2022 Off Season Thread

vp98

nUTSAck banners are up in the ATT Center in SA during the NCAA South Regional Final with Houston vs Villanova. Does nutSAck basketball play there now? Does anybody still think that SA hasn't completely abandoned txst and rallied around nutSAck?

Fiefdom

nUTSAck banners are up in the ATT Center in SA during the NCAA South Regional Final with Houston vs Villanova. Does nutSAck basketball play there now? Does anybody still think that SA hasn't completely abandoned txst and rallied around nutSAck?
UTSA is just the local sponsor school so they let them hang what little banners they have up for the Tourney.

I guess it was them, IWU, or St Mary's.

They still play in the high school gym and suck at basketball.

vp98

In order for them to abandon us they would've had to have cared about us at some point in the past, which they never did.
When I was a student a good chunk of our students were from nutSAck. Jeff Foster was from there. nUTSAck licked until about my senior year.

Bobcat1

Huh? Well Isiah Small Deleted his tweet about entering his name into the NBA draft
When you’re not a sure fire draft pick, it makes absolutely no sense to give up another season in a protected environment like a college team while getting an advanced degree to make you more competitive in the real world for when your playing days are over.

BobcatRaider

When you’re not a sure fire draft pick, it makes absolutely no sense to give up another season in a protected environment like a college team while getting an advanced degree to make you more competitive in the real world for when your playing days are over.
While I agree with your premise in theory, everyone’s situation is different. There are plenty of kids who need to start earning for their families ASAP and see basketball as their ticket. If there’s money to be made overseas, why waste another year in college when you can get a paycheck for that year? Especially for a player like Small who would never realistically make it in the league. Go make $100k playing in Europe and provide for your family.

BobcatRaider

Also, I was under the impression Small was out of eligibility. Of the olds, I thought only Asberry, Harrell, and Caesar could potentially return. Is that not the case?

FWIW, so far Asberry has been offered by Wichita State, UAB, and Loyola Chicago.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
He won't. They don't have much room at all, if any. I think Asberry can play P5, but not as a real contributor on a Top 25 team,

Basketball recruiting

The Texas staff was on the road in DFW Thursday to see signee Arterio Morris, and made several other stops. Those stops included Lake Highlands to see 2024 SG Tre Johnson, who is considered a top-5 prospect nationally in the class. Johnson’s father signed with Baylor out of high school. Rodney Terry was one of the Baylor assistants at the time who recruited Johnson’s father.

The moment former Port Arthur Memorial power forward Kennth Lofton Jr. hit the portal, Texas was all in. The Louisiana Tech 6-foot-7, 275-pound power forward that averaged 16.5 points, 10 rebounds and 2.8 assists this season will also put his name in the NBA Draft for feedback purposes, but is expected to transfer and play another season or two in college. Texas has some serious ties to Lofton Jr. His cousin is Jamaal Charles, and Lofton gets out to Austin to spend time with Charles multiple times per year. In fact, there is a good chance Lofton will be in Austin very soon, and that will include chatting with the Texas staff. Texas freshman defensive back Jaylon Guilbeau also knows Lofton. Lofton’s father and J’Covan Brown’s father know each other. Texas will have a fight on their hands to land the coveted power forward. The University of Houston is also all in, and is expected to make a substantial NIL push. Lofton is seen as a player that could potentially put Houston over the top to win that elusive National Championship.

On the Texas team, there is some growing optimism on a couple of players returning. Christian Bishop was the first starter to announce he plans to return. Things seem to be trending more positive with Timmy Allen, as of Thursday.
Timmy Allen and Marcus Carr
There has been continued positive feelings in recent days about the return of forward Timmy Allen for one more season. Allen led the Longhorns in scoring (12.1 ppg), rebounds (6.4), steals (1.2) and was second on the team in assists. He earned National Association of Basketball Coaches All-District 8 Second Team honors following the season.
Inside Texas has mentioned that there was a good chance Allen would return for a fifth season of college basketball. Over the weekend, IT was told by two different sources that Marcus Carr is giving some thought to coming back for another season. We are by no means saying he is coming back, to be clear. But there is some thought about it.
Not expected back
Barring a change, guards Courtney Ramey and Andrew Jones are not expected back. Ramey considered not coming back prior to last season with a desire to be more of a primary ball handler. While that is not his strength as a player, that is an area he desires to get better. Should Ramey announce he is not coming back, pro options overseas is the likely route.
Decision to be made
Dylan Disu is one prospect that IT continues to hear is not a lock to be back. The 6-foot-9 junior didn’t have the season anticipated after a long recovery from offseason knee surgery. The Texas staff believes Disu could take a big step to return to prior for next season, should he return.
Top target in the portal
Louisiana Tech power forward Kenneth Lofton Jr. continues to be the top target in the transfer portal. The former state champion at Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial is seen as a difference-making paint scorer the program lacked this season. The 6-foot-7, 275-pound skilled forward with quick feet and a mid-range game averaged 16.5 points and 10.5 rebounds this season for the Bulldogs. He burst onto the national scene after leading the 2021 FIBA U19 Team USA in scoring last summer. He led a team in scoring that included Gonzaga freshman Chet Holmgren, Purdue star guard Jaden Ivey, and other NBA draft prospects.
Lofton Jr. is the cousin of former Texas and NFL running back Jamaal Charles. Lofton Jr. is expected to be in Austin soon to spend time with Charles, and take a closer look at Texas. The Longhorns main competition is expected to be Houston, who covets Lofton as well.
The Texas staff has reached out to more than a dozen players in the portal to make initial contact. Very few will go beyond a first, or second conversation. The staff is looking for the correct fits that are talented enough to play at Texas. This is not a collection of talent this off season.

BobcatRaider

I could see Kenny Lofton Jr. staying at LaTech now that they’ve hired Talvin Hester. They’re very close. KLJ likely would’ve ended up in Lubbock had Hester not gotten the job in Ruston.

slycat

When I was a student a good chunk of our students were from nutSAck. Jeff Foster was from there. nUTSAck licked until about my senior year.
Sure, but it doesn't mean the city cares. They have never supported TXST in SA. We are barely a blip on the Austin radar and nothing in SA.