Thoughts on potential candidates to replace Jake Spavital

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Have we discussed this at all? I've been snowboarding for a week and somewhat out of pocket, and am just now seeing this.

Eric Morris from UIW HC to Washington State OC
GJ Kinne from UCF Co-OC to UIW HC

I still remember Kinne as a recruit and remember thinking at some point he'd be a coach because his dad was and he was smarter than he was talented. His ascension to D1 HC is ridiculous - 6yrs from GA to HC.
As a coach:

B

Bakertxst04

This guy has sack and for that alone should be next up:

I really like Carthel. I remembered this story from last year about how he had his dad coach a game for him when he was out with the 'vid. Great article that gives you a lot of insight to his personality.

El Gato

Todd Graham at Hawaii and formerly at Arizona State may soon be available. Looks like he may be a dead man walking at this point. Though it is a joke, and we wouldn't even consider him, this would mean a load of assistant coaches would be looking for jobs stateside if he were fired.

Hawaii football coach Todd Graham responds to abuse allegations (usatoday.com)
14 players have entered transfer portal, forcing Graham and the AD to put out a statement on it. Shortly after that statement his own son hopped into the portal:

vp98

Yeah but they can always rely of the draft to get blue chip players, we can’t really do anything to get players that can compete except coach players up or land hidden gem player’s. I feel like it’s a lot easier for a bad franchise to get good in the NFL when compared to college programs.
They do but that doesn't mean they do anything with them. What about perpetual dumpster fires like the Detroit Lions and the New York Jets? How many first round picks did Cleveland waste on QB's? Now they are throwing Baker Mayfield under to bus. He's their best QB since Bernie Kosar. They need to remember how bad they were before Mayfield got there.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Last edited:

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
I'd go w/:

HC Knowles -or- Leavitt
DC Washington
OC Surratt
After learning about UT's new WR coach, I'd go w/ him at OC in a heartbeat. Unique offense that doesn't require a great passing QB to be successful. Dude has even written a book on it.

Brennan Marion
Amazon: Go-Go Offense
YT:Brennan Marion Breaks Down the Basics of the Go-Go Offense!
YT:Go-Go Football Offense: Running Out of the Right Formation!
YT:FBGPU's Talkin' Ball with The Czar: Brennan Marion talks Go-Go Offense & NFL

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
After learning about UT's new WR coach, I'd go w/ him at OC in a heartbeat. Unique offense that doesn't require a great passing QB to be successful. Dude has even written a book on it.

Brennan Marion
Amazon: Go-Go Offense
YT:Brennan Marion Breaks Down the Basics of the Go-Go Offense!
YT:Go-Go Football Offense: Running Out of the Right Formation!
YT:FBGPU's Talkin' Ball with The Czar: Brennan Marion talks Go-Go Offense & NFL
$22 for the book. Maybe Spav could buy a copy with that enhanced recruiting budget.

vp98

How Spav voted in USA Today Coaches poll:

Jake Spavital, Texas State
1. Georgia

2. Alabama

3. Michigan

4. Cincinnati

5. Baylor

6. Oklahoma State

7. Ohio State

8. Michigan State

9. Notre Dame

10. Oklahoma

11. Utah

12. Pittsburgh

13. Mississippi

14. Clemson

15. Houston

16. Louisiana-Lafayette

17. Kentucky

18. Wake Forest

19. Brigham Young

20. Arkansas

21. Utah State

22. San Diego State

23. Iowa

24. Texas A&M

25. Texas-San Antonio

Final Poll:

RankTeamRecordPTS1stPrevChgHi/Lo
1Georgia14-1155062321/5
2Alabama13-2148801-11/5
3Michigan12-2139802-12/NR
4Cincinnati13-11346042/10
5Ohio State11-212790723/12
6Baylor12-21275066/NR
7Oklahoma State12-211970925/23
8Michigan State11-2106601026/NR
9Notre Dame11-2102805-45/13
10Oklahoma11-299401332/13
11Mississippi10-390908-38/25
12Utah10-4877011-111/NR
13Pittsburgh11-3742012-112/NR
14Wake Forest11-360901959/NR
15Kentucky10-3592020511/NR
16Clemson10-352802262/NR
17Houston12-2510021416/NR
18UL Lafayette13-1502017-117/NR
19NC State9-3453018-118/NR
20Arkansas9-4354024411/NR
21Oregon10-4336015-63/21
22Brigham Young10-3284014-810/NR
23Iowa10-4276016-72/23
24Utah State11-31420NR324/NR
25Texas A&M8-4133023-25/NR
Dropped out:
No. 25 Texas-San Antonio.

Others receiving votes:
San Diego State 114; Wisconsin 75; Air Force 42; Minnesota 23; Texas-San Antonio 11; Coastal Carolina 7; Purdue 6; Fresno State 3; Army 1.

DrumCat

So with Peeler and Whitworth gone, who do we expect to replace them? OC/WR Coach and RB/ST respectively.

Keff said on his last pod he hasn't heard any rumblings. His (purely speculative) theory is internal replacements (pretty hard to hire someone for a potentially 1-year gig) with Hamilton being promoted to OC and Boone Feldt (Grad Assistant) being promoted to TEs.

As for RB/ST, Keff theorizes Patrick Doherty who has been Special Teams and Offensive Analyst for us since Spav has been here.

WR duties likely just fall entirely to Bryson Abraham, who I guess was co-WR coach?

Personally I'm not crazy about Hamilton being moved up, not like he's managed to get his own position players to do much of anything the past two years.

Abraham bio: https://txstatebobcats.com/staff-directory/bryson-abraham/591

Feldt Bio: https://txstatebobcats.com/staff-directory/boone-feldt/551

Doherty Bio: https://txstatebobcats.com/staff-directory/patrick-doherty/548

John Dutton

So with Peeler and Whitworth gone, who do we expect to replace them? OC/WR Coach and RB/ST respectively.

Keff said on his last pod he hasn't heard any rumblings. His (purely speculative) theory is internal replacements (pretty hard to hire someone for a potentially 1-year gig) with Hamilton being promoted to OC and Boone Feldt (Grad Assistant) being promoted to TEs.

As for RB/ST, Keff theorizes Patrick Doherty who has been Special Teams and Offensive Analyst for us since Spav has been here.

WR duties likely just fall entirely to Bryson Abraham, who I guess was co-WR coach?

Personally I'm not crazy about Hamilton being moved up, not like he's managed to get his own position players to do much of anything the past two years.

Abraham bio: https://txstatebobcats.com/staff-directory/bryson-abraham/591

Feldt Bio: https://txstatebobcats.com/staff-directory/boone-feldt/551

Doherty Bio: https://txstatebobcats.com/staff-directory/patrick-doherty/548
Internal replacements might be acceptable for a successful program to promote coaches that contributed to the success. When you’re trying to improve your program, seems like you would at least go find talented coaches that have proven themselves worthy of Peelers and Whitworth’s salary. If I was AD, I would see it as an opportunity to prove I was prepared for expected coaching changes. Promoting from within is lazy when you’ve had our level of success. Different story if you’re Bama.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Internal replacements might be acceptable for a successful program to promote coaches that contributed to the success. When you’re trying to improve your program, seems like you would at least go find talented coaches that have proven themselves worthy of Peelers and Whitworth’s salary. If I was AD, I would see it as an opportunity to prove I was prepared for expected coaching changes. Promoting from within is lazy when you’ve had our level of success. Different story if you’re Bama.
At least Peeler used us for a stepping stone.