2024 Recruiting

Simbo0722

"Unless he can start somewhere else, TXST looks like a decent spot for RJ. We have a 7th year senior with injury history and two raw freshmen backing him up. "
If rumors are true and RJ has committed. We will see if he ends up ahead of PJ on the depth chart. I have said before we need depth and bodies in this room. Could be that GJ really thinks both freshmen have potential and putting bodies between them and the field may drive them to the portal in the future.

2centsworth

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
If rumors are true and RJ has committed. We will see if he ends up ahead of PJ on the depth chart. I have said before we need depth and bodies in this room. Could be that GJ really thinks both freshmen have potential and putting bodies between them and the field may drive them to the portal in the future.
IMHO, PJ is a more electrifying runner than Hornsby, but his throwing motion is broken, making him a worse passer than even Malik. To me, Brad Jackson looked like the better quarterback in the spring. I don't think we can win 6 games with PJ or Brad. RJ would at least give us a fighting chance to stay competitive.

franslasttwinkie

Our #3/4 WR goes to Baylor and in return we get BU's #3 QB. Bet Spav didn't want him to go and have to rely on Robertson who actually had a pretty solid 2nd half against our D in somewhat garbage time whatever that is worth. With a mobile QB like Finn who will be taking a lot more hits in the Big 12 than MAC I'm sure they wanted to keep the depth.

Anyone think with RJ's numbers in a solid Big Sky conference that he is being brought in for a real open competition?

Last edited:

Bobcat1

Anyone think with RJ's numbers in a solid Big Sky conference that he is being brought in for a real open competition?
No. I honestly can’t tell what’s going on in this coaching staff’s mind when they evaluate QBs. Other than surefire McCloud and pleasant surprise Finley, they’ve whiffed on seven QBs already.

Simbo0722

No. I honestly can’t tell what’s going on in this coaching staff’s mind when they evaluate QBs. Other than surefire McCloud and pleasant surprise Finley, they’ve whiffed on seven QBs already.
SEVEN?
Lindsey Scott
TJ Finley
Hornsby 1 - turned himself in to a WR
Hatter
Brad Jackson
Kaiser
De laura 2 - UFL qb
McCloud
Rogers (spav guy)

who am I missing? Unless a whiff means no Heisman trophy..

atxman

“Whiffed”? That kind of perjorative rhetoric grates. The reality is this staff has just one season under its belt and got a starting QB who won us a bowl in that first season. Now we have a QB who was conference PoY ready for the second season. Does the fact that the other QBs weren’t/aren’t starters make them a “whiff”? I swear, sometimes folks in here seem desperate for something to bitch about.

Bobcat1

SEVEN?
Lindsey Scott
TJ Finley
Hornsby 1 - turned himself in to a WR
Hatter
Brad Jackson
Kaiser
De laura 2 - UFL qb
McCloud
Rogers (spav guy)

who am I missing? Unless a whiff means no Heisman trophy..
Letting Evans & Rogers walk (both starter level talents for TXST). That’s two.

Hornsby, Hatter, Kaiser, De Laura, & Jackson never did or will never take a meaningful snap (barring injury) here.

That’s seven QB evals that they’ve whiffed. To use baseball terms, that’s a 0.222 hit percentage. Lower if we include RJ, who is talented but haven’t seen much on him as of yet to gauge if he will ever start for us or not.

atxman

Ummm… You realize a team starts just one QB at a time, right? Under your logic, a staff could have a winning, four-year starter but “whiff” on every other QB they recruit who didn’t earn a start or who decided to move on because they wanted a better opportunity to start elsewhere. How does that make sense?

stallionjockey

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
Letting Evans & Rogers walk (both starter level talents for TXST). That’s two.

Hornsby, Hatter, Kaiser, De Laura, & Jackson never did or will never take a meaningful snap (barring injury) here.

That’s seven QB evals that they’ve whiffed. To use baseball terms, that’s a 0.222 hit percentage. Lower if we include RJ, who is talented but haven’t seen much on him as of yet to gauge if he will ever start for us or not.
This is the dumbest take I’ve ever seen from you and that’s saying something.

franslasttwinkie

GJ can carry as many as 125 bodies on his FBS roster. Surely everyone understands by carrying that many players that having 40 guys on the roster that aren’t ready to meaningfully contribute to a hopeful 10 win squad doesn’t mean that he shouldn’t have recruited them in the first place right? And that isn’t an indictment of GJ…

Particularly QB where only 1 dude (or add pronoun) can take the field out of entire said roster.

LTK5H

M&G Gift Contributor
M&G Collective Member
haven’t seen much on him as of yet to gauge if he will ever start for us or not.
Speaking of whiffs, what's Taxi's hit ratio on QBs he deemed our savior, vs QBs who actually started for us? Or the QBs that actually won for us? And how do we actually score this if he just picks every QB to be the starter?

June - CJ is QB1
I think it will be a three way battle with CJ winning the job and TJ the #2 and Hornsby becoming our next premier offensive weapon at WR like we had with Wasson during the Nealy years.
July - Finley is QB1
But make no mistake about it, he’s QB1 until proven otherwise. Malik is probably fighting for the #2 spot if he decides to stay at QB. I’m still on team CJ, but Finley has proven his mettle at both LSU and Auburn.
August - Hornsby is QB1
It’s not Hornsby’s to lose. It’s Hornsby’s job, period.

TJ is QB2 and CJ QB3, Hatter is a RS.
Of course, there's always the Taxi Classic: Day one starter....Ty Evans

Bobcat1

Ummm… You realize a team starts just one QB at a time, right? Under your logic, a staff could have a winning, four-year starter but “whiff” on every other QB they recruit who didn’t earn a start or who decided to move on because they wanted a better opportunity to start elsewhere. How does that make sense?
Bradley George was on the same roster as Barrick Nealy. Back to back career passing leaders.

Ewers is on the same roster as Arch Manning & Trey Owens.

Cam Newton was on the same roster as Tim Tebow.

Major Applewhite & Chris Simms.

Those are just off the top of my head.

If McCloud goes down, we don’t have anyone waiting in the wings. That’s bad QB recruiting.

Last edited: