State of Texas Student Athlete NIL bill

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
I suspect that legally it's separate, but functionally part. Hard to argue it isn't part of the university all evidence shows it is.

View attachment 4392

View attachment 4388

View attachment 4389

View attachment 4390

View attachment 4393
I hate to ever defend atm but LSU has the Tiger Athletic Foundation which separately bankrolls athletics in many ways and Clempsin has had IPTAY since the thirties.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
OK - now google LSU football schedule or roster and see if that directs you to the Tiger Foundation. Can you buy season tickets to LSU football through the Tiger Foundation? No - but even that org is probably too close to the school to be dealing w/ NIL like that.

The bottom line is that NIL donations can't give the donor benefits in that manner. aTm has fumblefucked their way through NIL from the beginning and I suspect that they will reverse course on this vs going head to head w/ the NCAA when you know damn well the NCAA is dying for a win vs a major program after being neutered the better part of the past 20yrs. If you're going to make it easy on them, like Miami did w/ the Cavinder twins, they're going to take their win.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
OK - now google LSU football schedule or roster and see if that directs you to the Tiger Foundation. Can you buy season tickets to LSU football through the Tiger Foundation? No - but even that org is probably too close to the school to be dealing w/ NIL like that.

The bottom line is that NIL donations can't give the donor benefits in that manner. aTm has fumblefucked their way through NIL from the beginning and I suspect that they will reverse course on this vs going head to head w/ the NCAA when you know damn well the NCAA is dying for a win vs a major program after being neutered the better part of the past 20yrs. If you're going to make it easy on them, like Miami did w/ the Cavinder twins, they're going to take their win.
Approximately 45,000 football season tickets require a contribution to LSU’s Tradition Fund for the right to purchase those tickets. Invoices for the Tradition Fund Contribution are mailed in January of each year. Tradition Fund Contributions are billed with season ticket renewal invoices in January each year and are usually due by March 1.

Interested in purchasing new season tickets? Call (225) 578-0100 now or sign up below

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Texas legislature set to send transformative NIL bill to governor

The biggest point of this bill is that schools would be able to deliver NIL directly to the athlete, which would eliminate a lot of the pussyfooting and tap dancing that exists today. It would also allow 3rd parties to provide benefits - like what aTm was trying to do.
aTm probably paid off legislators to push this through so they can break out the ATM.

Can we just raise student fees to fund our currently dry NIL well?

TxSt1992

Good article. Dilfer made a great point. Although I do think that NIL will still make a difference in attracting top nothing talent vs other G5 schools. G5 coaches may have to look at JUCOs and develop some of their Strategies although there are some moral dilemas by going that route.

CFOPhiCat

Businesses that pay student athletes to appear in print, radio and tv ads directly would still be able to deduct those expenses. It is funding a created 501(c)3 for the purpose of NIL that the IRS had an issue with. The athletes paid directly however, will incur taxable income. The IRS will get their 20-25%.