State of Texas Student Athlete NIL bill

Bobcat1

Seems just as legit as Taxi designing Last Stand Hats.
It burns you deep down that I have better access to info that you do with your keyboard, doesn’t it. 😏😏 😎😎 And yes, I did help the owner brainstorm some original designs back in April, until then he wasn’t looking TxSt’s way much. He was busy with Tech, UT, TCU,etc etc etc licensing agreements.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Chatting up your Uber passengers isn't "having meetings", Taxi.

Bobcat1

Chatting up your Uber passengers isn't "having meetings", Taxi.

Yeah, four meetings of 1-3 hrs each....those are some long rides. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Keep digging yourself a hole on how petty and ignorant you're coming across, although most people on here already know that about you.

TXSTHockeyGuy44

M&G Collective Member
Sure, this won't change anything. Schools and their alumni won't just outright buy players.

Surely it's just coincidence, but Oregon landed 4 commits this weekend. 3 from TX, including a 5* that absolutely no one had them in contention for.
At the end of the day, can’t blame the kids for choosing to help secure their future a little earlier with or without a shot at the NFL. Smart for a kid to sign a six figure memorabilia deal with Nike out of high school if it’s on the table. But yes, it is now the wild, Wild West. I think our days of being able to snag players with P5 interest may well be over unless we can convince those recruits of the benefits of the big fish/little pond scenario.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Definitely can't blame the kids at all.
I think our days of being able to snag players with P5 interest may well be over unless we can convince those recruits of the benefits of the big fish/little pond scenario.
That's the thing though - If a school can pull off a blanket deal like Miami has in the works, and players 66-85 can pocket more money sitting on the bench than they can starting at a G5, then NIL will have effectively sucked all the talent to the highest tier, and greatly affected the competitive balance overall.

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
We’re going to have to ante up. Otherwise,
I see lots of transfers for those that can.

geezer

I knew this would be the result of paying above the table.
Kids obviously don't value that high dollar scholarship they are receiving.
Sucks to be a kid that just wants to learn and be able to get a job--gotta pay high tuition to pay for all this entertainment!

TheRevSWT

I wonder how long its gonna take for calls for a reversal?
Who in their right mind is going to call for a reversal? It'd be a PR nightmare. To me, this is one of those pandora's box issues. Nobody can now argue that the kids don't deserve to be paid for their services without incurring the wrath of the PC mob.

This is simply a cultural shift in society today, where the value of an education is secondary for these kids. Even for the kids that are after the education... why bother going to a G5 school at all, when I can get my education AND get paid as the fourth string player on... Texas Tech's bench?

It was a horrible move to allow this, but now that it's out, I don't see it going back. The BEST you could hope for is for the G5 to revisit the profit sharing they get from the NCAA to get a bigger slice of the pie. I don't know how that will work out though, as the university teams are now officially semi-pro.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Who in their right mind is going to call for a reversal? It'd be a PR nightmare. To me, this is one of those pandora's box issues. Nobody can now argue that the kids don't deserve to be paid for their services without incurring the wrath of the PC mob.

This is simply a cultural shift in society today, where the value of an education is secondary for these kids. Even for the kids that are after the education... why bother going to a G5 school at all, when I can get my education AND get paid as the fourth string player on... Texas Tech's bench?

It was a horrible move to allow this, but now that it's out, I don't see it going back. The BEST you could hope for is for the G5 to revisit the profit sharing they get from the NCAA to get a bigger slice of the pie. I don't know how that will work out though, as the university teams are now officially semi-pro.
Stephen A Smith lol. I agree its gonna be impossible to put this geniw back in the bottle.

bigred24

I think the first few years will be crazy but it will even out. Eventually companies will stop paying big money to everyone and it will shift to focus on the stars. People won’t spend lots of money on players that are trash and not doing anything. That’s my thoughts at least. Like for the Miami thing. I doubt after $500,000 for 3 years in a row and they sponsor tons of kids that aren’t seeing the field and providing them anything it goes down. Who knows tho. TXST ha some
Big time alumn. Time for
Businesses to step up. They need a department that helps the kids out with their endorsements and are actively talking about it on social media like the big time schools are. It’s been pretty quiet so far

slycat

Good for these kids. Get paid for your value. NCAA and schools made millions while they were pushed to get easy degrees and marred with injuries. Sure a 3rd stringer might make a little over his "value" but it is the value that the market is setting. As others said, now is the time to get paid before the market evens back out and the offers aren't as good. Though the top recruits will always get paid, but then they earned it.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
NCAA and schools made millions
The NCAA and schools also provide a platform for these kids to even exist, let alone flourish. I hate that the narrative is that the players have been taken advantage of, when the vast majority of FBS, and certainly P5, players would never have been able to step foot on a campus like that without sports. They have had their education, room and board paid for, with tons of perks on top - especially the good ones. They get to play and train in the best facilities, with incredibly specialized training and coaching designed to give them the best opportunity to play a game for a living at the next level. They are pampered, tutored and looked after in exchange for their efforts. A mediocre player with no chance at playing professionally, who goes to a decent school can leverage those 5 years into a degree they had no business being in line for, with no debt, and a lifetime of business connections.