other sites are posting.

NCAA:
TXST can't suggest to recruits who they may be able to work with if they enroll here.

Texas:
TXST athletes can't work with anyone who is a sponsor/partner of TXST. So, nothing from Adidas or HEB or Gumby's.
Athletes may not be compensated by companies that sell tobacco, alcohol, firearms or are sexually oriented.

Can't recall which on covers this:
TXST can't match up businesses w/ athletes - they are on their own there.

In the words of BK34: Wild, wild, west.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Some things I've learned over the weekend about NIL, some specific to the TX NIL bill, some from the NCAA. I'm not a lawyer, and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I'm just going off of what I'm seeing lawyers on other sites are posting.

NCAA:
TXST can't suggest to recruits who they may be able to work with if they enroll here.

Texas:
TXST athletes can't work with anyone who is a sponsor/partner of TXST. So, nothing from Adidas or HEB or Gumby's.
Athletes may not be compensated by companies that sell tobacco, alcohol, firearms or are sexually oriented.

Can't recall which on covers this:
TXST can't match up businesses w/ athletes - they are on their own there.

In the words of BK34: Wild, wild, west.
I feel like there will be a 1st amendment challenge to limiting what they can't endorse.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Spectrum News Austin w/ a piece on NIL w/ Trevis Graham and Janell Fitzgerald tonight. Not up on their site just yet but I'll post when it is.