USM, ODU, Marshall and James Madison may play in SBC next year

vp98

Would we need to add a women's sport to add a men's soccer team? Maybe women's gymnastics would be a good possibility.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
If we were going to add a women's sport, I've always thought equestrian would make the most sense. It doesn't utilize facilities in town and would have to be some local land owner donating the space. It fits w/ our ag program and we have (or at least had) a huge rural student population, many w/ deep pockets (big fish, small pond families). It is also the 2nd biggest scholarship allocation of women's sports we could potentially add - only rowing (20) and ice hockey (18) have more than equestrian (15).

It doesn't matter - we aren't adding any sports any time soon.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Would we need to add a women's sport to add a men's soccer team? Maybe women's gymnastics would be a good possibility.
Pretty sure Coryell said in Keff’s interview that if anything was added it would be a women’s sport. All the soccer teams are in the East, so doubt there’s much incentive to get it going unless other programs start to do so first.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Why would we need better seating for soccer? West Campus fields have a great setup and plenty of seating for soccer.

Sand VB is only 6 ships (vs 9.9 for M Soccer) and my understanding is that the OG was dead set against Sand VB ever being added.

slycat

Why would we need better seating for soccer? West Campus fields have a great setup and plenty of seating for soccer.

Sand VB is only 6 ships (vs 9.9 for M Soccer) and my understanding is that the OG was dead set against Sand VB ever being added.
It seats 500. Which is probably good to start. If a good team was put together you could get a lot more. You would have teams like Kentucky, WVU, and South Carolina in the conference plus Marshall who recently won the title. I would hope to pull at least 1000 but maybe I am too optimistic.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
It seats 500. Which is probably good to start. If a good team was put together you could get a lot more. You would have teams like Kentucky, WVU, and South Carolina in the conference plus Marshall who recently won the title. I would hope to pull at least 1000 but maybe I am too optimistic.
I think 1000 would be very optimistic. A quick google pulled the 2018 NCAA report, which shows 1000+ for only the top 31 teams and it drops quickly after that - at 50, Army avgd 637. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see that venue get better/more seating, but the idea that we'd add a sport and it would immediately be a top flight program simply doesn't fit w/ our athletic department. However, if I was going to upgrade that venue, I'd start with locker rooms, showers, coaches offices first. It's a joke that we have multiple venues on campus without those.

For ref: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_soccer_RB/2019/2018attendance.pdf

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
i have never watched a soccer game in my life?
College soccer wouldn't be where you'd want to start. I can't imagine watching anything outside of the Final 4. Much like tennis, the best players in that sport are in the pros.

LSU Bobcat

After getting to watch SEC gymnastics for several years i've come away very surprised no Texas university competes in gymnastics, or at least none i'm aware of. It's a very entertaining sport and requires little additional space.

vp98

After getting to watch SEC gymnastics for several years i've come away very surprised no Texas university competes in gymnastics, or at least none i'm aware of. It's a very entertaining sport and requires little additional space.
Texas Women's University has a gymnastics team.

Last edited: