Thoughts on potential candidates to replace Jake Spavital

slycat

HOT

Texas State: The only Sun Belt school in Texas has fallen behind, as Jake Spavital is 9-27 entering his fourth year. Amid a boom run for the league at places like Louisiana, Coastal Carolina and Appalachian State, there's no arguing that Texas State has a long way to go to catch up both on and off the field. Spavital needs to win in Year 4, as his contract has one year remaining after this season and he's owed $400,000 after this year. This job is coveted by every assistant coach who has ever bought a piece of jerky at a Buc-ee's gas station, as there's a belief the results should be better than zero bowl games in 10 years of FBS play.

I am not seeing the job being that coveted, but gotta hope he has talked to some people who think it is.
Maybe in the since that it is such a dumpster fire that if you turn it around you'll get a lot of press and attention which helps jump you to a bigger things.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
It's definitely a quality gig, for all the reasons we have posted here dozens of times. Just takes the right staff to get over the hump - it's not like we haven't been *this* close several times over the past 10yrs.

Good series of articles on the most important assistant coaching hires this past cycle over at footballscoop.com right now. Good names to pay attention to for this thread.

15 Tim DeRuyter - Texas Tech
14 Rob Sale - Florida
13 Joe Gillespie - TCU
12 Brennan Marion - Texas
11 Derek Mason - OKST
10 Erik Kaisau - Auburn
9 Mike Denbrock - LSU
8 Jesse Minter - Michigan
7 Mark Whipple - Nebraska
6 Josh Henson - USC
5 Jeff Lebby - OU
4 Josh Gattis - Miami
3 Wes Goodwin - Clemson
2 DJ Durkin - Texas A&M
1 Jim Knowles - Ohio State

Last edited:

Bobcat2010

It's definitely a quality gig, for all the reasons we have posted here dozens of times. Just takes the right staff to get over the hump - it's not like we haven't been *this* close several times over the past 10yrs.

Good series of articles on the most important assistant coaching hires this past cycle over at footballscoop.com right now. Good names to pay attention to for this thread.

15 Tim DeRuyter - Texas Tech
14 Rob Sale - Florida
13 Joe Gillespie - TCU
12 Brennan Marion - Texas
11 Derek Mason - OKST
10 Erik Kaisau - Auburn
9 Mike Denbrock - LSU
Gary Patterson

Kwoods728

Getting blown out tonight made me create an account here. I’ve followed on Twitter for a while, and remember some old boards. Sadly, the overall theme of Texas State football has been missing the bowls under Fran, and disaster after disaster since. Just brutal.

Here we are again needing a massive change, while other programs see very quick gains, and then ride some ups and downs. We have nothing to show on the field since stepping up. Hopefully the two new head honchos get it right, and we capitalize on all the great things Texas State can offer.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Tom Herman or Gary Patterson would be at the top of my list, not that i think either would take the job.
Herman has a job as an announcer. This thing is unsalvageable at this point but we will need a new Portal Prophet next year.

LT Spider

No way in hell Patterson or Herman would come here. Possibly Kittley, just a matter of where his stock is towards the end of the season. I don’t know if we want to go with another OC with no head coaching experience considering how the Spav experiment worked out.

My take is that our next coach should be more like a Fran in terms of head coaching experience. This place is a mess and it’s hard to right the ship when you’ve never done it before. Hire an old guy, let the new president do his work, let DC get the facilities built, then start hiring hiring hot shot young guys that can take it to the next level.

TxSt1992

Ya, *if* Spav gets fired mid season, I would expect them to promote someone on staff as the interim HC and wait till the off season to hire the replacement.

Wondering who among these coaches would you guys choose as the interim HC in a hypothetical mid-season firing. Looking at the list there's only two real candidates. Bryan Hamilton and Clay Jennings, the other guys are all in their 20s or early 30s and don't have 5-6 years of coaching experience. Bryan Hamilton was a successful high school head coach in California for many years prior to joining the college ranks. Clay Jennings has had a 20+ year career coaching at a rather impressive list of schools: Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, Arkansas.
The reality is that Spavital brothers would probably end up staying till the end of the season regardless of what happens.

SWTRefugee

M&G Gift Contributor
Time to vote with your feet and not put your butt in the seat. Showing up at all is an endorsement of the status quo. If you have purchased season tickets, email DC directly and ask for a refund. This is fraud at this point.

mba2000

My wife is tired of me saying he should have fired his brother 2 years ago. Now he needs to be fired because he still hasn't, in addition to his lack of offensive effectiveness. Watching Troy, Coastal, S. Miss, now that was fun and exciting.

PecosGuy

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Question for Jake Spavital press conference:
Coach, all off season you’ve mentioned we are deeper on the lines than ever before and have several players in the 2-deep with playing experience at P5 level.

Can you explain why Saturdays game looked too fast for our players especially are OLine , QB, and Offensive Play calling?

Bobcat1

Question for Jake Spavital press conference:
Coach, all off season you’ve mentioned we are deeper on the lines than ever before and have several players in the 2-deep with playing experience at P5 level.

Can you explain why Saturdays game looked too fast for our players especially are OLine , QB, and Offensive Play calling?
Our QB is a fourth year starter, no reason why the game shouldn’t be slow to him by now. But his confidence is shot, which is a huge liability for a QB.

AstroCat05

M&G Gift Contributor
When Spav gets fired he’ll blame lack of institutional support, he won’t be wrong. However there are schools with a lot less resources and are way better coached than what we’ve seen in year three and four of the Spav experiment. I feel like Spav has been laying the groundwork for the narrative that this place is a disaster to cover up his own shortcomings as a head coach.

DC and Damphouse are improving it slowly and it will take time. this is the first big outward facing decision DC and Damp will have to make, hope they don’t screw it up

We need need a mature head coach who can win in the current environment. Hell I would have taken Rich Rod from ULM but now he’s at Jacksonville State. Spav hasn’t shown the maturity to deal with adversity.