Tier 1

Someone

UTA has a lot of transfer ins when they come back home to Mama from their national school. USnooze knows that and that results in a lower ranking.
I do not think that transfers in are a part of the rankings or they were not the last time I looked at the methodology

there is the part that is "peer reputation" and also "high school counselor ranking" and I would believe that transfers might play a part in those being lower....I am actually not sure the high school counselor is still included either, but I think it is......they have adjusted their scoring methods so many times now and they use such nonsense they are hardly academic rankings now they are more (inferred) social mobility rankings with out a great deal of proof that the social mobility that US Snooze is pushing actually has meaning.....and of course the remaining factors are still such that the same top universities stay where they are and there is little that can challenge that.....in spite of the fact that the same publications will often go after those universities in other articles (usually using false info and pure nonsense) to try and claim they are too exclusionary

UTA more than about any of the emerging research universities in Texas needs a massive fund raising campaign and I am surprised the UT System has not pushed them into one, but you need stability at the presidents position first

UTD has grown their endowment massively over the last 10 years and even UTSA has put distance on UTA and UTEP has been around long enough and has had enough money from the past that they are still well ahead of UTA and UTSA in endowment in spite of their horrible long term president that is finally gone and her dreams of a 4 year community college for all of El Paso to walk into with "can breath" as an admissions standard

I am not sure Texas State can make the highest Carnegie Classification in the next ones because of the lack of doctoral degree production....in the past that was not a factor, but in their quest to allow everyone to be "tier 1" or "R1" and probably as a poke in the eye to universities that have (falsely) used that as a ranking they started looking at doctoral production as well as research dollars and the end result was a lot of schools with soft and social sciences doctoral production with little research dollars behind it being classified as "R1"

vp98

I remember seeing that a high number of transfer-ins lowers your "ranking." I'll look for that and get back with you. I see that UTA's endowment is $218 Million and that is close to what ours is. It is a larger school and has had PhD's since the 1960's but student engagement there is low. That is a function of the demographics of their student body and the layout of Arlington. The campus is rather nice once you get on it. They do have major STEM programs and that is why they are R1 Tier 1. At my graduation from UTA in 2013 they awarded about 20 PhD's where at my Nieces' graduation from Texas State in 2018 they awarded 4.

Someone

I remember seeing that a high number of transfer-ins lowers your "ranking." I'll look for that and get back with you. I see that UTA's endowment is $218 Million and that is close to what ours is. It is a larger school and has had PhD's since the 1960's but student engagement there is low. That is a function of the demographics of their student body and the layout of Arlington. The campus is rather nice once you get on it. They do have major STEM programs and that is why they are R1 Tier 1. At my graduation from UTA in 2013 they awarded about 20 PhD's where at my Nieces' graduation from Texas State in 2018 they awarded 4.
these are the methods for the overall university rankings

A&M plays the game with "Blinn Team" and now other transfer agreements with community colleges......they move the ones with the lower SAT/ACT scores and a lower class rank onto Blinn or the other programs and 30 or 45 or 60 hours later they transfer in and never make a mark on freshman metrics

I think you mean 200 doctoral degrees at that time for UTA (typo I am sure)

TxState was 37 PhDs awarded (specifically says PhDs) in 2021 and 47 in 2022 and probably some other Doctoral (EdD ect) in addition to those)

203 and 228 PhDs was UTA in 2019 and 2020 the last years they were in the NRUF report before qualifying for the funding and no longer being reported on

their endowment is $203 (not impressive)

the UTD number has been climbing fast and is getting close to impressive especially for the age of the school, the small enrollment for a long time (growing rapidly now as well) and when you consider that amount for the still lower number of overall students

the Carnegie are not rankings no matter what people think, but Texas State is not "R1" simply because of the low number of doctoral graduates (something that used to be much less of a factor)......but the federal R&D and the restricted research (as defined by The State of Texas) is a more impressive metric especially for the low number of doctoral graduates......the world simply does not need more soft and social science doctoral graduates or yet another person with a thesis offering a new reinterpretation of Huck Fin from the standpoint of someone with 13 genders and 84 races....or perhaps the profound meaning of the "hard ER vs the soft a" when using a racial term......or "do girls really just want to have fun or was 80s music all wrong and girls want to be STEM majors and cos play dorks" (no offense to cos play dorks other than you are not trying to hook up with the cos play girls)

vp98

I think you mean 200 doctoral degrees at that time for UTA (typo I am sure)
Just like Texas State, UTA has several graduation sessions and my session at UTA awarded 20 where my niece's at Texas State awarded 4. It was obvious after attending both graduations that UTA awards substantially more PhD's than Texas State.

Last edited:

Someone

Just like Texas State, UTA has several graduation sessions and my session at UTA awarded 20 where my niece's at Texas State awarded 4. It was obvious after attending both graduations that UTA awards substantially more PhD's than Texas State.
ah I misunderstood what you said I was not looking at it in terms of one graduation event....thanks for the clarification

franslasttwinkie

Either KD’s vampire bat emoji means he was just up late tweeting or possibly the awful Tuesday, 10/29 ULL scheduling is getting pushed back to a more favorable midweek slot on 10/31 Halloween.

That likely wouldn’t be of interest to a JCK guy like Ray though. I could see how conference realignment would be of interest to VP of enrollment but the doors closed there as we know.

Bobcats2011

M&G Collective Member

do kids who meet the minimum requirements to remain at acc without flunking out really face any chance of not getting accepted into texas state as it already was? id be curious why a third of people at acc cant find a 4 yr program. isnt this supposed to be a good school as far as ccs go?
Sounds like a way to grow enrollment. Wouldn’t mind seeing them do something similar with the string of SA community colleges