Thoughts on potential candidates to replace Jake Spavital

jj1180

Damphousse is a smart guy. He fully understood the current state of the football program when he accepted the job.

I believe Damphousse wants to give Spav a fair shot this season, but the patience are thin and the stakes are high. I’m confident there is a lot going on behind the scenes already this morning, making plans for Spavs replacement.

I would love to see Spav fired next Saturday night if they lose to FIU, simply to send a message to the fans that this isn’t acceptable anymore.

At the end of the day, both Spav and DC are leftovers from Teis. I don’t care about the Bubas Cup or other recent success in the department. I went to bed last night pissed off and tired of the same results. I want Damphousse to clean house and get his people in.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Just for fun, I'll throw this tidbit out there: There's a well known name that has been telling people he wants this job. Not going to give up where he's been previously as I can't even hint without making it obvious, but he'd tick off pretty much every box you'd ask for, from an experience standpoint.

Txst12

Question is why would a “well known name” coach with experience even want to come coach here? Unless it’s purely from a program potential standpoint with KD in charge now.

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
Just for fun, I'll throw this tidbit out there: There's a well known name that has been telling people he wants this job. Not going to give up where he's been previously as I can't even hint without making it obvious, but he'd tick off pretty much every box you'd ask for, from an experience standpoint.
Currently coaching or is that too big of a hint to ask for?

Artycat

M&G Collective Member
More than likely we'll pick up a "Scott Frost" type coach on the rebound and that's only after Spavitals contracts finished, clearly the administration isn't going to pay out the necessary money to fire him.

Txst12

Don’t think it would be a coach that is currently coaching if he’s been openly telling people he wants this job

Bobcat17

M&G Collective Member
Don’t think it would be a coach that is currently coaching if he’s been openly telling people he wants this job
Never know… if it’s an OC or DC trying to get back into the HC game stating interest isn’t a bad thing to do behind closed doors. I know I let people know to think of me if they have a job I covet.

Artycat

M&G Collective Member
Without a bowl game, Spav doesn't finish his contract here.
We shall see, but we've heard that before and if this season decides his fate will he be fired after loss #7 or finish the year since no one else could fill in?

jj1180

Just say the name. This board is seen by 10’s of people. Give us something to be excited about.

TxSt1992

No way in hell Patterson or Herman would come here. Possibly Kittley, just a matter of where his stock is towards the end of the season. I don’t know if we want to go with another OC with no head coaching experience considering how the Spav experiment worked out.

My take is that our next coach should be more like a Fran in terms of head coaching experience. This place is a mess and it’s hard to right the ship when you’ve never done it before. Hire an old guy, let the new president do his work, let DC get the facilities built, then start hiring hiring hot shot young guys that can take it to the next level.
What we need to do is stop using that
My wife is tired of me saying he should have fired his brother 2 years ago. Now he needs to be fired because he still hasn't, in addition to his lack of offensive effectiveness. Watching Troy, Coastal, S. Miss, now that was fun and exciting.
He needed to fire himself as OC after the second season as well.

If you go see the coaches page in the TXST website, every single last one of them has been with us 3-4 years. Absolutely nothing wrong with this if we were winning, but you have to make changes if things aren't working. He's been trying to put a round peg into a square hole for the past four years and its just not working.

BobcatRaider

Jeff Grimes, Jeff Lebby, Doug Belk… trying to think of some potential others.

I obviously love Zach Kittley but I have some hesitations giving a 31 year old with such little experience the HC role. On top of that, he may be tough to pry away from Tech. He had OC offers from Auburn & Miami but Lubbock & Tech are very important to him. Not only is it his alma mater & hometown, but his dad is the longtime head track coach there. I could see Tech offering him a ton to stay if he has a year like I expect him to. It’ll be harder with Tech already losing QB1 like they do every year.

I would love Patterson here and think he could get some recruiters on staff, but I don’t know if he’d be interested. I hate Herman, so it’s hard for me to be impartial with that suggestion.

BobcatRaider

Grimes would do well. Pass on Lebby, hard pass on Patterson.

I understand the reservation against hiring another OC without HC experience, but that’s a bad lens - try to interview Kittley and see if he gets it/wants it. I would also look hard at Traylor’s key guys — he hires well.
Hiring an OC without HC experience is not something I worry about. Sure, I’m scarred by Kliff’s tenure at Tech & Spav’s tenure here, but OC->HC is obviously very common. My reservations with Kittley are that he’s 31 and aside from being an excellent, Kliff-like playcaller what has he shown to be worthy of a HC? If it were 3 years from now I’d be more inclined to be onboard and he very well could be excellent, but it’s an incredibly risky hire for a program that desperately needs a hit.

I’m very partial to hiring an up-and-comer than a back tread P5 coach. Patterson could do well but I wonder about his motivation here. I’d much rather hire a young, fiery coach trying to make a name for himself.

Bobcat1

What we need to do is stop using that

He needed to fire himself as OC after the second season as well.

If you go see the coaches page in the TXST website, every single last one of them has been with us 3-4 years. Absolutely nothing wrong with this if we were winning, but you have to make changes if things aren't working. He's been trying to put a round peg into a square hole for the past four years and its just not working.
Save for the people who jumped ship this past offseason when they saw the writing on the wall. Makes sense now why Jacob Peeler & Zion Childress both chunked the ✌🏼 (And even McBride) to greener pastures.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Guarantee you we bring back David Bailiff, which wouldn’t be a bad idea bc he may bring back Tom Herman (OC), Jason Washington (DC) & Barrick Nealy (QB coach) on his staff. 🧐🤷🏻‍♂️
Washington is the only one with any chance of ever coaching in SM again.

franslasttwinkie

The way I see things if we lose to FIU which is definitely within the realm of possibility right now then our 7th loss is probably at home against USM. That buys Kelly plenty of time for him to put feelers out for new HC before sending him on his way at the end of that game. If we beat FIU by a single score or even more embarrassing..again in OT then the 7th may come on the road in Monroe which might delay the fire on the road.

Chances are I see Spav getting very lucky like he usually does a couple OTs a year and screws us out of a timely good hire and waits to pickup loss 7 against ULL after everyone who had vacancies this year already filled them