2022 Recruiting: Offers, Commits, De-Commits, etc.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Second signing day is April 12-May 17. If they add a juco/high school guy, could be announced next week.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
There’s a hell of a lot of talent out there. I know Johnson’s connections are AAU/HS, but I don’t fully understand the desire to not play the portal like everyone else. I also know I’m beating a dead horse at this point.

Depends on openings. Right now there is only one, and that’s assuming Jenkins is moving on. I’d bet the staff is pushing for Asberry to return even if it’s a lost cause, too. They may truly believe in the Louisiana kid that named them in the top 3. Seems if they go four HS kids, it might be a mini reset, but hard to see them going that way with Harrell’s return. Maybe (hopefully) there’s another open scholarship somewhere to add an impact guy.

BobcatRaider

Depends on openings. Right now there is only one, and that’s assuming Jenkins is moving on. I’d bet the staff is pushing for Asberry to return even if it’s a lost cause, too. They may truly believe in the Louisiana kid that named them in the top 3. Seems if they go four HS kids, it might be a mini reset, but hard to see them going that way with Harrell’s return. Maybe (hopefully) there’s another open scholarship somewhere to add an impact guy.
This is how I see things as well. There’s nothing wrong with building through HS, but after winning the conference the last 2 years, it’s hard to sit back and watch a mini rebuild when there’s a way to continue staying old and winning. Especially considering we missed the tournament both times.

With that said, I like our 3 HS signings a lot and look forward to them growing within the program. Unfortunately that’s becoming an archaic way of building a roster with the emergence of the portal. Further, with the new way of the world, as a mid-major program, you have to expect with any “hit” on a HS prospect, there’s a good chance they’ll try to level up and find a P6 opportunity with any success here. Hedging those potential portal losses (like Asberry) with portal additions seems like a necessity.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Not as excited about this add but hope he proves me wrong. Does look like he shot the 3 ball well and led his team in assists. Previous school is an NAIA program and they won the championship this past season. Beat their opponents by an average of 20 points. Nothing from Texas State side yet but assuming it is a scholarship add and not a walk-on.

_x_

M&G Gift Contributor
PG not exactly the position I figured we'd target after Harrell's announcement IF we only have one spot to fill. Now wondering if its gonna end up being more than one spot to fill.

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member

Officially announced. In the article it sounds like 10 returnees (nine scholarship+Whitlock) then the four scholarship adds. Obviously things could change but believe you have to be in the portal by May 1 to be eligible to play the 22-23 season for fall/winter sports, and right now we are full.

Think we’ll see a lot of 2 PG lineups. Davis is probably coming in to fill more Asberry’s minutes that can be the third PG (we had Adams be the third ball handler at times last season) but I just put him on the PG line. Asberry, Adams, Small will be a lot to replace. Likely going to need Jones/Sykes to come in a be a big minute getter immediately and can cobble some more minutes at the 3 spot going small with 3 guards, or bigger with Morgan getting clock there. Would have liked one F/C add to slide Morgan to the 3 but looks like we are rolling with what we got. Harrell and Ceaser the only guys who should for sure be out of eligibility.

PG- Harrell Sr* - Drinnon rSr - Davis Sr
G- Dawson Jr - Coleman Jr - Mason Fr
W- Jones Fr/Sykes Fr
F- Morgan Sr - Lacewell Jr
C- Ceasar Sr* - Martin Jr - Love So

franslasttwinkie

To Saul’s point early on the board there’s a huge difference between winning a regular season back to back and making the big dance back to back in the eyes of recruiting

Maybe TJ will eventually put a big emphasis on not being a 1 and done

Last edited:

stlwildcats

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
In a previous interview Jones said his cousin was on the team. Came to the conclusion that was Asberry (his dad’s last name is Jones, granted a common name). Sucks to lose both those guys and maybe go hand in hand. Welp, one spot now open. Let’s get a good one.