wk8: vs Southern Miss

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
I thought I'd drop a link here to my volleyball photos from the weekend. They're free to download if anyone here or anyone lurking wants them.
Keep in mind I'm new to sports photography, even newer to volleyball. It's just something fun I've been doing in my free time while I finish up my degree. :cool:

Friday
Saturday

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Some really good shots there @Josh ! 16 and 48 from the 1st set and 37 and 72 from the second are probably my favorites, as well as the sequences towards the end of set 2 w/ Janell and Lauren.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
Some really good shots there @Josh ! 16 and 48 from the 1st set and 37 and 72 from the second are probably my favorites, as well as the sequences towards the end of set 2 w/ Janell and Lauren.
I appreciate that!

I'm obviously still learning what constitutes a great volleyball photo. Digs and blocks are a little more self-explanatory but when it comes to a spike, I'm never sure whether to lean more toward the windup, the ball contact or the follow thru.

Strahan's lighting doesn't help much. For the most part I've been forced to shoot with the widest aperture I have to freeze the action, but that obviously limits the depth of field (area of the photo in focus). It makes for nice bokeh sometimes, but often the ball or other players end up out of focus when you'd rather they weren't. I'm learning though and getting better each time out, I think.

I'm really hoping this leads to some great men's and women's basketball shots this winter. That's more my speed.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Thought you caught the moment of impact pretty well several times, you just didn't have the angle for it to be a really cool shot. My guess would be to try and be in a high corner opposite our side to get them swinging at you. Something like this?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
M&G Collective Member
That's not a bad idea.

The last couple of games I experimented with going a couple rows into the stands behind the endline. I liked the results when I wasn't shooting through the cheerleaders. I might try going further up/toward the attack line like that next time.