Thoughts on potential candidates to replace Jake Spavital

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
We need to wait on the new Pres to hire the new AD to hire the new coach.
So we can delay it at least another couple years? Heck, at this rate we can hire and fire a new coach in the time it will take for the new president to get brought in, pick their AD, and the AD to pick their coach. No reason to wait that long to make changes that need to be happening now.

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
Im not entirely sure I think JSpav needs to go, but some things need to change. I do agree Zspav needs to go. We went from a strong defensive team with an inability to score points and completely flipped it.
We didn't even flip it. We now have a weak defense and still have an inability to score points.

TXST

We didn't even flip it. We now have a weak defense and still have an inability to score points.
We are scoring more than we did in the Withers seasons correct? I'm not saying we have a high powered offense, but weren't the scores of the games along the lines of 7 - 10 in the Withers term?

JustinS09

Administrator
Staff member
We are scoring more than we did in the Withers seasons correct? I'm not saying we have a high powered offense, but weren't the scores of the games along the lines of 7 - 10 in the Withers term?
Here's our average points per game.

Withers
Season 1 - 18.6
Season 2 - 17.25
Season 3 - 19.75

Spavital
Season 1 - 18.4
Season 2 - 27.67
Season 3 thru 4 - 24.5

So yes, we're scoring more than with Withers for 2 out of 3 seasons so far, but not by much.

TXST

Here's our average points per game.

Withers
Season 1 - 18.6
Season 2 - 17.25
Season 3 - 19.75

Spavital
Season 1 - 18.4
Season 2 - 27.67
Season 3 thru 4 - 24.5

So yes, we're scoring more than with Withers for 2 out of 3 seasons so far, but not by much.
Fair enough. Appreciate you doing due diligence in the stats, cause I did not.

KatyStationed

M&G Gift Contributor
Didn’t Herman have a weird affinity for Texas State too? The guy could open-mouth kiss each fan before they entered the stadium for all I care. He always seemed to do well in underdog roles, and there’s no bigger underdog role than Texas State.

I think I’m leaning toward head coach experience. If you look at Spavital, the way he carries himself on the sidelines just strikes me as juvenile, coordinatorish if you will. Silly chest bumps and all that shit (which, I get it, Herman had a similar stable of shenanigans). Meanwhile, EMU’s coach looked like he was going to tell you that he doesn’t always drink beer…

But maybe I’m just looking at things through pissed off colored glasses.

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
Not to put fuel on the fire, but ULM is playing well against Troy early in the game. We might not have any favored sunbelt matchup.