Thoughts on potential candidates to replace Jake Spavital

Mpf43

Think it depends on what the 6-6 looks like. Six close losses shows improvement. I think spav might be learning how to be a head coach on the job. Cutting him loose at 6-6 with close losses is probably a mistake. If we cannot become bowl eligible than we need to move on.

Bobcat2010

Think it depends on what the 6-6 looks like. Six close losses shows improvement. I think spav might be learning how to be a head coach on the job. Cutting him loose at 6-6 with close losses is probably a mistake. If we cannot become bowl eligible than we need to move on.
Everyone is always learning.

6-6 and it’s time to move on. Even if it is a bowl season. 7-5 (50/50).

New President, new AD, and new gym thing? It still looks weird in the middle of the field. Be better.

I bought tickets just so I can have a front row seat this season. I got a feelin’.

Did the same with Withers. Waived goodbye and all at his last.

Last edited:

Bobcat AirRaid

With Evans at the helm finally at QB (or even Hatcher), In Spav I Trust. 😎

I see us winning 7-9 games, and a Bowl invite.

“We’re going to win games, we’re going to win championships, we’re going to win bowl games”~Jake Spavital, Nov 2018.

View attachment 2550
Is there a consensus among knowledgeable TXST analysts/fans as to whether Evans or Hatcher is a better fit for Spav’s offense, which is more ready, and what QB qualities Spav values generally?

B

Bakertxst04

To be fair our most most winnable games are on the road and we draw App and UL at home along with USM and JMU.

I’d be ok with 6-6 and a shot at a bowl, assuming we beat HBU and don’t lose 45-0 to anyone.

Bobcat2013

M&G Collective Member
Is there a consensus among knowledgeable TXST analysts/fans as to whether Evans or Hatcher is a better fit for Spav’s offense, which is more ready, and what QB qualities Spav values generally?
I wouldn't consider myself knowledgeable but condidering Hatcher has been proven to light up scoreboards before I think he has a leg up. As to fit, I can't really say.

Bobcat1

Based on what I saw in the Spring, Evans has better command of the offense. I actually thought that Spav was running quite a bit to help him manage things better. Hatcher is very streaky, but undeniably talented. The streakiness may have been more because he was still learning the playbook.

Bobcat2010

I mean, that didn't even really help did it?
It wasn’t meant as facetious as it sounded, but there is a cornel there. We showed “improvement” against Covid teams, and it (Covid) is the event that created the transfer market. If there is only a marginal increase with a higher scholarship count available and a deeper talent pool in the transfer market then the limits are in the TXST infrastructure (but that been addressed apparently) or in the coaching (which I haven’t seen evidence otherwise).

I’m assuming the 2022-2023 season sees the most parody in College because of this, so it reasonable to assume the rising tide raises TXST. The illusion of a 6 win bowl team would be a result of outside factors more so than anything the coaching did. This is why my watermark is 7 wins.

Last edited:

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
I think I would consider myself one of our anyalysts/fans but I wouldn’t even begin to know how to answer that. Maybe whichever one of them has a higher screen pass completion rate.

Bobcat1

Who gives us the chance to win more games?
Evans hands down. He plays within the offense & makes the better decisions.

But already we are seeing people on this board anointing Hatcher in much the same way they did with McBride before he even took a snap as a Bobcat. Saying he’s the best QB we’ve had since TJ.

No, he’s not. Evans is. I’d go as far as to say Evans is Bradley George 2.0 in how he handles the offense.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Saying he’s the best QB we’ve had since TJ.
You do love to twist things to fit your narrative, don't you? The quote was:
his ceiling is higher than anyone here since Tyler Jones
Hatcher's ceiling vs TXST QB's best since Jones:
YD 2946 (2019) vs 2061 (Williams)
TD 27 (2019) vs 17 (McBride)
INT 2 (2020) vs 9 (Williams)
COMP % 65.8 (2019) vs 63.6 (Vitt)
Y/A 10.6 (2020) vs 7.6 (Jones/Vitt)
QBR 179.2 (2020) vs 139.4 (Vitt)

Never mind that he played in 32 games vs Vitt's 30 or that his 16 wins in those 3 years is almost double TXST's 9. Or that he's got 3 years of NCAA D1 experience, specifically in the conference we play in, and Evans has never thrown a pass in college, unable to beat out noted studs Vitt and McBride.

But yes, you watched a couple of practices and you have a long history of accurate quarterback evaluation.

vp98

No, he’s not. Evans is. I’d go as far as to say Evans is Bradley George 2.0 in how he handles the offense.
Bradley George = Great arm and great athlete but always thought he was mistake prone and was not a great decision maker. I've never seen any Bobcat in a football uniform with an arm even close to his. He had some good games but really never rose to the occasion and brought us the great win. It may have been because he played more baseball than he played football.

HOT

Texas State: The only Sun Belt school in Texas has fallen behind, as Jake Spavital is 9-27 entering his fourth year. Amid a boom run for the league at places like Louisiana, Coastal Carolina and Appalachian State, there's no arguing that Texas State has a long way to go to catch up both on and off the field. Spavital needs to win in Year 4, as his contract has one year remaining after this season and he's owed $400,000 after this year. This job is coveted by every assistant coach who has ever bought a piece of jerky at a Buc-ee's gas station, as there's a belief the results should be better than zero bowl games in 10 years of FBS play.

I am not seeing the job being that coveted, but gotta hope he has talked to some people who think it is.