Mahdi to 1,500…

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
I will take that.

Nor did he play against big 10 defenses.
Ah yes the vaunted big ten. Which a majority of SBC teams could’ve competed at a higher level in this year. I’m sure Purdue or Indiana would’ve bottled us right up just because of their names.

Colt Golden

We literally beat a P5 this very year.
No we embarrassed em. Caught em at the right time fo sure.

Went looking for some grades to prove my point, but found we played some real salty run defenses. Big 10 has big time run D's as well.

James Maddison and Old Dominion were top 10 grades when looking at Run Defense. Troy was #1 and Iowa #2. Marshall and S Alabama were top 30. So were Penn St. and Indiana.

I will have to look some more to see if the overall numbers dlrefute what I thought was a logical conclusion.

Last edited:

Colt Golden

To validate ya'lls point about Mahdi.

We were graded just in the top 50 of run offenses, while barely making the top 100 in a run blocking grade. That tells you our guys (Mahdi) did an exceptional job of finding their own space.

Colt Golden

This board has me confused. Am I to be excited about us having a great player? Or shall I diminish his success to revel in our past disappointments to be eternally unhappy with the team of our university?

Mid-Mahdi strikes again.
Don't be premature in your "one of the best in the country" statements. Be excited all you won't about Mahdi who has had the best season of a Bobcat RB in the FBS, but to state he is"one of the best" when he is closer to the 91th best RB in the country 58th in FBS.

Makes me question your football IQ. Cooly, Vidal, Gore, and Webb are all better backs. Hell Oregon has two guys better and so would a slew of P5 teams if they were used conjunctively.

Last edited:

Colt Golden

Ish Mahdi is the bast back in the country WHO WAS ALSO ALLOWED TO RETURN KICKS.
Says the guy who can't make a statement without checking with PFF first.
I do like PFF, but football was my main passion for over 20 years of my life. Saw, played, coached, and lived football.

Last edited:

atxman

I don’t understand what folks are arguing about here. Mahdi ‘s rushing total is tied for 14th among hundreds of FBS running backs. Sure seems legit that some folks would think that qualifies as one of the best in the country. I’m not saying he is or isn’t. “One of the best” is a fairly subjective thing. There’s nothing right or wrong about it. But objectively, his rushing yards suggest he’s up there.

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
Don't be premature in your "one of the best in the country" statements. Be excited all you won't about Mahdi who has had the best season of a Bobcat RB in the FBS, but to state he is"one of the best" when he is closer to the 91th best RB in the country 58th in FBS.

Makes me question your football IQ. Cooly, Vidal, Gore, and Webb are all better backs. Hell Oregon has two guys better and so would a slew of P5 teams if they were used conjunctively.
My football IQ says he finds a way to make positive yardage and find the end zone. Makes him one of the best. Considering he made positive yardage and found the end zone more than MOST, in the country. The stats support the statement. They did when I initially made it, they do today, they will next year. Dude is a gem that fell to us. Appreciate him.

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
Three times the last seven games, when we faced better competition and went 3-4.

Three.

Even the coaches didn’t trust his ability in the redzone down the stretch.
You have no clue about the trust of the coaching staff. I would venture to say none of us do. It’s all from the outside looking in. Mahdi is one of the best. Just accept it and enjoy it. Not hard to do.

Colt Golden

Appreciate him.
Never said I didn't. But if you don't realize that there are over 30 dudes that carry the rock better than him than we agree to disagree on his talent level.

Definately has done things on the field that I haven't seen from a Bobcat. Look forward watching him do tremendous things for us.

I'm done. You can now have the last word.

Bobcat1

Mahdi is one of the best.
There you go again, but then later on you’ll be saying you never said that. He’s third in our conference in yards and fourth in our conference in TDs. He wasn’t in the semifinal or final list of the Doak Walker. He was EFFICIENT with his carries, but he wasn’t even the best in our CONFERENCE, let alone the ENTIRE nation.

Does he have a bright future? Yes, if he stays at TXST and in the current system with the current head coach, OC, and cakewalk opponents half the season. If he were to leave, doubt he’d have similar success anywhere else. And that’s what differentiates best in the nation, vs very good for our program and system.

Why do you think I set the mark of the thread at 1,500? Because that would have put him top 3 in the nation, i.e. best in the nation, along with career rushing leader at TXST.

Maybe next year he gets there (barring injury), maybe not. I expect he will be in the short list for Pre-Season Doak Walker lists. Then I’ll probably agree with you (depending on who goes pro and who comes back), but for this year, be it coaching, tougher schedule, sharing red zone carries, whatever the case….he fell short.