2022 Off Season Thread

slycat

Is it true some (all of the seniors) have that additional COVID year to burn and could return?

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
That's a better question for @_x_ but from what's listed in their school bios:

Adams and Small both played 5 years - I think this was their Covid year.

Harrell and Asberry have each played 4 years - should have another to play.

Ceaser has only played 3 years - one at JuCo and 2 here. Should have 2 left.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
Yes I think LTK5H is correct.

Small and Adams are gone for sure. They were "super seniors" or whatever you want to call them this year. Everyone else should have the option to return. Keep in mind we signed 3 in the early period so we're planning on a minimum of 3 exiting though.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
That’s a huge bummer. I know every player has to do what’s best for themselves, but losing your best player hurts.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Thought he was a guy that would try to “level up” all year until his interview with Keff. Got my hopes up

slycat

Tough loss. Next year will likely be a reality check after a couple great years. I was hoping the core would stay and give the new recruits a chance to get a year in before they start to take over.

BobcatRaider

Tough loss. Next year will likely be a reality check after a couple great years. I was hoping the core would stay and give the new recruits a chance to get a year in before they start to take over.
If we return Harrell & Caesar and can find a couple solid P6 transfers looking for more playing time, we could be towards the top of the SBC. For those keeping track - any idea of the estimated number scholarships available this off-season? Obviously a lot depends on Harrell, Caesar, and additional out going transfers.

slycat

If we return Harrell & Caesar and can find a couple solid P6 transfers looking for more playing time, we could be towards the top of the SBC. For those keeping track - any idea of the estimated number scholarships available this off-season? Obviously a lot depends on Harrell, Caesar, and additional out going transfers.
With Small and Asberry gone, we need another big. Yeah yeah Asberry isn't a typical big but his size helped a lot that we have lacked in the past.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
For those keeping track - any idea of the estimated number scholarships available this off-season? Obviously a lot depends on Harrell, Caesar, and additional out going transfers.
Right now I believe we are full:
Sr: Harrell, Ceaser
Jr: Jenkins, Morgan, Drinnon
So: Dawson, Coleman, Martin, Lacewell
Fr: Love
Incoming Fr: Jones, Sykes, Mason

I think Jenkins is out the door which would open up 1 more. Our biggest recruiting project over the off-season may be getting Harrell to stay...
Problem is if we end up with only 1 spot to fill it becomes really difficult to decide what position to target. While everyone (myself included) wants a big in a bad way, we're gonna be really thin at SG without Asberry. It'll be Dawson, Coleman, and Mason there. Meanwhile we don't have size at center but we at least have bodies with Ceaser, Martin, and hopefully a much improved Love (who's an inch taller than both Ceaser and Martin). I have a feeling we'd fill that last spot with another SG and recruit another big next year once Ceaser is out the door.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Right now I believe we are full:
Sr: Harrell, Ceaser
Jr: Jenkins, Morgan, Drinnon
So: Dawson, Coleman, Martin, Lacewell
Fr: Love
Incoming Fr: Jones, Sykes, Mason

I think Jenkins is out the door which would open up 1 more. Our biggest recruiting project over the off-season may be getting Harrell to stay...
Problem is if we end up with only 1 spot to fill it becomes really difficult to decide what position to target. While everyone (myself included) wants a big in a bad way, we're gonna be really thin at SG without Asberry. It'll be Dawson, Coleman, and Mason there. Meanwhile we don't have size at center but we at least have bodies with Ceaser, Martin, and hopefully a much improved Love (who's an inch taller than both Ceaser and Martin). I have a feeling we'd fill that last spot with another SG and recruit another big next year once Ceaser is out the door.
I’m kind of bullish on Dawson. Think he’s the best 3 point shooter on the team and remember TJ talking up his defense. Harrell being 5-8 and not a great athlete, think he’s back unless he’s got a legit job lined up.

I think a 3 or a 4 is more of a need than SG or C. Right now only Morgan is coming back who played either spot. Drinnon and Harrell will probably play some together to limit the SG minutes. Give me a 4 that lets Morgan play the 3. That’s the way to go for me.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I've got Jones and Sykes penciled in as 3s right now. But we'll see how TJ plans to use them. 4 is an issue for sure. We're gonna need Lacewell to develop into a major contributor, and he barely played this year. Morgan is woefully undersized to play the 4. You may be right in that we go after a 4 with Small gone. Between Dawson, Coleman, Mason, Jones, Sykes, and maybe Morgan hopefully we can piece together a viable rotation at the 2 and 3, which lets be honest were basically the same position this year anyway.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Filing this one under musings:

5 years ago today, TXST lost in the Quarterfinals of the CIT to St. Peter's University.

Today, 15 seed St. Peter's University will play 3 seed Purdue in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
I wish Asberry all the best. If he goes to UTSA I won't wish him all the best anymore.....

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Thought this was pretty easy to use if you hit the transfer portal tab. It ranks all the guys in the portal via his algorithm. Think there are some flaws as Georgia State has a guy leaving that’s ranked 13th but he looks like a guy off the bench for them. I’m sure more examples of that. Asberry checks in at 59 right now (I’m sure there will be many more names entering the portal). But thought sorting it by previous/new team is an easy way to see guys leaving per team or the search function.

https://evanmiya.com/