2022 Off Season Thread

BobcatRaider

With the 800+ players in the portal, which is rapidly growing, it seems we could easily find some guys to upgrade the roster. I understand the desire to build through recruiting classes, but the portal is huge player now and we’d be silly to not utilize it like seemingly every other program. I’d much rather add talented high major players looking for playing time than JUCO kids, but it seems Johnson has his own method of building the roster.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
If we have one spot to fill I suspect its likely we fill it through the portal. We got the HS guys we wanted in the early period, any remaining slots in the regular period may be filled with transfers is my guess.

slycat

Whoa! Time for one last stAte to TXST move.

I wish but he will get some decent offers and go somewhere with a guarantee of March Madness.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
That's a relief. PG is the most important position on the floor and Harrell is a very good one.
We are supposed to have some baller freshman coming in. I hate the way we have gone out the last two years in the conference tournament, but we have a lot of things to point to for next season being good. God bless Mason Harrell.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
Hmm, that is disappointing but he really hasn't gotten many minutes for us. Harrell coming back all but ensures he won't play next season.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Just looking at what OKST has coming back at G....and they do run a G heavy offense.

Bryce Thompson, former 5* recruit, 6'5" 195# - leading scorer
Avery Anderson, 6'3" 170# - 2nd leading scorer, 3rd team B12
Bryce Williams, 6'2" 180# - 4th leading scorer...not certain he's coming back, but it appears he has another year of eligibility
Rondel Walker, 6'5" 180# - 7th in scoring

BobcatRaider

Just looking at what OKST has coming back at G....and they do run a G heavy offense.

Bryce Thompson, former 5* recruit, 6'5" 195# - leading scorer
Avery Anderson, 6'3" 170# - 2nd leading scorer, 3rd team B12
Bryce Williams, 6'2" 180# - 4th leading scorer...not certain he's coming back, but it appears he has another year of eligibility
Rondel Walker, 6'5" 180# - 7th in scoring
They also signed Russell Harrison from ULM. He’s more of a wing, but most guards & wings compete for PT nowadays with positionless basketball’s emergence. Some solid outside shooting for the Pokes between Harrison & Asberry. Too bad they lost Isaac Likekele because I think he would’ve complemented Asberry well.

As a TXST fan, it annoys me that top mid-major players almost all leave their respective programs for P6 schools now. With that said, as a fan of Tech, who builds 75% of their roster yearly with top mid-major players, it’s hypocritical to say that.

I understand Asberry’s desire to upgrade. Sadly coming off the bench at Oklahoma State is more enticing to some of these guys than being one of the top players at TXST.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Sadly coming off the bench at Oklahoma State is more enticing to some of these guys than being one of the top players at TXST.
I think being part of a legit bigtime program has a lot of appeal, and I completely get it. It bums me out, but I understand why someone would want that overall experience, even with a diminished on-court role.

codestar

M&G Gift Contributor
I think everyone on our team (as well as us) just want to be a part of march madness. I think his odds are a lot better at OSU

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Not sure it has as much to do w/ the tournament specifically, but as part of the overall experience, absolutely. Literally every aspect of their program is better than ours. From their locker room to their travel accommodations to free swag to fan support to opponents. It's equivalent to moving from the Round Rock Express to the Houston Astros.